Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 11:11 PM

9 posts, read 6,928 times

Advertisements

As a 24 year old guy I can honestly say, thank God college is done, no tests, no papers, no books, nothing. Only good thing to come out of college is my soon-to-be wife Lindsay, very sweet very beautiful " Carolina Classic". We live in an apartment with my dog Patches, my St. Bernard. My dad has joked many times how Lindsay and I are already an old married couple. We're obviously on the same page on many things seeing as how we're soon to be married, but we're also different. She, being a former sorority girl and given her upbringing, is a very preppy, clean cut girl. I'm more blue collar. I will own up to not having a maturity level that is sufficient enough for my age. Don't get it twisted though, when it's time to act with class, I do it, but around friends and family, I "let my hair down". It'a a constant game of me trying to get her to loosen up to my level and her trying to form me into the Super Gentleman 3000. She HATES Patches, views him as a slobbering oaf, he loves her though. What is needed to improve this relationship? A pact of some kind? For 2 years I've tried getting her to wear a ratty shirt belch at the dinner table, no avail. For 2 years, I've been belching at the dinner table, only to be met with " You really know how to woo a lady. "

Old 09-21-2014, 11:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Accept her as she is and quit trying to change her and the same goes for her with you.

The dog, he is a slobbering oaf, most dogs are, especially well, slobbering oaf St. Bernards.

PS ~~ Quit belching at the table it is disgusting and ill mannered.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:22 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,877,650 times
Lots of compromise in marriage if its going to work. It can't be that one gets their way and the other gives in on everything. Otherwise there is resentment and that's not good. Maybe you could offer to give up the belching, and she could try to let her hair down a little in some way.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Yeah, those kind of things don't sound THAT bad to be honest.

I wouldn't stress over it, but I think you should just kind of talk it over and figure out a way that you both can be comfortable without changing your whole personalities. It doesn't sound like either of you are bad or doing anything wrong.

I think you both need to just have a beer, light up a smoke and chill

Old 09-22-2014, 06:09 AM

11,379 posts, read 24,385,676 times
Preppy southern girls love the gentleman farmer thing. That's when a cultured man can and will get his hands dirty to take care of his home and family. But he also has impeccable manners, dresses well, and is an excellent host.

You need to find a good role model and play the part.

Don't be a Bubba.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:22 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,913,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSoda View Post
As a 24 year old guy I can honestly say, thank God college is done, no tests, no papers, no books, nothing. Only good thing to come out of college is my soon-to-be wife Lindsay, very sweet very beautiful " Carolina Classic". We live in an apartment with my dog Patches, my St. Bernard. My dad has joked many times how Lindsay and I are already an old married couple. We're obviously on the same page on many things seeing as how we're soon to be married, but we're also different. She, being a former sorority girl and given her upbringing, is a very preppy, clean cut girl. I'm more blue collar. I will own up to not having a maturity level that is sufficient enough for my age. Don't get it twisted though, when it's time to act with class, I do it, but around friends and family, I "let my hair down". It'a a constant game of me trying to get her to loosen up to my level and her trying to form me into the Super Gentleman 3000. She HATES Patches, views him as a slobbering oaf, he loves her though. What is needed to improve this relationship? A pact of some kind? For 2 years I've tried getting her to wear a ratty shirt belch at the dinner table, no avail. For 2 years, I've been belching at the dinner table, only to be met with " You really know how to woo a lady. "
I'm sure with time there will be a happy medium.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 AM

22,413 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSoda View Post
What is needed to improve this relationship? A pact of some kind? For 2 years I've tried getting her to wear a ratty shirt belch at the dinner table, no avail. For 2 years, I've been belching at the dinner table, only to be met with " You really know how to woo a lady. "
Dress appropriately and stop belching at the table!

Seriously... you are 24. Grow up.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 AM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Dress appropriately and stop belching at the table!

Seriously... you are 24. Grow up.
This.

And anyone that keeps a St. Bernard in an apartment is lucky to find ANYONE to live with them. Ugh.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,364,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This.

And anyone that keeps a St. Bernard in an apartment is lucky to find ANYONE to live with them. Ugh.
Great Danes are also huge but are considered one of the best apartment dogs simply because they require little activity and space and are so content just lounging around.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Great Danes are also huge but are considered one of the best apartment dogs simply because they require little activity and space and are so content just lounging around.
I think that's greyhounds. Danes gallop around and need room to run. (I grew up with them.)

Also, "pork soda"? :shudder:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.