Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 PM

74 posts, read 70,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
If he wants what you want, then telling him all the stuff I quoted here will do the opposite of scaring him off -- it will make him want to get closer to you.

Thank you for this perspective - I think you are totally right!!! Guess I will find out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
He is not treating you like he wants a serious relationship. It appears that you are only a FWB to him. Hold the discussion and the sex and see what happens. When a man wants you for a serious relationship, you will know because he will treat you like he wants you for more than just sex.

I won't be having sex with him until I get a bit more clarity, but I don't plan to hold off both, either. I really appreciate your perspective, though.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:54 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,673 times
Let us know how things go, lillyz. Hope it works out for you!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 PM

Thanks! I will. Fascinating conversation.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:29 AM

833 posts, read 657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyz View Post
This is a good question. Thanks.

Honestly, it's a combination of things, but I usually will have sex with a guy before I feel out whether or not I'd want to be in a serious relationship with him. Maybe it's my high sex drive, maybe it's a slight fear of commitment that I have... I'm not sure. I'm more comfortable with my sexuality than I am with my vulnerability, that is for sure. Definitely am trying to work through it and change this pattern though, because I do want a deep, lasting relationship.

But as for this specific guy... it's too late for that, thus my predicament.
Do not take it as moral policing statement but as a suggestion only: try not to sleep before there is some sort of a deeper understanding of the other person which then gets solidified by that act. This will allow for better outcomes for you.

Wishing you well.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:47 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Early stage of dating you both need time to figure out what you both want. So give a bit of time try to understand who he is what kind of a person is. Don't assume things.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Not all men and women your age (or any age) see the purpose of dating as "pairing off". If your objective is to pair off, then tell him that and ask him what his objectives in dating are.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
He is not treating you like he wants a serious relationship. It appears that you are only a FWB to him. Hold the discussion and the sex and see what happens. When a man wants you for a serious relationship, you will know because he will treat you like he wants you for more than just sex.
Except that, if he is interested in long term, "withholding" sex might cause him to believe that sex will be used as a weapon down the road, and a lot of guys will just say "f--- this" and leave, even if they might have otherwise been interested in more.

Why not just try to start a more deep, emotional conversation with him? Nothing TOO out there, just something more than "what movies/music do you like" type stuff.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:27 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
If he wants what you want, then telling him all the stuff I quoted here will do the opposite of scaring him off -- it will make him want to get closer to you.
I agree - this will help clarify things. If he runs, it wasn't going to happen anyway.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Hah - I swear I've been in this dilemma so many times as a woman. Dating someone and you really start to like them and see relationship potential, but you have no clue if he's on the same page and you don't want to come across as needy by initiating a where is this going conversation. I think if a guy is really into you he will initiate the conversation or bring up being exclusive because the last thing he wants is for someone else to come along and take you away from him. But, a month is still not that long. I think I would hang in there awhile longer. I think guys appreciate women who have their own lives and give them a little breathing room. I hope things work out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships