Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM

22,011 posts, read 19,117,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
And to answer the OP's question - no. I don't think most lesbians are ugly. And even if they were, so what? That's like asking, "What percentage of people pick their nose?" I'm not sure why this question is even being asked, honestly. I don't mean any disrespect to the OP or to anyone who replied to his original post, but it is a bit strange.
gotta agree with this post, a question like this speaks volumes about the person asking the original question, things like "willing to make stereotypes"

Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 AM

388 posts, read 327,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
gotta agree with this post, a question like this speaks volumes about the person asking the original question, things like "willing to make stereotypes"
I'm always willing to make tons of stereotypes. Always fun.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 AM

165 posts, read 661,473 times
Anyone else fantasizing about hollygolightly and her fantastically pretty friends?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,777,398 times
I think that living in California, especially the area I live in, would squash all those stereotypes!! Only because we know each other, I know that many of our employees are gay....tons of gay men and women where I live.

We have people who fit those "stereotypes," and those who don't....therefore, there are no true stereotypes, since none fit into the whole "shebang" as DiamondD said!

I know some pretty darned attractive lesbians, and I am quite sure no one would suspect if they looked. I know some who are still "in the closet," and you'd never flinch an eye to think they're a lesbian. In fact, I would say that of the ones I know, most do not fit the stereotype....you wouldn't just look and say, "Oh, she's a lesbian," or "He's a gay man!" They're just male or female, and whom they choose to love doesn't dictate how they look. I know butchy looking straight women, and very femme lesbians, and very femme gay guys, and very straight-appearing gay men. There just is no one stereotype, and it's silly to keep pigeon-holing people. Especially nowadays where people are free to be who they are....you just never know what they're really like (gay or straight) until you get to know them as people.

What's so great about being in such a mix of varied people is that stereotypes eventually go by the wayside, and people just become people. Now, if we could just do that with people of other nationalities, religions, etc., we'd be a lot farther ahead.

By the way, I love the banter between Goldenmom7500 and Nicolepsy -- it's like stand-up comedy!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,094,448 times
I just want to state for the record that I hate the title of this thread. I have no issues with the actual discussion, but the title itself is very unkind, even cruel.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:37 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,991,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I think that living in California, especially the area I live in, would squash all those stereotypes!! Only because we know each other, I know that many of our employees are gay....tons of gay men and women where I live.

We have people who fit those "stereotypes," and those who don't....therefore, there are no true stereotypes, since none fit into the whole "shebang" as DiamondD said!

I know some pretty darned attractive lesbians, and I am quite sure no one would suspect if they looked. I know some who are still "in the closet," and you'd never flinch an eye to think they're a lesbian. In fact, I would say that of the ones I know, most do not fit the stereotype....you wouldn't just look and say, "Oh, she's a lesbian," or "He's a gay man!" They're just male or female, and whom they choose to love doesn't dictate how they look. I know butchy looking straight women, and very femme lesbians, and very femme gay guys, and very straight-appearing gay men. There just is no one stereotype, and it's silly to keep pigeon-holing people. Especially nowadays where people are free to be who they are....you just never know what they're really like (gay or straight) until you get to know them as people.

What's so great about being in such a mix of varied people is that stereotypes eventually go by the wayside, and people just become people. Now, if we could just do that with people of other nationalities, religions, etc., we'd be a lot farther ahead.

By the way, I love the banter between Goldenmom7500 and Nicolepsy -- it's like stand-up comedy!
Nico isn't even here and I'm still standing - yayaya!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:38 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,991,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I just want to state for the record that I hate the title of this thread. I have no issues with the actual discussion, but the title itself is very unkind, even cruel.
absolutely, couldn't agree more.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:49 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,384,925 times
Quote:
I agree with this too. The title of this thread is hurtful and insensitive.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,803,950 times
Quote:
The title doesn't bother me as it is obviously written to elicit emotional responses.
It is a prime example of Internet Trolling.

What does bother me is that people are willing to fall right into it and reveal and express their ignorance and bigotry.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:19 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,273,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Nico isn't even here and I'm still standing - yayaya!

Yeah, I think you and I survived our "trip to Oregon" by the skin of our collective teeth.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.