Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:02 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times

Advertisements

You have been dating a short time. If you can't handle it now, time to end it. My husband travels frequently and frankly I hate it. It has put quite a strain on our 20 year marriage.

You don't sound happy, why waste your time or his?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:04 PM

117 posts, read 269,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You have been dating a short time. If you can't handle it now, time to end it. My husband travels frequently and frankly I hate it. It has put quite a strain on our 20 year marriage.

You don't sound happy, why waste your time or his?
but when Im with him I am the happiest person ever

Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,862,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipsterific18 View Post
he told me right now his career will include a lot of traveling but once he is set the traveling will be at a minimum, don't know who long that will be but I know it will be a couple of years down the road. and I don't know what the future holds
It sounds like you got lucky and found a cool dude. So he has to invest 2 years into building his career before he can chill out and reap the rewards, and transition to more of a desk job. That gives you 2 years to work on your issues so you can be a better partner to him, instead of being needy and clingy. If you want to keep what sounds like a potentially solid relationship, you need to take care of your own business. The fact that he's not able to be around 7 days/week works in your favor, all things considered. If you two were together every day, my guess is that it would be too intense. Your insecurities might undermine the relationship long term.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
So you are okay with being happy 40%-50% of the time?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You're allowing his presence to be a distraction from your depression and insecurities. Like his company is masking your unresolved issues, so you can pretend they're not there. But sooner or later, they would surface and impact the relationship, and not in a good way.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 PM

117 posts, read 269,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
You're allowing his presence to be a distraction from your depression and insecurities. Like his company is masking your unresolved issues, so you can pretend they're not there. But sooner or later, they would surface and impact the relationship, and not in a good way.

you are so right but I have seeked professional help and I even am prescribed anti depressants idk what to do about my personal issues

Old 10-06-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
you are so right but I have seeked professional help and I even am prescribed anti depressants idk what to do about my personal issues
Maybe you didn't find the right therapist. Was it a psychiatrist? They mainly diagnose conditions that require medications, and they prescribe meds. They're generally not that good at providing psychotherapy. Look for psychologists who specialize in childhood issues, abandonment, and that kind of stuff. You can Google those key words ("abandonment issues", for example, + "psychologists") and your city to see who does that specialized work. A good therapist will help you eventually get off your meds so you no longer need them, because your issues will be resolved. Avoid people who just let you talk talk talk. That's a waste of time and money. Try several therapists and ask them what their treatment strategies are, how does their practice work.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
wow you are so right..........

I was in a relationship prior to this one it lasted 3 years I saw my partner everyday for 4 months straight until we decided to finally move in together but when we moved in was when the problems arose I needed him around me ALL the time, I refused to be a minute without him when we has gone for longer than expected I accused him of cheating or lying he couldn't handle the accusations anymore and left me
I didn't see this post until now. It sounds like you found a really good guy this time. So I'm sure you don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past. So now you know what to do. Think of his weekly time away as a blessing in disguise. It will allow you to buy time to get your own house in order, so to speak.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:56 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I just don't know what to do he is away atleast 3-4 days a week so I get to spend 3 days with him but sometimes he is away for more and I only get to see him once a week.

I tried to end it with him because I told him I need a lot of attention I need to be able to see my partner everyday but he didn't want to end it with me he wanted to continue dating, he told me that I should have "trust and support that when all is said and done in the end it will be a life and career that one could share and enjoy, something someone could run with him and know that his partner will always have something to fall under"

please I need a lot of advice because I don't know what to do
Are you serious??!!??!! Stop being so needy.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:06 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Well, you can either end it for good and find someone you can be with every day or you can be happy you found someone wonderful and accept that he travels. There are definitely some deeper issues here and no matter how much this guy likes you he's going to get annoyed with you eventually that you make him feel guilty for leaving when he's just trying to do his job. He might find it endearing now that you miss him so much, but I guarantee down the line he's going to find you needy and demanding.

The person I've been dating travels a LOT. I get to see him only a couple times a week if I am lucky and he might be leaving permanently soon which totally sucks. I like him enough I just decided to accept this is how things are now. 2 months is not really enough time for people to make major life decisions around someone else. Maybe down the line your guy will figure out a way to travel less. But right now this is how his life is and you can accept it or walk away.

I am not the kind of person who wants to spend every second with someone. I need my alone time and my time to do whatever I want to do. IMO, you should work on yourself and relax and enjoy your alone time. It sounds like he makes a lot of time for you when he's in town and he stays in communication while he's gone. Would you rather have someone you're crazy about but who is gone sometimes or someone you can see all the time, but doesn't make you feel excited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships