Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,480,684 times

Advertisements

He gotta do both (career and social life) along the way or you will be 45 with no social skills posting on city data: "why wont any chicks go out with me?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:30 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,230,125 times
This is a real struggle for me right now. A little over a year ago I quit my regular 40 hour a week job to become self employed. I got lucky & stumbled upon a very lucrative opportunity & I make many times more than what I did at my old job. However, I'm routinely working 80 hours a week, sometimes 100. I don't really have much time for dating. People tell me that's a cop out, but the last person I dated dumped me because...you guessed it...I didn't have enough time to devote to them. I'm not sure how long I can ride this gravy train that I'm on as far as work goes, but I will for as long as it's profitable & then I'll likely return to a normal 40 hour a week gig. Women just assume I'm some sort of creeper, pervert, or sociopath because I'm just looking for FWB right now, but it's all I really have time for.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:52 PM

128 posts, read 202,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
This is a real struggle for me right now. A little over a year ago I quit my regular 40 hour a week job to become self employed. I got lucky & stumbled upon a very lucrative opportunity & I make many times more than what I did at my old job. However, I'm routinely working 80 hours a week, sometimes 100. I don't really have much time for dating. People tell me that's a cop out, but the last person I dated dumped me because...you guessed it...I didn't have enough time to devote to them. I'm not sure how long I can ride this gravy train that I'm on as far as work goes, but I will for as long as it's profitable & then I'll likely return to a normal 40 hour a week gig. Women just assume I'm some sort of creeper, pervert, or sociopath because I'm just looking for FWB right now, but it's all I really have time for.
If you're only looking for FWB, stick with your current job. Just because one girl needed forty hours a week of your time doesn't mean they all do.

As long as your work isn't too stressful, just save up and you'll have more financial freedom. I don't even make a high income and I'm looking into an early retirement overseas.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM

4,290 posts, read 3,999,433 times
I don't bring non from work but I do work from home two days a week because of my daughter. Mostly I do the work at night, when my daughter is sleeping when she is gone to school I am sleeping but any way,, I have flexibility at work to adjust to my routine so no worries.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,230,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege View Post
If you're only looking for FWB, stick with your current job. Just because one girl needed forty hours a week of your time doesn't mean they all do.

As long as your work isn't too stressful, just save up and you'll have more financial freedom. I don't even make a high income and I'm looking into an early retirement overseas.
It's actually not too stressful at all. The most stressful part has been dealing with buyers but I've got that down to where it's manageable. Saving as much as possible is what I've been doing.

I've even been thinking about the same thing...overseas retirement. You can live extremely well in places like Thailand, Belize, Ecuador, etc on as little as $1,500/month. Any retirement, even early retirement is pretty far away for me though.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM

957 posts, read 1,058,096 times
I used to work 70-85 hours a week and do projects at home so I could get where I wanted to be.

Now I work 40-45 and live in Vail. I make about 20k less a year but still a good living. Life is way more fun now, but I think I had to grind to get where I'm at now.

Sucked, but I wouldn't change anything. My brother did the same thing with his business. He had no life from 22-33, now he has tons of free time and never has to worry about the future.

It just depends on how important security is to you. I was awful with women anyway so it didn't set my social life back.. If anything work may have helped me get past a few hurdles, as I had no choice but to talk and present things to strangers.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:52 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,427,520 times
Your work "choice" should reflect the type of personal life you want to lead.
The real hard part about finding careers isn't getting one, it's getting one that fits your lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships