Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I have a touch of social anxiety (always have), so to say I'm shy is an understatement. But yeah, I am.

Good point RE: intelligence. I rarely meet men that interest me, and that comes off as sounding conceited to some, but I can't help that a big part of it is intelligence. Most men *I* meet can't hold a conversation with me that gets my attention...I need to be mentally stimulated by my mate, and for some reason I don't meet many men that fulfill that requirement.
The social anxiety you can do something about. There are therapists who specialize in that. Outgoing people tend to have magnetic personalities. They give out a vibe that draws people to them. So that's something you can work on.

As for how to zero in on the right demographic for your brain power, that's more of a challenge. Are you in a job that fully utilizes your talents, so that you're in a position to meet people who are your true peers? Consider going back to school, if that's an option, (Part-time, or whatever) to boost yourself to a higher level. Try going to professional conferences in your field, or volunteering at museums, going to book readings/signings at bookstores, doing activities that draw intellectual people (or whatever your groove is). Figure out how to target the kind of people you're looking for.

But before you can do any of those strategies, resolving the social anxiety would be fundamental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Maybe there are people interested in you but you don't notice them.

Look around. Is there anyone looking at you? Smiling at you?

Most often our friends are the ones to say, "they are checking you out!"

Be more aware of your surroundings and hold back the dirty looks if someone smiles your way.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Well, it's not your looks, that's for sure. You are smokin hot.

I think it is a lot of factors that play in. Your environment, your expectations, your standards, .....
Thanks *blushes*

But seriously, I know there are a lot of contributors. Sometimes I just wish I had someone I could ask, "Hey....what, if anything, am I doing wrong here?" And maybe I'd find it was nothing. I'm just saying it would be nice if it's me...to have some sort of confirmation. I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not exactly sure I'm insightful enough to be able to tell if it's something I'm doing or not doing that's affecting my ability to be in a relationship.

It's especially hard when you have friends that go straight from one relationship to another....even if they're long term relationships. I have friend that are just....never single. I'm just realizing I'm pretty much 'the single friend'...the one that's always alone. Not that that title bothers me, but...I'm just thinking about it more lately I guess.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:27 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Thanks *blushes*

It's especially hard when you have friends that go straight from one relationship to another....even if they're long term relationships. I have friend that are just....never single. I'm just realizing I'm pretty much 'the single friend'...the one that's always alone. Not that that title bothers me, but...I'm just thinking about it more lately I guess.
People who are more average have less trouble finding partners, because average is, obviously, the majority position. Also, a lot of people aren't all that discerning. You see them going from one relationship to another, but think of it this way-- they're also going from one breakup to another. They have a lot more drama in their lives, because they're probably not making good choices.

IMO your basic issue is the social anxiety. Wallflowers, even hot ones, get overlooked. You're sidelining yourself. Addressing that issue with some professional help will be a good investment in yourself.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
I think the majority of people who claim to want a relationship and put themselves out there, but have little to no success probably have self-destructive tendencies. In that, I mean that they are probably not making themselves as available as they need to be, or they're overly discounting the people who show interest in them.

The idea that there is a perfect match for people is extremely rare IMO. I don't buy it. I think if you look at any relationship, there's more than likely going to be some compromises going on between the two parties. Yet, I believe there are still people out there that buy into this silly notion that unless the other person is an absolute perfect match, then they're not going to waste their time. The no compromise mentality is fine if that's how you want to manage things. However, you should probably be prepared to be single for a long time, because perfect matches are extremely rare.

I see people of all walks of life in relationships. Ugly, fat, skinny, stupid, beautiful, intelligent, rich, poor, exciting, boring, etc. The garbage spewed on this forum that you need to have X, Y, and Z in order to attract a mate is bogus pseudo-logic at best coming from people who haven't a clue what they're talking about. The difference between those people in relationships and those who can't lock it down is that, at some point, they decided to compromise on certain expectations and accept their partner for who they are (flaws and all).

Don't get me wrong. It's good to be picky to an extent. Obviously there's got to be something between you two to make it work. However, if you start tossing people aside because they have a slight physical imperfection, or they're not as tall as you'd want them to be, then yeah, it's totally you who has problems.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times
For me it must be looks and/or perhaps something attractive is missing. After twenty years of knowing women are not interested its hard to think women could actually could be interested as well.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Thanks *blushes*

That doesn't mean anything. I used to go from one long term relationship to another within a few weeks. It might just mean they have low standards.

I am single now since a while because I don't want to make these mistakes again.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:35 PM

597 posts, read 1,026,666 times
It doesn't take a genius to realize why some people are alone. Just look at them and thats all you need to know.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I am single (going on 5 years) because I am taking my time--I want to "go slow" and get it right this time. I've been married, went though divorce when my ex walked out on me and I am not having any more children, so I don't have the "biological clock" ticking in my ear rushing me to "get married" and "have kids." I have a happy and fulfilling life and plenty of close family and friends, so don't have a "need" to be in a romantic relationship. Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for a "perfect" man--but I am looking for a man who is right for me (and me right for him too). I am not going to settle for someone out of convenience, fear, desperation, etc. Yes, I'd still like to be in a close, loving relationship with a man, but there is no reason for me to force it or rush myself into one. I have plenty of time and if it happens and I meet a good match, it happens... if not, I have no regrets.

Last edited by jillabean; 10-15-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 03:25 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Reason why I'm single is because I choose to be. I've never struggled dating/obtaining a woman, however, keeping them by my side has been an issue. Perhaps, I'm just not geared to be in long term relationships, or I just haven't found the right woman (shrug shoulders).

Whatever the case, I'm very happy with my singldom; casually dating without commitment, enjoying my hobbies, traveling around the world on a whim, doing whatever I want, date whomever I want, spending ridiculous amounts of money on stuff I don't need, etc, Lol. My life is very unencumbered and I'm loving it

Oh yeah, I got some relationship issues, but I really don't care to address them, to be honest. I'll cross that bridge when I find the right woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships