Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 04:59 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
"Try thinking about someone else for a change?" Sorry, I'll always come first. Is it selfish? Maybe. But at the end of the day, nobody has my back like I do. Women come and go.
It's possible to think about someone else without sacrificing so much of yourself that you lose your own back.

Not only that, but successful relationships require compromise and sometimes that means putting the other person's needs above your own.

There's a balance, and if you aren't willing to work to find it, then it's best that you don't date beyond the most casual of encounters.

Funny, but these are things women learned when we liberated ourselves. Maybe some of you men need to liberate yourselves, too--from your own faulty either/or thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 05:20 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
I act snobby towards just about everyone. I feel as if only the people I'm REALLY close to should see the "soft" side of me. Keeps away unwanted company OR people who I may really end up liking, but don't want to get hurt by.:[ I've dealt with a lot of heartbreak in the past.
So you're going to let the people who hurt you control the rest of your life? You'd rather be fearful and without companionship because a few relationships didn't work out?

But wait, it's women who operate on emotion and men who operate on logic, right?

Listen: Unless one marries the first person one dates, and stays married, and dies first, we all have heartbreak. Do you know how many times I've been hurt or grieved the loss of a relationship? Let's see...

High school sweetheart 1 year, a long time at that age
College sweetheart, 3.5 years
Marine, 2.5 years
Cop, 1 year, but we did a lot together and I learned a lot of interesting things from him
IT guy, 1 year, but we traveled a lot together and I learned a lot from him, too
Ex-husband, 7 years total
Most recent SO, about 7 years total, ended in January

So many tears. So much heartbreak.

Then there were the usual misfires lasting a few months that, while not worthy of a lot of tears or ice cream, were disappointing enough to end, and that's a bummer, too, because it sucks to see hope and potential evaporate like that.

You see me on here whining about how love sucks? You see me walking around slump-shouldered and defeated and afraid, and giving up on love?

Why, no. No, you don't.

And women are the "weaker" sex.

Last edited by Lilac110; 10-19-2014 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It's possible to think about someone else without sacrificing so much of yourself that you lose your own back.

Not only that, but successful relationships require compromise and sometimes that means putting the other person's needs above your own.

There's a balance, and if you aren't willing to work to find it, then it's best that you don't date beyond the most casual of encounters.

Funny, but these are things women learned when we liberated ourselves. Maybe some of you men need to liberate yourselves, too--from your own faulty either/or thinking.
How is my thinking faulty? Sure, I can get into a relationship but feelings change. What's to say she won't turn on me after a month? After casually dating 2 women, it's enough to have my guard up towards them all.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:39 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Quote:
So you're going to let the people who hurt you control the rest of your life? You'd rather be fearful and without companionship because a few relationships didn't work out?

But wait, it's women who operate on emotion and men who operate on logic, right?

Listen: Unless one marries the first person one dates, we all have heartbreak. Do you know how many times I've been hurt or grieved the loss of a relationship? Let's see...

Marine, 2.5 years
Cop, 1 year, but we did a lot together and I learned a lot of interesting things from him
IT guy, 1 year, but we traveled a lot together and I learned a lot from him, too

Then there were the usual misfires lasting a few months that, while not worthy of a lot of tears or ice cream, were disappointing enough to end, and that's a bummer, too, because it sucks to see hope and potential evaporate like that.

You see me on here whining about how love sucks? You see me walking around slump-shouldered and defeated and afraid, and giving up on love?

Why, no. No, you don't.

Exactly... you have to take the time grieve and then pick up the pieces and move on. You can't dwell in the past and let a handful of people who hurt you run your life forever. Everyone who's ever been in a relationship has been hurt and heartbroken. Even IF you stay with the first person you meet, there are still hard times and heartache--it's not all sunshine and lollypops. That's life. It has ups and downs. How you handle the ups and especially the downs can show the world what your character is and what you are made out of.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
How is my thinking faulty? Sure, I can get into a relationship but feelings change. What's to say she won't turn on me after a month? After casually dating 2 women, it's enough to have my guard up towards them all.
Dude seriously chill.I've been burned but I'm not carrying a "I hate men" flag.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Dude seriously chill.I've been burned but I'm not carrying a "I hate men" flag.
Cool story Raena. But as of now, I'm extremely selective on the women who I allow in my personal space. Maybe there won't be another one.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
I'm in my twenties now and I was like this during my pre teen years. I was afraid and sure they would not like me or that I was very afraid of showing my feelings and being vulnerable . Stupid kid I was .

Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Cool story Raena. But as of now, I'm extremely selective on the women who I allow in my personal space. Maybe there won't be another one.
Nonsense there will be.

Someone who treats you right a youngen like you.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:29 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Listen: Unless one marries the first person one dates, and stays married, and dies first, we all have heartbreak. Do you know how many times I've been hurt or grieved the loss of a relationship? Let's see...

Marine, 2.5 years

Why, no. No, you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Exactly... you have to take the time grieve and then pick up the pieces and move on. You can't dwell in the past and let a handful of people who hurt you run your life forever. Everyone who's ever been in a relationship has been hurt and heartbroken. Even IF you stay with the first person you meet, there are still hard times and heartache--it's not all sunshine and lollypops. That's life. It has ups and downs. How you handle the ups and especially the downs can show the world what your character is and what you are made out of.
Exactly.

Some of you men on CD think you're the only ones who've been disappointed, hurt or rejected. You think you're the only ones afraid of being mistreated or misunderstood.

Well, ya know what? We're all walking wounded (or at least anyone over the age of about 25 is). Every one of us. If we haven't had our hearts broken in love, then we've lost dear friendships or relationships with family members. We've all suffered and cried and cursed and mourned. We've all recovered to the best of our abilities and learned to get on with it, battered and bruised.

Sure, it'll make you a little apprehensive and cautious. Of course. But angry? How's that going to help? The only one you're hurting with all your anger is yourselves.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I'm in my twenties now and I was like this during my pre teen years. I was afraid and sure they would not like me or that I was very afraid of showing my feelings and being vulnerable . Stupid kid I was .
Please in my 30's I'm this way, thinking I'm old fat and ugly, then I get hit on.Brings you back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships