Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:48 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,092,857 times

Advertisements

Right before I deleted my account I asked my good looking friend if I could use his picture and height(I'm 5'8 he's 5'11) but keep the same profile for a few hours just to experiment on the difference..

In a matter of a half hour he got about 38x the amount of messages I got in a month..It's all about looks/stats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:51 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,208,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Right before I deleted my account I asked my good looking friend if I could use his picture and height(I'm 5'8 he's 5'11) but keep the same profile for a few hours just to experiment on the difference..

In a matter of a half hour he got about 38x the amount of messages I got in a month..It's all about looks/stats
Is this messages sent to him, or are you referring to responses to messages he sent? I'm curious as to what this guy looks like if that's all it took to have messages sent to him without provocation.

I'd say that my success rate at getting at least one response per person I send a message to is somewhere between 60-80%, depending on the type of girl I send a message to. But I may only get 1-2 messages every couple months that are not initiated by me.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Is this messages sent to him, or are you referring to responses to messages he sent? I'm curious as to what this guy looks like if that's all it took to have messages sent to him without provocation.
Messages sent to him..

Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Messages sent to him..
Is he highly attractive? Because I doubt a few inches are going to make a big difference. I'm 5'10" and consider myself decent looking. Women aren't hounding me on sites like OKC unless I message them first.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,793,080 times
Quote:

To be fair, on some sites, when you update a picture it pushes your profile out again as "updated." I used to notice the same thing when I updated my own picture with another picture of myself... a big increase in messages (although no where near 38x as many).

But yeah, online dating tends to favor the photogenic (I won't even say handsome/beautiful because some people don't photograph well and some people look better when photographed). It's just one of those things in life... just like a social setting favors the outgoing over the shy (no matter what people look like)... or clubs and groups favor the kind and friendly who grow on you in time (no matter how they look), etc. You got to figure out where you shine and make sure you are using that medium.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Is he highly attractive? Because I doubt a few inches are going to make a big difference. I'm 5'10" and consider myself decent looking. Women aren't hounding me on sites like OKC unless I message them first.
Highly attractive? I'm not a great judge on male looks but most women seem to be attracted to him

Old 10-29-2014, 08:59 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,873,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
To be fair, on some sites, when you update a picture it pushes your profile out again as "updated." I used to notice the same thing when I updated my own picture with another picture of myself... a big increase in messages (although no where near 38x as many).

True, when I changed my primary photo there was an uptick in people looking and messaging.

Still, most of us aren't hot. I'm average at best, and so I need to approach things different. No big deal. I've had this ugly mug my entire life (and when I was younger I was, uh, flabbier) and it can be done. Stress fun, personality, passion and awesomeness.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

But yeah, online dating tends to favor the photogenic (I won't even say handsome/beautiful because some people don't photograph well and some people look better when photographed). It's just one of those things in life... just like a social setting favors the outgoing over the shy (no matter what people look like)... or clubs and groups favor the kind and friendly who grow on you in time (no matter how they look), etc. You got to figure out where you shine and make sure you are using that medium.
I really don't "shine" anywhere lol..and as shallow as old is I don't think it's that different then anywhere else..

My good looking friend gets the attention in person as well

Old 10-29-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I really don't "shine" anywhere lol..and as shallow as old is I don't think it's that different then anywhere else..

My good looking friend gets the attention in person as well
Sometimes when I'm down and out, I feel like I miss out on opportunities because I'm either too focused on the negative or I shut down and stop paying attention. Maybe you're doing the same? Yesterday, I was at the DMV getting my picture taken for my license and this woman walked by me and just stared and smiled. Who knows what it was about, but is it possible you're not seeing these potentially positive signs?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Sometimes when I'm down and out, I feel like I miss out on opportunities because I'm either too focused on the negative or I shut down and stop paying attention. Maybe you're doing the same? Yesterday, I was at the DMV getting my picture taken for my license and this woman walked by me and just stared and smiled. Who knows what it was about, but is it possible you're possibly not seeing these potentially positive signs?
No I overly look for signs..he'll if a women shows any interest and talks to me instead of walking away I get excited lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships