Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,799 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

Kind of a weird situation here. I've been struggling with depression recently (to the point that I was suicidal for a bit). I sought help and got placed on an antidepressant. I was originally placed on a low dose that is generally below the therapeutic dosage. It worked well for a couple of months until it started wearing off and I noticed my anger coming back. So my doctor increased the dose.

All was well until Saturday. Prior to that, my sex drive decreased significantly due to this drug. Well, this past Saturday, the exact opposite happened and I entered what I now realize to be a manic, hypersexual state. I'm generally a guy that worries a lot and sometimes lacks confidence, but Saturday was something completely different.

I messaged a ton of women looking for sex. One woman in particular is one that I've rejected recently due to incompatibility (she's very attractive though which is likely why I messaged her). She was a bit mad at me for how things ended, but she really likes me. She wasn't available that night (thank God) and my manic state did not last longer than that day (I crashed HARD the next day and now I'm back to being balanced). Basically, she wanted to come over my place tonight, but I was able to come up with an excuse. However, she keeps messaging me.

This woman is loosely connected to my job and I'd like to keep on good terms with her. Also, I feel like a douche because I know it seems like I'm giving her hot and cold signals (which I did, due to my drug-induced state). So I'd like to tell her that I'm not interested without hurting her feelings.

Does anybody have any advice for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 PM

362 posts, read 560,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Hey all.

Kind of a weird situation here. I've been struggling with depression recently (to the point that I was suicidal for a bit). I sought help and got placed on an antidepressant. I was originally placed on a low dose that is generally below the therapeutic dosage. It worked well for a couple of months until it started wearing off and I noticed my anger coming back. So my doctor increased the dose.

All was well until Saturday. Prior to that, my sex drive decreased significantly due to this drug. Well, this past Saturday, the exact opposite happened and I entered what I now realize to be a manic, hypersexual state. I'm generally a guy that worries a lot and sometimes lacks confidence, but Saturday was something completely different.

I messaged a ton of women looking for sex. One woman in particular is one that I've rejected recently due to incompatibility (she's very attractive though which is likely why I messaged her). She was a bit mad at me for how things ended, but she really likes me. She wasn't available that night (thank God) and my manic state did not last longer than that day (I crashed HARD the next day and now I'm back to being balanced). Basically, she wanted to come over my place tonight, but I was able to come up with an excuse. However, she keeps messaging me.

This woman is loosely connected to my job and I'd like to keep on good terms with her. Also, I feel like a douche because I know it seems like I'm giving her hot and cold signals (which I did, due to my drug-induced state). So I'd like to tell her that I'm not interested without hurting her feelings.

Does anybody have any advice for me?
How about the truth? You were off your meds but you feel better now?

Honestly, there's not much you can say without hurting her feelings.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
How about the truth? You were off your meds but you feel better now?

Honestly, there's not much you can say without hurting her feelings.
Well, I wasn't off my meds. It seems like the meds caused this state lol, but thanks for the response.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 PM

497 posts, read 696,484 times
Listen, you had a bad day. No need to beat yourself up for it. Just let her know it was a bad day for you and you are sorry for reaching out to her. She'll probably be mad, but that's okay. She'll survive. Just don't contact her during another manic episode.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I entered what I now realize to be a manic, hypersexual state.
Is there a chance this would happen again???

Old 10-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is there a chance this would happen again???
I don't know. I've never been on these kinds of medications before. I feel better most of the time on it, but it's scary how much of a personality change that I had. I've never felt like that before in my life.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Just tell her you are crazy about her.

Really.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I hope you talked to the prescribing doctor about this because it is a serious problem that could get you into much worse situations than this.

As for this woman, just go on as if nothing unusual happened, keep conversation topical and gradually fade out.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I hope you talked to the prescribing doctor about this because it is a serious problem that could get you into much worse situations than this.

As for this woman, just go on as if nothing unusual happened, keep conversation topical and gradually fade out.
Good advice. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:

Quote:
Good advice. Thanks!
I'm glad you see that, Cristo, because that is some bad news right there. I would think that the dose isn't strong enough, if it's the right drug. But maybe it's not the right drug. Either way, psych meds are not supposed to give you a swing like that. The whole point is to stabilize so you can be strong and rational enough to go through therapy. (I hope your doctor isn't just writing you scrips, and that you are in counseling.) Good luck.

I don't know about going on as if nothing unusual happened. It really depends on what, exactly, you said. Was it really sexual? Or just striking up a conversation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships