Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:24 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times

Advertisements

This is a silly question. 50% of the people in the US do.. In one relationship, one person always has a higher IQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 02:35 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
This is a silly question. 50% of the people in the US do.. In one relationship, one person always has a higher IQ.
You just ruined all the fun, smart a$$

Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I would never marry anyone who I thought was a lot less smart than me. That isn't being pompous, that is being realistic. Smart men turn me on, average or below do not attract me. Fortunately, my current BF is extremely smart....and cute too.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You just ruined all the fun, smart a$$
Not really, IQ isn't a good measure of intelligence. I have known a lot of folks with high IQ's that are dumb as **** because they never used their natural given ability to learn anything worthwhile. I have known folks with low IQ's who worked hard and learned a great deal of things.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:43 PM

251 posts, read 299,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardd View Post
Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with someone who isn't in par with you intellectually? Someone you couldn't have a profound intellectual conversation with? They are not book smart, they are not voracious bookworms. But they have a high level of common sense and they are emotionally/street smart. Would you be in a relationship with them/marry them?
I know I can. I'm use to most people not being interested in profound topics I like. That's what online is for. Hell, I would marry a air head if her personality is on point. I'm in no position to be picky.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardd View Post
Do you think it's possible to be in a relationship with someone who isn't in par with you intellectually? Someone you couldn't have a profound intellectual conversation with? They are not book smart, they are not voracious bookworms. But they have a high level of common sense and they are emotionally/street smart. Would you be in a relationship with them/marry them?
How would you even measure this parity (or lack thereof)? With that said, I have had some of the most profound intellectual conversations with individuals on both ends of the intelligence spectrum. Many times, being 'smart' had nothing to do with being able to develop profound observations. They were, as best as I could tell, very perceptive and open and very willing to discuss the issues and provide unusual perspectives.

[i just had to be willing to listen]

Old 10-23-2014, 03:20 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
I did and thankfully she doesn't want to listen to my intellectual babble. She is far more socially intelligent than i am and i have learned a great deal from her to my eternal benefit.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:26 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
One partner is always smarter than the other... and WHO that is can vary at to WHAT the topic is.

My guess is that you can never (yes, I said never LOL!) have two people who are identically matched in all areas.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Very true. For me, intelligence is absolutely essential in a man. An active mind, a desire to know about the world and other people and to continue to learn. A man who's open-minded, astute, and as Jrz said, has practical skills and common sense.

But, unlike when I was in my 20s, it is no longer essential that a man has a university education. It's not important at all, actually.
University educated has never been a thing for me. They have to be those I bolded though.. open minded, willing to learn, common sense..... able to have a conversation.... these things are required.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Depends on how you define smart. I have an Ivy League degree, an IQ that is well above average and a wide range of intellectual pursuits. But I think there are many types of intelligence. Emotional intelligence is something I had to work very hard on.

Frankly, I don't necessarily want someone with the same type of intelligence as I have. It can be exhausting. And it can also be isolating - when you're paired up with another smartypants, you may begin to feel like you're part of your own little club and see yourselves as being apart from others. Not something I've experienced personally, but something I've seen happen. I'm wary of any relationship that promotes an "us against the world" attitude.

I prefer to date guys who are strong on practical skills and common sense, because it balances my own qualities. Doesn't mean no intellectual conversations are taking place - you just gotta open your mind to what constitues "intellectual." I've never dated a dummy - they've always been highly intelligent guys, if not geniuses. They just aren't necessarily reading Schopenhauer in their free time or subscribing to The New York Review of Books.
great post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships