Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 12:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I also find coffee dates to be a bit patronizing; it's as if the girl is screening you for a more legit date.

Well if it is OLD, then this is what is happening. It's a first meeting to find out if you want to have a date, but I've had several coffee dates that morph into dinner and drinks the same day if the chemistry is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 01:47 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well if it is OLD, then this is what is happening. It's a first meeting to find out if you want to have a date, but I've had several coffee dates that morph into dinner and drinks the same day if the chemistry is there.
That hasn't been my experience @ all. I don't have so many first dates that going out to dinner makes the cost prohibitive. I seem to be in the minority on this, even amongst men, but it's an evidence-based decision (at least for me)

Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Dude, nobody goes skiing in the middle of a snowstorm. Most of the skiing happens on the sunny, calm, dry-weather days. In California, people go skiing in shorts. IDK, maybe the Canucks do it differently (where are "the Brunswicks?!), but in the States, skiing is a way to enjoy a bright, beautiful winter day. It doesn't have to be downhill skiing, either. Cross-country skiing is like literally a walk in the park, but you're gliding along on skiis. Try it, you might like it .
Yeah, a "beautiful sunny day" with highs around 35 F. Freeze my balls, no way I'm spending time outdoors in such weather. I've tried skiing before on a sunny 22 F day without any wind, and HATED IT . NEVER AGAIN.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 10-24-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
A bar.

Most posters are listing things they enjoy. It is a 1st date. You do not know what the other person likes. A walk in the park? What if they hate the outdoors? A museum? What if they have no interest in that? Skating? What if they do not know how?

A nice quiet bar. You can talk and get to know each other.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:31 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A bar.

Most posters are listing things they enjoy. It is a 1st date. You do not know what the other person likes. A walk in the park? What if they hate the outdoors? A museum? What if they have no interest in that? Skating? What if they do not know how?

Some women don't like bars and don't do alcohol, though. So what you're saying is, for a first date, the dude should offer a couple of choices, in case she's not into any kind of museum at all (art museum, anthro museum, flight museum, antique car museum, history museum, really? There are people who aren't into any kind of museum at all?), doesn't skate, or hates the outdoors? If she hates the outdoors, the date's over anyway, bc she's not the woman for me.

But, whatever. Offering a choice isn't a bad idea.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
A bar.

Well I hate bars and don't drink, so what should I do, then?

Personally, I don't see dinner or even lunch as a great idea, either. But I also find most people to be pretty disgusting while eating, so that's probably just me. But during a meal there's also so many possibilities for embarrassing moments, like knocking over a drink, dropping food on your shirt, etc. And if you're already a bit nervous and trying to eat as gracefully as possible, the possibility that you'll do something clumsy skyrockets.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Well I hate bars and don't drink, so what should I do, then?

Personally, I don't see dinner or even lunch as a great idea, either. But I also find most people to be pretty disgusting while eating, so that's probably just me. But during a meal there's also so many possibilities for embarrassing moments, like knocking over a drink, dropping food on your shirt, etc. And if you're already a bit nervous and trying to eat as gracefully as possible, the possibility that you'll do something clumsy skyrockets.
lolol! We get it, dude--you feel awkward during dates. So, best to avoid any potential booby traps, like tables with food and drink. Especially spaghetti.

So you can do the art gallery/museum/outdoor concert/park walk & feed the ducks/exploratorium thing.

And yeah, it's surprising how many people don't drink and/or hate bars. It isn't talked about much in our culture, so all those people are under the radar, but they're def out there.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Seriously a ice cream, coffee or quick drink in the bar.

That way if you dont like them you can get away fast!!! 20 minutes tops.

And i can tell you out 24 out of 25 of dates, 20 minutes was way longer than i cared to stay.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:17 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Some women don't like bars and don't do alcohol, though. So what you're saying is, for a first date, the dude should offer a couple of choices, in case she's not into any kind of museum at all (art museum, anthro museum, flight museum, antique car museum, history museum, really? There are people who aren't into any kind of museum at all?), doesn't skate, or hates the outdoors? If she hates the outdoors, the date's over anyway, bc she's not the woman for me.

But, whatever. Offering a choice isn't a bad idea.

First of all I mean a nice bar in a restaurant, not the corner bar.

Yes, lots of people have no interest in museums of any type. I am glad I am not one of them but I would never ask someone to go to one on the first date.

I am willing to bet that more people don't know how to skate than do.

A public place that you can have a conversation which usually means a bar. She doesn't have to drink alcohol.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:48 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Do what brings out the best in you, your passion, your intellect, your creativity...whatever you love to do. Mine were/are dancing and sailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships