Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why? There are attractive 60 year old men, no?
At 58, Tim Daly is a very attractive man. That said - it would be absolutely disgusting to see him with the young daughter of a former business associate that he has known since diaper days.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:26 AM

59 posts, read 69,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softball1322 View Post
We both like history, sports we watch them a lot together, the same authors, sometimes the same kind of music but all and all we just have a lot of fun when we're together.

It is a scary thought - his aging - while you are decades younger. What 20s are you in? Early 20s? Late 20s? That makes a slight difference if possibly you are almost 30 - or closer to 21, which is like being 19... and then I think it may be too much of a gap.

What is scarier, though, is NOT being with him right? The thought of losing him.. The thought of not enjoying what you have been able to share together NOW and continuing to share that. Image being with him when he's too old to do a lot of things just from common aging facts, would you two both be sitting there, regretting it?

I'm not sure, follow your heart but make sound decisions and I'd for sure want to know I was taken care of, after he may go, especially if he's going to leave you broken hearted, which I hope he will when he does pass on, otherwise that's not love.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,891 times
My neighbor is 99; his wife is in her mid-50s. I never see them together. He's always inside. His wife goes to work every day. I don't think they go out at all. I'm not sure if they are happy, but the few times I had a quick chat with his wife I got the impression that she's very frustrated. YMMV.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
There are plenty of attractive men in their 60s. They don't normally start a relationship with a young woman in their early 20s whom they have known since she was 3. This thread isn't really about a huge multi generational age gap, it's about the fact this man is her Mother's business partner and he has watched her grow up. It's disgusting, pervy and reeks of Woody Allen.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:15 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
That's not the point.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 10,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzMermaid View Post
It is a scary thought - his aging - while you are decades younger. What 20s are you in? Early 20s? Late 20s? That makes a slight difference if possibly you are almost 30 - or closer to 21, which is like being 19... and then I think it may be too much of a gap.

What is scarier, though, is NOT being with him right? The thought of losing him.. The thought of not enjoying what you have been able to share together NOW and continuing to share that. Image being with him when he's too old to do a lot of things just from common aging facts, would you two both be sitting there, regretting it?

I'm not sure, follow your heart but make sound decisions and I'd for sure want to know I was taken care of, after he may go, especially if he's going to leave you broken hearted, which I hope he will when he does pass on, otherwise that's not love.
I'm 28 and for me the scary thought is losing him. I know that if I stay with him and we do get married that when he's older and we can't really do much anymore that we won't regret anything. We've talked about staying together or breaking up because of our age difference and we both don't want that. We want to enjoy the time we have now but really for me my only draw back from marrying him is losing him earlier than most wives losing their husbands.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:29 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
Quote:
I'm 28 and for me the scary thought is losing him. I know that if I stay with him and we do get married that when he's older and we can't really do much anymore that we won't regret anything. We've talked about staying together or breaking up because of our age difference and we both don't want that. We want to enjoy the time we have now but really for me my only draw back from marrying him is losing him earlier than most wives losing their husbands.
There is no question he's going to die before you. He might have 25-30 years left if he's in great shape. It's a fact, get used to it. I don't know what you're asking. Do what you want, you're an adult.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:30 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:

Are you intentionally glossing over the fact that he could live longer than you do?
What about him and his feelings? Is he worried about losing his wife sooner than most husbands?

You could be hit by a bus, in a car accident, die while giving birth, be diagnosed with cancer, have an aneurysm burst, have a heart attack. You know the same things that could happen to him, except for the dying while giving birth.

Your fears of marriage are unfounded for this particular reason. Perhaps there are other reasons lurking that are the "real reasons" that you hesitate but you are using his age as an excuse because you "could" lose him to death even though many wives lose their husbands well before your age or his.

We have a friend who recently lost his 15 year old child to cancer, they never dreamed that would happen when that child was born.
So had they lived in fear of "what if" they would have never had that child and no one would have known him for even a brief time and been filled with the joy and love that this child freely gave everyone he met.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
There is no question he's going to die before you. He might have 25-30 years left if he's in great shape. It's a fact, get used to it. I don't know what you're asking. Do what you want, you're an adult.
There IS a question that this is a guarantee why isn't anyone accepting the fact that no one knows when anyone is going to die no matter what their age or their spouse, partner, intended spouse age?

He might have 25 - 30 years and she might have 25 - 30 minutes left, no matter what shape she is in.

It's a fact, get used to it, people die when it is their time to die not when it is convenient for someone else or they get to be a certain age or they partake in a certain lifestyle.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:34 AM

138 posts, read 171,506 times
Quote:
My mom married a guy that's 21 years older than she is, but was very healthy and worked hard. She ended up retiring about the same time he did. He's in his 90s now and his health has finally started to fail this year. It looks like he won't make it much longer, but until a few months ago he was able to do just about anything a guy 20 years younger was able to do. So my mom is now doing much of the work of taking care of him and is facing losing her husband soon. But she's in her mid 70s. The reality is that she could be in the same boat had she married someone just a few years older than she is.

On the flip side we all know people that have lost a spouse to an accident or disease way too early.

Point is that you just don't know for sure what the future holds. Sure, the odds are that you would be a widow at a younger age than your peers, but who really knows?

Just a thought.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships