Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep, those dirty liberals! Next you know it, they'll stop teaching how your faith is the only right one, and about the "obvious inferiority of other races." They might even dare teach your kids science, deductive reasoning, and how to gather news from actual news sources and not bigoted drek like Stormfront and Breitbart! Heck, they might teach them how to avoid turning a completely non-political forum post into yet another stunning example of right-wing paranoia.
I actually hate Rump; I'm sure you noticed I left off the T. And I'm an atheist to boot, so there goes the "faith".

But I hate today's schools with a passion. They went from simple places where knowledge was passed from teachers to students, to mental meat grinders. Nowadays, schools do anything and everything except teach. Instead of teaching manners and the 3 R's, teachers are policing students' lunches to make sure they contain a lettuce leaf that passes for a vegetable, keeping a watchful eye for a half-eaten Pop-Tart shaped like a gun, padding their supply lists to appease the Ticonderoga lobbyists, and making kids write a convoluted essay to teach subtraction. Because Common Core . I swear: seeing today's school system feels eerily similar to rubbernecking an overturned truck. And not even Rump can make our schools great again.

Our schools once produced graduates who put man on the Moon with the computing power of a TI-84 calculator! All while eating processed bologna sandwiches for lunch, pointing sticks at each other during recess, and playing dodgeball in gym class. What changed?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-15-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
But I hate today's schools with a passion. They went from simple places where knowledge was passed from teachers to students, to mental meat grinders. Nowadays, schools do anything and everything except teach. Instead of teaching manners and the 3 R's, teachers are policing students' lunches to make sure they contain a lettuce leaf that passes for a vegetable, keeping a watchful eye for a half-eaten Pop-Tart shaped like a gun, padding their supply lists to appease the Ticonderoga lobbyists, and making kids write a convoluted essay to explain banal subtraction (*cough* Common Core *cough*). Seeing today's schools feels eerily similar to rubbernecking an overturned truck.
LOL when exactly was the last time you were in an actual elementary classroom? This ^^ is all just random speculation pulled from the most extreme headlines of the past couple of years.

And it has nothing to do with Relationships.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:38 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
LOL when exactly was the last time you were in an actual elementary classroom? This ^^ is all just random speculation pulled from the most extreme headlines of the past couple of years.

And it has nothing to do with Relationships.
It was in mid 90's. At that time, school were starting to turn a circus they are today, but the facepalm factor was still mild. It got worse in early 2000's, but I graduated from high school before all hell broke loose. (Years are kept vague on purpose, so I don't get doxxed.)

This is about relationships, albeit indirectly. It's about factors that lead to people becoming childfree. And hey, most people have kids within a marriage, or at least a relationship.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
It was in mid 90's. At that time, school were starting to turn a circus they are today, but the facepalm factor was still mild. It got worse in early 2000's, but I graduated from high school before all hell broke loose. (Years are kept vague on purpose, so I don't get doxxed.)

This is about relationships, albeit indirectly. It's about factors that lead to people becoming childfree. And hey, most people have kids within a marriage, or at least a relationship.
Doxxed? LMAO as if. Come on.

I'm sure the internet police are poised to out you for your outrage over your made-up idea of what school is like.

It's good that you are childfree. I support that. The other stuff is just huffin' and puffin'.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
Quote:
I actually hate Rump; I'm sure you noticed I left off the T. And I'm an atheist to boot, so there goes the "faith".

But I hate today's schools with a passion. They went from simple places where knowledge was passed from teachers to students, to mental meat grinders. Nowadays, schools do anything and everything except teach. Instead of teaching manners and the 3 R's, teachers are policing students' lunches to make sure they contain a lettuce leaf that passes for a vegetable, keeping a watchful eye for a half-eaten Pop-Tart shaped like a gun, padding their supply lists to appease the Ticonderoga lobbyists, and making kids write a convoluted essay to teach subtraction. Because Common Core . I swear: seeing today's school system feels eerily similar to rubbernecking an overturned truck. And not even Rump can make our schools great again.

Our schools once produced graduates who put man on the Moon with the computing power of a TI-84 calculator! All while eating processed bologna sandwiches for lunch, pointing sticks at each other during recess, and playing dodgeball in gym class. What changed?
OMG. You. Have. No. Idea.

This is all clickbait nonsense.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
The decision to have kids or not is so inherently personal that I've got 0% understanding for any outsider who thinks their opinion matters.

Honestly, what kind of person sticks their fat nose into an issue like this, from either side? OK, maybe I'll give a pass to an old yenta...

I consider myself lucky that nobody in our circle of friends and family ever cared to share their opinion with us; I have genuine sympathy for people that experience that.

OTOH, well...maybe in a later post...

Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 AM

242 posts, read 262,628 times
You are 20! You know NOTHING of life yet. You should save your original message and look at it ten years from now you will have a laugh like I am doing right now. .

Old 08-16-2017, 08:25 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
I was pretty much fixated on staying child free forever. I managed to go my entire 20's without entertaining the thought.

At age 33, I did have a kid. At age 36, I had another. I'm cool with it.

I'm not saying everyone will change their mind, but the mentality I had at age 20, was far from what it was when I was in my 30's. Figure out what works for you, but don't rule out that you will never change your mind.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:29 AM

50,325 posts, read 63,895,871 times
We don't care if you have kids, or not OP, but 20 is too young to even know what you want. Having kids is a bad idea until you are older. Get back to us in 10 years and tell us how you feel.
My youngest son and his wife are 34 and 30, and they're just now having a baby.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:52 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My go-to response is 'I can't aim straight.' That usually shuts 'em up.

Failing that it's 'I love kids, but I could never eat a whole one', or 'it depends how you cook them.'

Problem solved, subject closed and they go right back to berating me because I don't watch Game Of Thrones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships