Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:00 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Seems like men used to drive women - maybe because back in the day the woman didn't have a vehicle or they guy just "handled it". Now I see more and more that women are driving with men in the passenger seat, not sure why unless women just want to take control of running the errands or whatever? I dunno....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 07:32 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
I drive about 90% of the time unless I'm tired. I drive better and my vehicle is typically nicer/more fun.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Unless I am teaching someone else to drive, I do all the driving in almost all situations. Relationship, friends, acquaintances.

Partly it is because I am far more experienced (used to be a professional driver), but also because I have been proven to be more alert than most people I know and have more duration behind the wheel. But more than that, I find that many people drive because they have to. They have a fear or dread of it where I enjoy it.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
A man and women in a relationship both have their own working vehicles, valid licenses, insurance, etc. They spontaneously decide to go somewhere together (store, movie, ... ). Does the man usually drive while the woman is usually in the passenger seat?
i usually prefer to be the one driving..haha

Old 11-02-2014, 12:08 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
If we're in a hurry... I drive!

Old 11-02-2014, 01:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
What's your thought on a 48 year old woman enjoying with her sons preppy car ? That's exactly whats happening in my case. I left my car back in NJ while moving down to Atlanta, because:

1) Parking is expensive in my downtown apartment
2) Most places I visit are walkable or reachable by public transit.

I miss my babe now .
Did the 48 year old woman pay for this car?.....

Old 11-02-2014, 01:23 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Did the 48 year old woman pay for this car?.....
Dad paid for it, after my old clunker got totalled by some idiot who rear ended me while yapping on on his cell phone .

I'll pay him back, if he gives the car .

Old 11-03-2014, 04:11 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Seems like men used to drive women - maybe because back in the day the woman didn't have a vehicle or they guy just "handled it". Now I see more and more that women are driving with men in the passenger seat, not sure why unless women just want to take control of running the errands or whatever? I dunno....
There were a lot of things that women weren't allowed to do (or were at least strongly discouraged from doing by society) "back in the day." Automobiles meant freedom, and men weren't always comfortable with women having that. In some places, they still aren't. Also, cars were used by men to drive to work. The woman was expected to stay at home, so there wasn't a reason for her to drive.

Driving used to be much more of a physical mechanical activity than it is now, too-- there weren't automatic transmissions, fuel-injected engines, power steering, power breaks, automatic windshield wipers, lights on the dashboard to tell you exactly what was going on, etc. Driving a car was like operating any other heavy machinery, and women definitely weren't supposed to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships