Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times

Advertisements

Good grief, ridiculous.

Be yourself. If you show her some fake guy, you are eventually going to revert to who you are anyway. If she doesnt like you for who you are, you don't need to be dating her anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 12:34 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Just go out with her. Take any advice you want. Leave the rest. Have fun.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Really, dating should be fun. Be yourself and see if there is a connection. If there isn't a connection, nothing lost but a date. Maybe gain a friend out of it. Who knows.

To many TV shows and magazines tell women that they deserve the world. The reality is, no man can deliver that.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:42 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Ok, second. A couple of your friends telling you what they find attractive in men is NOT impossible standards and requirements that WOMEN have. It is their personal opinion.
True. I could just as easily have advised the OP that women hate sports talk and wasting time watching sports. Be careful what channel you tune into, OP. Don't take a lot of this stuff seriously. But be polite, and show an interest in her. Pretty basic.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:41 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
So basicly you just have to update your clothes so you dont look like your mentally challenged and learn to change your oil? Honestly oil change places are a total fleece and it takes like 10 min to change. Maybe there are certian makes that are more of a pain?

I like to watch air races, who says it has to be basket ball or hockey. For some reason women like to watch the men fight but when their is an incident in an air race or race track its pretty spectacular and dramatic. But things like the Reno air race are rare so maybe that bores the women, who knows.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Really, dating should be fun. Be yourself and see if there is a connection. If there isn't a connection, nothing lost but a date. Maybe gain a friend out of it. Who knows.

To many TV shows and magazines tell women that they deserve the world. The reality is, no man can deliver that.
The reason dating is not fun is because of sex, if a guy were getting regular sex some where else and the success or failture of the data did not determine if he was going to get a very basic need met then they would be alot more fun.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:57 PM

837 posts, read 960,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
My point of creating this thread is to simply state that I don't think I can live up to these impossible standards that women seem to have when selecting a long-term partner. Has anyone ever felt the same way?
They're not impossible standards. They're just out of your capability so you label them as impossible on the larger scale.

The simple solution for you is to hold yourself to the same standards that you hold the women you want to date. If you expect her to show up looking decent and not in an ill-fitting dress and sneakers with holes in the toes, then suck it up and go buy a new pair of shoes.

Most of the tidbit advice you mentioned your friends giving you is subjective and dumb. A lot of women don't want flowers on the first date because they have to be bothered to carry it around and some may be embarrassed by the attention of strangers noticing the gesture. Treat her right in the ways you think you should be showing affection and appreciation. If it's good enough for her, she'll give you a chance. If not, move on to someone who's compatible with you.

If you don't iron, don't expect her to iron. If you don't watch sports, you still need to be okay with her maybe liking to watch a football game. It may be news to you that some women hate sports, are allergic to flowers, and love to iron for their boyfriend. This is the type of gal you'll want to ideally end up with. Don't stress so much about changing yourself. Just show her who you really are and if she doesn't like it, onto the next one.

However, by the whiny tone of your post I'm guessing you have a general issue with putting forth effort and time on another woman unless it's to obtain sex. If this is how you want to roll for the rest of your life, be prepared to limit your love life to temporary relationships that last a night or 7 before fizzling out.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Hey all.

A female friend of mine is setting be up on a date with her friend. I'll be seeing her this weekend. I have never seen her, not even a picture, and don't want to. My friends have seen pictures of her and told me that she is very beautiful. We also spoke on the phone and it was enjoyable. We seem to have a lot in common (though I know that this really doesn't mean anything, it's still nice lol).

I was feeling good about this until I spoke to other female friends. I've generally avoided traditional dating and was very involved in the hookup culture. Basically, I didn't have to put any effort in at all (beyond approaching and making a move). I am comfortable with this method.

However, I get the feeling that this girl is different. My female friends told me that I have to do such things as pull out her chair when she goes to sit down and buy her flowers on the first date (I think this is a bit much). Also, they jumped on me for not knowing how to iron (I usually just bring my shirt to the dry cleaners) and not knowing how to do manly things like change my oil. They also suggest that I do "manly" things like watch sports (which I find boring). They also suggest that I ask her to kiss me on the date instead of just going for it (wtf?). Apparently, my shoes suck as well and they are taking me out tomorrow to get me new shoes.

Honestly, if I have to completely change myself, I really don't want this girl. Had my other female friend not set up the date, I'd probably just cancel. I feel a lot of pressure now and I honestly like who I am. I'm not sure if I'm good-looking, but I'm very ambitious and have a six figure job in my late 20s with goals of doing MUCH more than that. I also have some online side gigs that I make some money from.

My point of creating this thread is to simply state that I don't think I can live up to these impossible standards that women seem to have when selecting a long-term partner. Has anyone ever felt the same way?
There's a difference between changing yourself and putting your best foot forward. For example, buying new shoes is not really changing yourself.

But of course you should be yourself. If she doesn't like you for who you are, oh well. You don't want to date someone who doesn't like you anyway.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
There's a difference between changing yourself and putting your best foot forward. For example, buying new shoes is not really changing yourself.

But of course you should be yourself. If she doesn't like you for who you are, oh well. You don't want to date someone who doesn't like you anyway.
I'm still having trouble getting my mind around the fact that someone who's making a six-figure salary in the military is such a trembling bowl of jello when it comes to going on a date. AND depressed, AND a candidate for PTSD diagnosis.

But, whatever. Let us know how it goes, OP.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:56 PM

837 posts, read 960,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm still having trouble getting my mind around the fact that someone who's making a six-figure salary in the military is such a trembling bowl of jello when it comes to going on a date. AND depressed, AND a candidate for PTSD diagnosis.

Shoot, girl, six figures!? You just spilled all the good details. Now I have to go back and read seven pages to get caught up with this.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Yeah it makes no sense to me either. Anyone I know who makes six figures is competent, confident and as far as I know, doesn't get online and whinge like a sook. Something doesn't add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships