Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:42 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times

Advertisements

Tell you what: When you go for your prostate exam, let her in the room with you afterward to overhear all of your questions for your doctor after your doctor has his or her fingers jammed up yer butt.

Seriously. Leave the woman some dang privacy with her doctor.

Gawd, the paternalism here sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I think op shouldn't take this so personally. It perhaps has nothing to do with him.
That's what he needs to be afraid of, that it doesn't concern him (other father?) I concur with the "I was present for nearly every gyno visit" I have been their as well for everyone. I cannot believe some people are adovcating all this secrecy.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Why not ask your girlfriend? I don't think telling her "well, strangers on the internet say I should be able to go in with you!" makes for good communication.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Well to each his own, but this is disrespectful in my eyes, especially if she plans to spend the rest of her life with him. If it was just a gyno exam, whatever; but for official life changing news such as a baby, NOPE. He has every right to be in that room.

That would be "Her Own" and he does not have every right to be in that room until SHE decides she wants him in there.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
That's what he needs to be afraid of, that it doesn't concern him (other father?) I concur with the "I was present for nearly every gyno visit" I have been their as well for everyone. I cannot believe some people are adovcating all this secrecy.
Look, when you are the one having the baby, you can be the one in the room asking the questions.

She may have questions that have to do with ONLY HER, like what changes to expect in her body, what warning signs are that she might be miscarrying, what she can do to help with morning sickness, etc. She may also have questions she is embarrassed to ask in front of ANYone else, like what happens sexually, is there a risk to the baby, etc.

You need to respect patient-doctor confidentiality. It's the LAW.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 AM

503 posts, read 771,930 times
My doctors office considered the positive home pregnancy test the official result and typically didn't see us until the 12 week mark. So technically you were there for the official result. Congratulations!

Old 11-07-2014, 10:47 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I was with my ex for over a decade, and during that time, I was present for nearly every gyno visit. Wasn't my decision, but my ex's. I don't know what type of "private questions " she wants to ask.
Maybe your ex was much more open than your current fiance. Some women are very shy when it comes to gyno visits and pregnancy greatly changes a woman's body. Whatever questions she has, maybe she's just embarassed to ask in front of you. Gyno visits themselves are not exactly the most comfortable situations for many women. Wait for her, like she asked then ask how everything went. Don't prod

Old 11-07-2014, 10:51 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Look, when you are the one having the baby, you can be the one in the room asking the questions.

She may have questions that have to do with ONLY HER, like what changes to expect in her body, what warning signs are that she might be miscarrying, what she can do to help with morning sickness, etc. She may also have questions she is embarrassed to ask in front of ANYone else, like what happens sexually, is there a risk to the baby, etc.

You need to respect patient-doctor confidentiality. It's the LAW.
Wait, oh helllll no. It's half HIS baby, he has just as much of a right to be there as she does, paternal laws being out there and everything. Well unless you want to say that he doesn't have to take responsibility for the child if he doesn't want to, then and ONLY then would your arguement hold merit.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
The "official pregnancy test" is peeing in a cup, not pelvic exam. Maybe she has questions about something embarrassing, like hemorrhoids or weird discharge.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Wait, oh helllll no. It's half HIS baby, he has just as much of a right to be there as she does, paternal laws being out there and everything. Well unless you want to say that he doesn't have to take responsibility for the child if he doesn't want to, then and ONLY then would your arguement hold merit.
No. Google HIPAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships