Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I'm curious because i hear it a lot.

I used to think it was a New England snobbery thing. May sound odd to most, but i am one of the few with brown eyes in my area- most people have blue. So i always figure this was probably why i was always asked this.

But I recently went to Reno for 5 days and was asked this literally 6 times in 5 days. There was certainly more diversity there than New England so i was surprised to be asked so much. FYI- their guesses were never accurate and i was asked by all different races.

Pick up line? Small talk? Etc?

Any thoughts? (Besides the obligitaory "get over yourself" rude and insulting comments which usually makes me stay away from this subforum?)

Thanks!
It is usually a pick up line, and a painfully awkward one at that. Some guys who may want to meet you, have this... for lack of a better word, "hang-up" where they won't come out and tell you they are attracted and intrigued by you because you look exotic. They have to at least find you interesting-looking or pretty for them to even ask the question. I guess they don't want to "put themselves out there" too much in telling you that you are attractive. Maybe one too many women who turn rude when they are offered a compliment, but I think it's a sign of slight defensiveness when meeting women.

In some cultures it is considered poor form or bad manners to approach an individual this way, until you are better acquainted with them...then it is okay to inquire. But how many healthy normal (probably decent) guys read etiquette manuals. If "Mother" failed to instruct in this regard, this work is usually left to a man's significant other. Unfair, but often true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
Most Indians are some mix of Aryan + Dravidian, but you'll almost never hear any of them mention it. I hope you don't go around introducing yourself that way, in an attempt to ingratiate yourself with white women?
Indian is nationality, not an ethnicity. As you may be aware, lots of ethnic groups coexist within India.

Technically, I'm Tamilian, but most tamils have genes which exhibit dravidian majority. Few are born with aryan majority genes and they are usually alienated and called "non tamils" even though we follow the same culture. Reasons for this lie in dirty Indian politics .

Hence the reason for my odd description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships