Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times

Advertisements

Any time I see a guy making a very high cost or even just high-profile public proposal (like at concerts, stadiums, on TV, etc.), I tend to think it's a guy who wasn't quite sure she would say yes, and thought he could pressure her into it. What a creepy-ass way to start a lifelong commitment. It makes my skin crawl.

I always wonder how many of the women say yes for the camera to get everyone off their backs and then say no the next day. That's what I would probably do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Just spoke with a friend of mine and it sounds like you're right. Would be incredibly difficult to procure that many iPhones in China. He thinks the guy would have had to start buying them before they were released in the country, when prices were 10,000+RMB/phone. So this guy will likely lose a substantial amount of money reselling them.

Looks like Apple is trying to cut off the grey market for iPhones in China by releasing them sooner. It was insane a couple years back.
A ton of those phones get shipped from the US to China. Most of the scalpers here are Asian, in my experience. I hope the guy is able to sell those phones.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Any time I see a guy making a very high cost or even just high-profile public proposal (like at concerts, stadiums, on TV, etc.), I tend to think it's a guy who wasn't quite sure she would say yes, and thought he could pressure her into it. What a creepy-ass way to start a lifelong commitment. It makes my skin crawl.

I always wonder how many of the women say yes for the camera to get everyone off their backs and then say no the next day. That's what I would probably do.
I always think that, too.

I only know of 2 couples that had such a public proposal. Both were specifically tailored toward what the woman would love.

That's the ONLY reason to do it that way.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:18 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
A ton of those phones get shipped from the US to China.
I also wouldn't be surprised if some of them "fall off a truck" into the black market before they even leave China in the first place.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:30 PM

596 posts, read 627,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herndonuser View Post
I'm not buying this story one bit. This has got to be the third story I've read about China's Singles Day where a man proposes to a woman and get's absolutely humiliated and I swear, I think its been in that same mall each time....

That or Asian men just don't learn.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:31 PM

596 posts, read 627,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I only know of 2 couples that had such a public proposal. Both were specifically tailored toward what the woman would love.

That's the ONLY reason to do it that way.
Agreed!

Old 11-13-2014, 04:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
What a nitwit. He deserves what he gets.

Pretty much I feel that way about any over-the-top-proposal, because the chief motivation is to come up with a grand gesture, a play to the crowd. It's ultimately narcissistic behavior and it's really manipulative.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Why didn't he just buy the empty boxes? Seems a lot cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships