Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did dating for you change after college?
Got Better 18 54.55%
Got Worst 8 24.24%
Same 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times

Advertisements

Became more $
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 02:00 PM

408 posts, read 722,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Mostly worse, although there are some silver linings.

The worse:
- Far fewer women around you on a day to day basis
- Far, FAR fewer attractive and available women around you - it's just as likely that pretty girl you see from the other dept at work or while you're at the grocery store is married, engaged, or in a long-term partnership that may just as well be a marriage. The attractive women I'm initially interested in are almost always taken.
- Most people are most attractive in their college years and right after.
- The older people get, the more set people are in their ways - this is true for yourself and your dates. It's harder to make your lives fit together and will just as likely end the relationship. In college you don't have set ways of living, generally.
- Parties. Enough said.
Damn. It's reading things like this that make me mad at myself for being a 26 year old virgin, especially where I live where people get married at 24, 25, it's very difficult to find the sort of casual fun with a girl I could have had in high school or college. Oh well it is what it is I guess.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:43 PM

By the way where do you meet girls after college? Work? Bars? Online?

Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Dating was better, as there are more mature professionals compared to college. College girls are a mess, IMO. I enjoy women that are self-sustaining, have worldly experiences and are mature.

I meet women where ever I hang out. This will include concerts, bars, music shops, any place I go shopping, there are women everywhere.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:45 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
After college I moved to the East Village in NYC, which was basically like one huge college campus, age-wise. It's hard to not meet people in New York.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,395 times
I meet more quality men who aren't into "hookups" like college guys.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:10 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. Also parties. The parties just tend to have higher quality booze. And food!

Also, we grownups call them women, not girls.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:12 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Dating was better, as there are more mature professionals compared to college. College girls are a mess, IMO.
That's a good point. So much freaking drama in college dating. I encounter that way less now.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Yes, yes, and yes. Also parties. The parties just tend to have higher quality booze. And food!

Also, we grownups call them women, not girls.
Sorry about that, I meant women, not girls. Jesus I didn't even know adults threw parties. I mean I have friends who are married who throw dinner parties but not like college parties where there are single beautiful women everywhere looking to hook up.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:31 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
" I didn't even know adults threw parties"

They do but they're mostly lame.

The "parties" I go to always end at 8pm or so at the latest because people all have their kids to tend to and that's about the time kids get tired and grumpy. There may be one, two if you're lucky, single women there but it's never one that I'm interested in.

Quote:
"single beautiful women everywhere looking to hook up."
That's an exaggeration even for college parties - but the chances of hooking up are indeed greater than zero. It only happened for me three times. The sex really wasn't that great. Sex is always better with someone you know. Still, the feelings of conquest & accomplishment were awesome.

Quote:
"It's reading things like this that make me mad at myself for being a 26 year old virgin, especially where I live where people get married at 24, 25, it's very difficult to find the sort of casual fun with a girl I could have had in high school or college."
Don't feel too bad. I was in a relationship for most of my college and grad school years, so I only lived the single college life for about 1.5 years. If I had to do it again I'd definitely dial down the relationships, but at the time I was insecure and thought I "needed someone." I was in love too (or so I thought).

Quote:
Attractive younger, single women are few and far between at my work. Bars - on rare occasion I have met prospects at bars. I've met most of my dates online. There are also other scenarios where I've encountered prospects when out living my life, but again, it's rare. In high school and college you interact mostly with your own peer age grouping. In the real world you interact with all age groups - so the datable prospects are just that much fewer. Most of my "friends" now, if you can call them that, are not in my age group and so don't have any associates who might be datable.

Despite how much people complain about online dating, for me it's been the best bang for the buck. Even though guys don't get that many responses, at least I can be reasonably assured the ones that do respond are not already taken, which is what I mostly encounter in real life.

Frankly, the best way to meet someone is through someone who knows someone - like finding a job. My best relationships were always through meeting a friend of my friend's other friend or something like that. Unfortunately adulthood diminishes your circle of friends and thus your dating prospects.

Although I actually find that as an adult making trustworthy friends is harder than finding someone who wants to be in a relationship -- I have had relationship opportunities a good number of times from women that I was not that into. I have not made a decent male or female friend since college, however. All of the people in my peer age group are married with kids - and so they seek out friends who can share the relevant experiences - not single guys like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships