Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
trm trm started this thread

41 posts, read 89,344 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! Happy New Year!!!!! I'd like a little advice. I am 38 year old mixed (African American and White/Jewish) woman with one child and never been married. I'm a corporate sales rep for a fourtune 500 company, have a strong and funny personality and I don't look all that bad. When attending functions that include men, I normally get a lot of stares...

My question: Why do men look or stare without approaching me? It's the craziest thing and very frustrating. I am a little old school in that; I don't think or feel like I should do the approaching. What do you think????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm View Post
Hey everyone! Happy New Year!!!!! I'd like a little advice. I am 38 year old mixed (African American and White/Jewish) woman with one child and never been married. I'm a corporate sales rep for a fourtune 500 company, have a strong and funny personality and I don't look all that bad. When attending functions that include men, I normally get a lot of stares...

My question: Why do men look or stare without approaching me? It's the craziest thing and very frustrating. I am a little old school in that; I don't think or feel like I should do the approaching. What do you think????
That's why:

Quote:
I'm a corporate sales rep for a fourtune 500 company
Quote:
have a strong and funny personality
Quote:
I don't look all that bad
Intimidating?! You probably don't give out the vibes of being willing to stroke fragile egos. And from what I've heard, LA has more than its fair share of those.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:09 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,082 times
I once dated an executive director of a small-medium sized law firm.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:

If you want them to approach you, you need to give them a really big smile and look them straight in the eye for about five seconds...one, two, three, four, five. This lets them know that you are inviting them to come over.

greenie

Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM

So...do you think that I should approach a man that I find interesting. At first glance I've been told that I look sort of stuck up but honestly I am such a goof ball and people love me after they get to know me. So what do you think????

Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
If you want them to approach you, you need to give them a really big smile and look them straight in the eye for about five seconds...one, two, three, four, five. This lets them know that you are inviting them to come over.

greenie
Thanks for that advice...I am going to try it!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
What does this mean?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:31 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Thanks for that advice...I am going to try it!!!!
And then when they come over, keep smiling, look down, and act shy. Let them ask the first question or offer to buy you a drink or something. Like everything else, it's a game and you have to know how to play it.

It's not easy for a man to walk up to a strange woman in a bar or restaurant and then face rejection. That's why you have to smile and look him in the eye. And a man likes to feel like a man. Women forget this. They try and overpower the meeting, take control of the conversation, or they won't let him pay for the drink. Don't try to compete with him. Let him speak the first word. If you like him and he offers to buy you a drink or an appetizer, say yes.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Perhaps not everybody is as confident as you are.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 AM

24 posts, read 84,870 times
Everyone is different. Some men are shy and would be open to being approached by a lady. Your a sale professional. Use those sales instincts, read the person you are interested in. Use what comes natural to you and you'll do fine.

Good luck, there's someone out there for everyone. There's someone out there for you. Go get em tiger!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships