Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,776,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes, OP, why don't you get right on that casual dating and doing hookups? What's stopping you?
It's been my experience that "other women" are usually what's stopping a man in this situation. "Just go out and start casually dating/hooking up" is great in theory, but in practice, it may not be a practical solution for a lot of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,155,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I want a girlfriend, but I don't want to hang out all the time. 2 nights a week would be plenty. I'd like to find a very motivated woman who spends a lot of time studying, working out, etc.
Inquire within.

Oh, wait. I'm 48. I'm past my sell-by date.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:00 PM

3,499 posts, read 3,705,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
That's a good question. What I need right now is a woman to have sex with. I think every aspect of my life would improve if I had a friend with benefits. I don't care if she's 18 or 40.
...said every guy...ever.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:13 PM

30,564 posts, read 21,730,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Two Nights in a week? That's too often.
If you could agree to one night every two weeks, give me a call ... Lol
"Two Nights in a week? That's too often. "
If it was two nights every week it would seem like a routine after a while. For me, 2 or even 3 time a week might me be right and other times 2 or 3 times in a month would work.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,263,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Life experience does have a role (a never married 20-something has more time to date than say a 30-year-old divorced person with kids and a retired person has more time than both combined!)

But what I am talking about when you first meet someone. Of course you aren't invested in them yet... that's why you are only dating 1-2 times a week. Once you start to build that connection and those feelings, then you start seeing each other more and more over time... get closer and closer. And yes, I would fully expect, early on, when I first start dating someone that he probably is seeing someone else because it's just dating... not a committed relationship. That commitment of inter-twining your lives should come later (at least in my opinion) when you really know the person and get the feeling, "hey, this might work. I am going to date this person and no one else."

This is what I seem to run into: I go out with a man a few times and it's like so many of them want a microwave 60-second instant connection and deep commitment. I am sorry, I need time to get to know a man to know if I want to commit to him. And if a man is demanding I spend just about every scrap of free time I have with him... where does that leave time for my family, my friends, and even me? Sure, when you are in a committed, long term relationship, your mate is your priority. But again, this is about first meeting people and starting new relationships. To me it just feels too rushed and these guys seem desperate and lonely... like they don't have lives outside of dating. Doesn't he have family, friends, and things he wants to do for himself? It just doesn't feel healthy to me to have someone be so clingy that from the get go, they need to be out dating several times a week. Feels more like a hot and fast burning fling than the foundation of a relationship to me.
I read it as all the OP wanted was 1-2 days a week or every other week period. It wasn't going to grow to anything more anytime soon.

The OP essentially wants an FWB as was stated. I had a woman approach me about FWB situation about 2-3 months ago. Guess what happened? After having sex only 2-3 times, she found herself getting attached. She would get a little upset when I wanted just to stay in, watch a movie, hookup, and not go out and see live music. These FWB situations do work, but most still want the commitment in the end. Either they only wanted sex at first and it grew into something else for them, or they wanted a relationship all along and hoped by sleeping with me, I'd want more.

The only time I ever failed in an FWB was with an ex I wanted back in my life badly. She thought she could handle an FWB, but she couldn't either. It was too much red tape and history for us.

Last edited by weezerfan84; 11-24-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,778,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So would I.

Plus, this (hypothetical) guy has NO responsibilities? At all? He has free time every single night of the week? That would just put us on different levels entirely. Neither is better or worse than the other, and neither is the higher or lower ground...but it would be a significant difference in our entire overall styles and lifestyles, IMO.
In the case of the guy I was dating, it wasn't quite every day of the week, but 3-4 times a week with calling every night and texting all day long. He worked, had a full time job and had two sons... but one son was in college and the other in the Army, so it wasn't like he was caring for them. He said he had a large house--I wonder if he ever cleaned it or did yard work (although I suppose he may have had enough money to pay someone to clean it and do the yardwork). Seemed like he always wanted to be out doing things.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,778,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I read it as all the OP wanted was 1-2 days a week or every other week period. It wasn't going to grow to anything more anytime soon.

The OP essentially wants an FWB as was stated. I had a woman approach me about FWB situation about 2-3 months ago. Guess what happened? After having sex only 2-3 times, she found herself getting attached. She would get a little upset when I wanted just to stay in, watch a movie, hookup, and not go out and see live music. These FWB situations do work, but most still want the commitment in the end. Either they only wanted sex at first and it grew into something else for them, or they wanted a relationship all along and hoped by sleeping with me, I'd want more.

The only time I ever failed in an FWB was with an ex I wanted back in my life badly. She thought she could handle an FWB, but she couldn't either. It was too much red tape and history for us.
I don't think a situation like that "has" to be a FWB situation. It only is if you make it. If he doesn't have the time to date a lot and he meets a woman like him who doesn't have the time... why can't they just date each other when they can and be committed to each other? FWB implies they are possibly having sex with other people and are looking for a serious relationship (and when either do, their dating ends). What's wrong with having a serious relationship/committed relationship where you don't happen to be attached at the hip? People do it all the time where they can't be around their SO several times a week (truckers date, fishermen date, military guys date, etc).

As for not growing into more... there are three outcomes. They both like it and it always stays as is (like he wants right now), it's not sustainable and they grow apart until they stop dating, or they find that they slowly want to spend more and more time together and start seeing each other more often. But whatever happens, happens. You don't have to have a plan and an agenda going into a relationship. Try things and see if they work.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,263,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I don't think a situation like that "has" to be a FWB situation. It only is if you make it. If he doesn't have the time to date a lot and he meets a woman like him who doesn't have the time... why can't they just date each other when they can and be committed to each other? FWB implies they are possibly having sex with other people and are looking for a serious relationship (and when either do, their dating ends). What's wrong with having a serious relationship/committed relationship where you don't happen to be attached at the hip? People do it all the time where they can't be around their SO several times a week (truckers date, fishermen date, military guys date, etc).

As for not growing into more... there are three outcomes. They both like it and it always stays as is (like he wants right now), it's not sustainable and they grow apart until they stop dating, or they find that they slowly want to spend more and more time together and start seeing each other more often. But whatever happens, happens. You don't have to have a plan and an agenda going into a relationship. Try things and see if they work.
You are talking like someone who hasn't really had FWB experience. In my experience, when I was asked if I was sleeping with other women, they hated to hear me say yes. If a woman likes a man enough to be somewhat emotional with him, the last thing she wants to do is share. Truth be told, I wouldn't want to share the woman I'm sleeping with either, but if I don't want the truth to a question, I better not ask it. Sometimes it's better to just play stupid.

I'm not saying attached at the hip. When I say 1-2 days a week or every other week isn't always having to be a planned out evening. It can be as much as working out together or grabbing lunch together. If I really like someone, I'm going to want to see them more than someone I don't like. If we both like each other, than naturally you should want to spend more time with them. I absolutely understand wanting a relationship to grow with someone, but how much time do you need it to grow? When you start talking about time to grow is when you start talking about those pesky ultimatums as well. Someone is sooner or later going to be like I need more time than this.

That's my point. When you know you really like someone more than other people you have met in your past, is it too hard to unwind your schedule, even a little bit? Even if you have only been seeing the person a week or a month, if you like them, live in the moment.

I had a meet up with a woman last night and she said the same thing. We connected on Saturday and met up last night. In the end, she felt that she enjoyed talking with me enough to "rush" meeting me in person. There was no point of her putting it off a week. She had nothing going on, so she was like let's meet ASAP. I agreed. She's a single parent and her ex-husband gets her daughter every weekend like clockwork. Heck, even if that wasn't the case, I think she would have slid in a lunch during the week with no hesitation.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to take things slow, but too slow can be dangerous as well. It's all about finding that person that fits your schedule.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:37 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,869,471 times
WHAT the heck...after all this, all you want is a (blank)-buddy?

Honey, you better be bringing something to the table, and I am talking something physical. Are you super-hot? If so, then sure, some woman is going to want you just for your body and may be willing to keep that going.

If not, are you wealthy?

Don't rely on your charm, depth, love of history or other yadda-yadda that internally glows about you if what you're looking for is an F-buddy. It's only when you're looking for an actual relationship that those things (rightly so) come into play. Otherwise, your shallow motives will draw shallow results, but again, only if you are bringing something (equally shallow) to the table.

If not, there are always those channels on DirectTV that start in the 400s.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:37 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,669,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Oh well that does not help. I never date married men. I end up in relationships for years with men that do not want to marry me. Like 5 to 7 years. I want to be married the next time.
That was just an example of being "Unavailable" to fulfill one's needs. I don't want to belabor this.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships