Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
How to talk to the kids about divorce would go under Parenting or Non-Romantic Relationships, as that is about the relationship with your kids.

The other stuff would go under various forums like finance, or maybe the individual state forums if you want to know the specifics of how to sell a joint property together in a certain state.

That said, I would love to see a Separation and Divorce sub-forum for people to get support for the emotional ups and downs, grief over the end of a marriage, therapy, healing, the prospect of reconciliation, etc.

And of course this sub-forum would have a big, huge sticky at the top indicating that discussion of why marriage is bad for men or women would be strictly forbidden.

And in my fantasy sub-forum about Separation and Divorce, people who have never even been on a date would be automatically banned from offering advice, as would people who natter on about how marriage is "just a piece of paper." Hey, a gal can dream.
A very well-thought out proposal.

A sub-forum like divorce and separation could possibly offer a lot of insight for those who are on the fence about it, or those who care to be enlightened of the process, JIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 AM

253 posts, read 654,869 times
I think it would be very useful for those who suddenly find themselves in the situation and need help figuring out what to do next. When things go south, it feels like the rug is pulled underneath you. What to do next, how to divide time, who pays what, etc.. these are all important things, and a lot of times, emotions get in the way, and people behave poorly. I think it would be an asset to this forum.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
I think it would be very useful for those who suddenly find themselves in the situation and need help figuring out what to do next. When things go south, it feels like the rug is pulled underneath you. What to do next, how to divide time, who pays what, etc.. these are all important things, and a lot of times, emotions get in the way, and people behave poorly. I think it would be an asset to this forum.
But there are plenty of other resources out there, it's not like CD is the only forum online. There is a lot to be said for those "niche" websites that deal with a particular topic like divorce, or stepparenting, etc. Those forums are a safe place for people to belong where they can talk to others who are dealing with the exact same thing, free of judgment from those with many opinions and no experience.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are divorce forums on the internet already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty2011
But there are plenty of other resources out there, it's not like CD is the only forum online.
There are also relationship forums on the internet already, yet this one exists.

I don't care one way or another if there is a divorce forum, as it doesn't personally affect me, but I find the, "There are already forums that serve this purpose" reasoning to be bizarre. There aren't any forums on city-data that don't already exist elsewhere on the internet, so if that's the rationale, why does city-data exist at all?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
I think it's a great idea, but Chessie's right. It would be a war zone.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:06 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
There are also relationship forums on the internet already, yet this one exists.

I don't care one way or another if there is a divorce forum, as it doesn't personally affect me, but I find the, "There are already forums that serve this purpose" reasoning to be bizarre. There aren't any forums on city-data that don't already exist elsewhere on the internet, so if that's the rationale, why does city-data exist at all?
That's what I was thinking.

I mean there's even a paranormal forum on here...there's one specifically dedicated to debates...there's health...beauty...heck, there's even one for the survivalist folks...none of these "NEED" to be on a site whose basis is living locales and relocation.

And if the argument is that certain aspects of divorce could go under this-and-that other forums, for that matter, why don't parenting questions go under Relationships? Isn't the parent-and-child dealio a relationship? Why are there sub-forums for Religion and Spirituality? Aren't Christianity, Judaism, Islam and so on religions?

I do get SD's point about legalities. That makes sense. Ah well, it was just a thought! Not a biggie, just something that came to mind.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:20 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That's what I was thinking.

I mean there's even a paranormal forum on here...there's one specifically dedicated to debates...there's health...beauty...heck, there's even one for the survivalist folks...none of these "NEED" to be on a site whose basis is living locales and relocation.

And if the argument is that certain aspects of divorce could go under this-and-that other forums, for that matter, why don't parenting questions go under Relationships? Isn't the parent-and-child dealio a relationship? Why are there sub-forums for Religion and Spirituality? Aren't Christianity, Judaism, Islam and so on religions?

I do get SD's point about legalities. That makes sense. Ah well, it was just a thought! Not a biggie, just something that came to mind.
This sub-forum used to be just "Relationships," meaning non-romantic ones, too, and they broke the non-romantic subjects off into a separate folder. I thought that was a good idea.

As for religion, the separate forums exist for those who ascribe to a particular faith or want to ask questions about it, not debate the merits of it. I point to the Atheism and Agnosticism sub-forum for that. It's a safe haven for atheists and agnostics to talk among themselves. Although believers are welcome to ask questions, they are strictly forbidden proselytize, preach, criticize, or debate the merits of atheism and agnosticism. Not that this stops some from trying, but when they do, simply reporting them gets it taken care of very quickly, I've found. The general Religion forum is the free-for-all with debates, instead.

Same goes for the Vegetarian and Vegan sub-forum. Meat-eaters and those thinking about going veggie are welcome to ask questions, but it got so bad with meat-eaters coming in and telling us how wrong we are, how we need to eat meat, blah blah blah, that I finally blew a gasket and went to a senior mod about it, and now V&V has the same kind of sticky A&A has about all being welcome to ask questions, none being welcome to try to convert or criticize. They can go to the general Food, Health, or Great Debates forums for that.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:25 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
So, basically, everybody starting a "Nobody should ever, under any circumstances, get married, especially if they are GUYS" thread, here, should immediately get funneled over to the Great Debates forum.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
So, basically, everybody starting a "Nobody should ever, under any circumstances, get married, especially if they are GUYS" thread, here, should immediately get funneled over to the Great Debates forum.
Well, I have a few ideas about where they should be funneled, but it's not to any other forum on C-D, I'll tell ya, boy howdy, and amen.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
And the "I would never date a fat chick because I'm into health and fitness" ones should go into Health and Fitness...

There IS no totally non-crossover forum on CD. Well, that I know of.

Again, not debating this in the hopes that a Divorce forum will actually be created - SD has explained why there isn't one and I get that. I think that must be the only reason (legalities), as the other objections posted here on this thread don't stop the other CD forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships