Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

This a crush you're gonna act on unless you remove yourself totally from it. You're already laying the groundwork/justification by pointing out all the ways you're just not happy with your wife/girlfriend/whatever she is. Yet, you're still with her, despite being unhappy, so your unhappiness obviously hasn't reached critical enough mass to warrant breaking things off, and ceasing to access whatever it is you ARE getting out of it (from your posts, potential access to a financial safety net?) Figure out what you're gonna do about THIS situation, and quit looking to the crush as an escape/ way of avoiding addressing it.

I don't think that "address the issue of your unhappiness in your current relationship," is "morally unrealistic" in the least. It's called "manning up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 AM

16 posts, read 15,694 times
I know ... but I am astonished about how quick people “throw stones” at you regardless of the acknowledgement of your mistakes and ratification of acting according to moral standards.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Did you just want people to tell you, "Yes, you've 'handled the boundaries' of this crush well"?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfDerWeisse View Post
I know ... but I am astonished about how quick people “throw stones” at you regardless of the acknowledgement of your mistakes and ratification of acting according to moral standards.
I guess it depends on your definition of "stones."

Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfDerWeisse View Post
Thank you guys! It is indeed very stressful to have a crush while you are in a relationship. I respect all poster's answers but I feel in some cases some have unrealistic moral standards, or demonize the fact that sexual attraction cannot be controlled. It just happens, you never plan it. We may always feel attracted to more than one person but I think that what makes a difference is refraining from acting on a inappropriate crush due of its devastating consequences for all people involved.
OP I think some people have taken you to task on some actions that you DID do in response to your sexual attraction....
getting this woman's phone number to text her... talking to her about her personal life, in fact getting her the job that puts in even more in contact with this woman... all the while being married.

These aren't unrealistic moral standards... they are the "nip it in the bud Barney!" attitude that people do to avoid the situation you find yourself in.

The key is to avoid being in a situation where "now you have to make a choice..." If you don't put yourself on that pathway, you won't find yourself later scratching your head wondering "how did I get here?"

If you don't understand this... you will inevitably find yourself in this same position again.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:36 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
OP I think some people have taken you to task on some actions that you DID do in response to your sexual attraction....
getting this woman's phone number to text her... talking to her about her personal life, in fact getting her the job that puts in even more in contact with this woman... all the while being married.

These aren't unrealistic moral standards... they are the "nip it in the bud Barney!" attitude that people do to avoid the situation you find yourself in.

The key is to avoid being in a situation where "now you have to make a choice..." If you don't put yourself on that pathway, you won't find yourself later scratching your head wondering "how did I get here?"

If you don't understand this... you will inevitably find yourself in this same position again.
This is brilliant, and very worth repeating.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:17 PM

I thought my crushed died during the summer vacation. I thought I was strong enough to not fall again, and it got worst because our conversations while working together went more in depth than our brief interactions in the gym. I also felt that she opened herself and had fun while talking to me. Maybe, realizing that we got along well was a surprise for her as well. I don't know! I wished we had very boring conversations, and lots of disagreements, but we didn't ... Here is when my crush came back again.

I have it clear, I won't mix her in my current life. I have nothing to offer. I need to tackle my relationship problems first. I don't even start any relationship with anybody if I break up. I may need time to detox, and not fall into rebounds. Even if I break up, the odds of finding her available and willing to retake our friendship in future are null. Sorry guys I am in mourning period.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:04 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
I have had a crush that didn't materialize.... It is probably worst than a full fledge relationship that went awry... because at least with relationship you have realistic interactions... some good some bad that helps you put things in proper perspective.
A crush 90% fantasy... which means things will be idealized to be just the way you want them... perfect. That is not realistic and what you are mourning is the lost of your fantasy... not the potential relationship. Once you realize that you are mourning lost of your own fantasy, you will be on your way to happiness in the real world.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,769,670 times
GandalfDerWeisse

Your post reminded me of what needs to be done regarding setting boundaries regarding opposite sex friendships when you are either 1) in a committed relationship or 2) are married.

So I posted on another forum I belong to... What are some boundaries regarding opposite sex friendships when one member is either 1) in a committed relationship or 2) is married.

Here are some replies.

If you focus on your partner/husband and love your husband, your partner/husband is your focus and your partner's/husband's the one you love. There isn't a problem when you make sure your relationship is committed, renewably so. You'll know the answer if you and your partner/husband are secure in yourselves and trust each other.

If you are in a relationship, you just don't get too friendly with the opposite sex, don't be alone with them, don't touch for any reason. A person of the opposite sex does not need to know much about you personally, especially things that bother you.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:51 PM

I respect your opinion and suggestions snugglegirl, but it easy to say to others “don't do, don't feel” when everybody knows how powerful sexual attraction is. Attraction to other people isn't something that you can turn on or off at will. We are humans, not robots!

Nevertheless, I already decided that I am not going to act on this crush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships