Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:01 AM

58 posts, read 68,262 times

Advertisements

as much alone you can be! Because meeting after being alone for a long time has it's own joy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 06:45 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
I like enough alone time that the rabbit can come out and play

Old 12-07-2014, 07:16 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
How much alone time would you say is normal in a relationship?

This isn't a question I have had to deal with in over a decade, however....

I'm not sure if "alone time" actually means that, or just time apart. When I was younger relationships tended to have a joined-at-the-hip need that it took awhile to realize was in some sense a kind of ritual confirmation of the validity of the relationship, and usually just plain out destructive in the end.

Later my MO was lots of apart time, which included some casual socializing with friends and maybe just doing a few things on my own (shows, etc.) But I also need real "alone time." Time spent by myself. Together time was usually Friday night to Sunday afternoon, with maybe a date during the week. Plus time spent on vacations and short trips, and a call on days where no time was spent together.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:34 PM

12,956 posts, read 9,604,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Hubby and I have been married for 40 years....we eat breakfast together, own a business and work together.... I leave early and come home, he follows a couple hours later, and he heads to his "man cave" while I do my thing, like fixing dinner, laundry, etc.....we eat together, and then he heads back to the 'cave', and I check e-mail or watch tv....

The exception is if we have someplace to go.... or a football game to watch! It works for us! We enjoy when we are together, but don't feel the need to be "joined at the hip"....we are comfortable with ourselves and being in our own space!
nice.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:05 AM

4 posts, read 2,877 times
Me and my BF meets everyday also because we live near by, but there can be 1 out 10 that we don't see each other cause of the activities we have on that day. This is a very relative question, each individual would have their own answers.

As for me, I enjoy seeing my bf everyday, weekdays I only see him for 2 hours, but saturdays and sundays we tend to see each other more than half of the day.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:35 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times
This is a REALLY tough question, because everyone is different. I don't think there's really any "normal" here. It's what you're both comfortable with.

Personally, I need a lot of "quiet time." When I'm with someone I love, I am REALLY with that person, with my full attention on him (or her - this is anyone, not just in a romantic way but my friends, kids, family), and lots of laughs and affection. But then I really, really need my "me time." Not for anything crazy - just to read or what-have-you.

I also just can't completely relax if I have left tons of stuff undone. I HAVE to have my "stuff" done first, and that takes time. (I'm talking about work, housework, checking in with family and the like.)

If I wind up divorced, I will be dating again, I suppose, and that dude will have to be very understanding, because one weekend night and possibly one night during the week would be most comfortable for me. I don't do well with more than that. However, I would make great use of that time.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Work every day, golf 3 times a week.

That's quite a bit of alone time

Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,416,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I'm not looking for a right or wrong answer.
Good - because there is none. It will entirely be down to the people in the relationship and nothing else.

And even then it will not be fixed. Within any relationship it can fluctuate between highs and lows.

There simply is no "normal" here so do not waste time looking for one.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:53 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,944,891 times
The appropriate amount of alone time is whatever amount of time is necessary for a couple to remain themselves and maintain their interests, activities, etc, while being content within their relationship and allow it to grow.

I will even contend, within a relationship, this amount of time can fluctuate from day to day, week to week, and year to year too.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:42 AM

20,705 posts, read 19,880,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Hubby and I have been married for 40 years....we eat breakfast together, own a business and work together.... I leave early and come home, he follows a couple hours later, and he heads to his "man cave" while I do my thing, like fixing dinner, laundry, etc.....we eat together, and then he heads back to the 'cave', and I check e-mail or watch tv....

The exception is if we have someplace to go.... or a football game to watch! It works for us! We enjoy when we are together, but don't feel the need to be "joined at the hip"....we are comfortable with ourselves and being in our own space!
You should post more in the relationship forum.

Advice from people like you is much more valuable as from the ones who never get laid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships