Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you overlook a singular act of marital infidelity?
Yes, mistakes happen I can forgive under certain circumstances 19 43.18%
No way, it's over no matter what. 25 56.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:10 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,219,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The term emotional affair predates CD.... it's been around a good while.

The reason why some people get upset about the emotional affair is that some people view giving your emotions and energy to another as being worse than giving your body, especially if the cheating was a one time deal, contrast that with someone giving their heart away to another for an extended time....

I can see the emotional affair being worse in some cases...... that would probably hurt me much more than a simple slip up physically... I mean neither one is a is a picnic in the park....let's not BS anyone here.......
Obviously dating someone else while you're in a relationship is bad. I, personally, think that having sex with someone else is much worse.

Either way, if I have a wife or gf that does either, they're gone. No questions asked.

Personally, I think it's even wrong if someone is seriously dating while having a FWB on the side and would be grounds for me to reconsider their character. So, yeah, cheating in any form is certainly grounds for dismissal, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 PM

52,113 posts, read 52,563,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Obviously dating someone else while you're in a relationship is bad. I, personally, think that having sex with someone else is much worse.

Either way, if I have a wife or gf that does either, they're gone. No questions asked.

Personally, I think it's even wrong if someone is seriously dating while having a FWB on the side and would be grounds for me to reconsider their character. So, yeah, cheating in any form is certainly grounds for dismissal, imo.
Well, you're most certainly entitled to your opinion... but sex is just sex, and while that sounds trivial I don't mean it too... but getting emotionally attached to someone is most certainly more painful in the long term...

I've never had someone cheat on me that I know of.... but I'm trying to imagine if Mrs. Chow cheated... I think these things get tougher when you look at them through the prism of you're own life... it's much easier to view someone else's situation and make judgments.....

Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,490,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Same goes for men. Forgive them once, and they keep doing it because it teaches them that they can get away with it.
Reinforcing ANY behavior is a great way to ensure it gets repeated.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:07 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,868,336 times
I felt that the infidelity was only evidence of a much larger problem in our marriage. When confronted, he had a chance to make some changes and just refused. He never once apologized, so I'm not really inclined to forgive him.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,140,799 times
I'm not sure I'm capable of forgiving but I'd like to think it would be a possibility if it was truly a one time thing that didn't mean anything to him. I love him and I love our family. It would break my heart if my children didn't have both parents around everyday.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:15 PM

To me, it really is immaterial whether an indiscretion is a one time thing, if it "meant anything" to my partner, etc. The thing that really matters is the blatant lack of respect inherent in cheating on someone.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,203,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The term emotional affair predates CD.... it's been around a good while.

The reason why some people get upset about the emotional affair is that some people view giving your emotions and energy to another as being worse than giving your body, especially if the cheating was a one time deal, contrast that with someone giving their heart away to another for an extended time....

I can see the emotional affair being worse in some cases...... that would probably hurt me much more than a simple slip up physically... I mean neither one is a is a picnic in the park....let's not BS anyone here.......
Yeah. Very true.

Still, I often think when these questions come up on here that people are picturing relationships that are going well (or so they think)...then...BAM!

This horrible thing happens out of the blue.

If you're married to someone or seriously dating someone who does that sort of thing for kicks, you should run.

I suspect that this is a minority of cases, though. I figure most cases there's something very wrong. I know that's how it was with my brother and his wife.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 PM

Even when it happens seemingly out of the blue, something was wrong. Sometimes the unhappy party keeps whatever is wrong to him or herself, or the other pparty is in denial, etc. It's not really out of the blue.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,654,027 times
Sorry, no. It's pretty much a deal-killer for me. Trust is a basic building block of any relationship -- I refuse to live wondering if he is "really" where he said he was going, why he's running late, not looking his FB page and wondering "who that woman is", etc., etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships