Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:35 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine with whom I recently became reaquainted after losing touch for a year or two begrudgingly revealed to me that she was involved with a much older man. She is 32 (but her appearance is so youthful that she still gets carded), and he is 65. I say begrudgingly because, I suppose, since we hadn't spoken in a while, perhaps she thought I would judge her unfairly or harshly, which was not the case. To each her own, whatever floats your boat [insert desired cliche here].

Anyway, my question here is about judgment; since I know this particular woman, I am aware of certain issues that she has. Therefore, I know she is not a "gold-digger" or any other negative stereotype that some might place on a younger woman who dates a much older man. I know she definitely has concerns about being "taken care of," but I mean that as in emotionally, not financially. So, regardless of my friend in particular, as a whole, how does society view a woman dating a man that much older than her?

Out of curiosity: if you saw a woman walking down the street with a man who could perhaps be as old as her father, older uncle, or even grandfather, what would you think if you saw them holding hands and kissing romantically?
I just wonder how the general public views this kind of relationship.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,643,885 times
most would probably think it strange.
i dont think i have a problem with it but it definitely makes you wonder doesnt it?
some would say that a younger woman dating an older man may be looking for a father figure.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Meh, who cares? It's up to the two people involved, and as long as they're both adults it's nobody else's business. I couldn't date someone that much older/younger than me, but whatever...

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Go to the thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/celeb...nich-wife.html

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
most would probably think it strange.
i dont think i have a problem with it but it definitely makes you wonder doesnt it?
some would say that a younger woman dating an older man may be looking for a father figure.
Could be some truth there, I believe.

Last edited by hollygolightly; 01-04-2008 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
I'd just say to myself, "that old coot is such a perv!" I'd go about my day and not give it a second thought! Just kidding. I'd worry if an older man was dating someone under the age of 18.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:10 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I had a man who was in his 60s buzzing around me. He is old enough to be my Father and in fact his two sons are closer in age too me.

I was only interested in being friends with him but he kept pushing. I found his interest in me daunting. I tried to tell him I only wanted to be friends and he didn't listen.

I thought of him as kind of pervy as well because he was pushy with me trying to get me into bed with him and so forth.

With this man, I believe he was looking for someone that would take care of him and I have no interest in that kind of relationship.

I look at women strangely when the age spread is that far apart.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM

283 posts, read 524,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
A friend of mine with whom I recently became reaquainted after losing touch for a year or two begrudgingly revealed to me that she was involved with a much older man. She is 32 (but her appearance is so youthful that she still gets carded), and he is 65. I say begrudgingly because, I suppose, since we hadn't spoken in a while, perhaps she thought I would judge her unfairly or harshly, which was not the case. To each her own, whatever floats your boat [insert desired cliche here].

Anyway, my question here is about judgment; since I know this particular woman, I am aware of certain issues that she has. Therefore, I know she is not a "gold-digger" or any other negative stereotype that some might place on a younger woman who dates a much older man. I know she definitely has concerns about being "taken care of," but I mean that as in emotionally, not financially. So, regardless of my friend in particular, as a whole, how does society view a woman dating a man that much older than her?

Out of curiosity: if you saw a woman walking down the street with a man who could perhaps be as old as her father, older uncle, or even grandfather, what would you think if you saw them holding hands and kissing romantically?
I just wonder how the general public views this kind of relationship.
Now a days who can tell if there is an age difference or not. I think society, as a whole, worries too much about things like this. Kinda goes along with "You can't wear white after Labor Day". Honestly, who makes up these rules? Don't get me wrong, I think if there are minors involved, that is a whole different issue. But as long as there are two consulting adults, people need to let them live their own lives, make their own choices, as long as no one gets hurt....IMHO

Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it, but after caring for an 80-something aunt, uncle, and mom, I'd hate to be a 50-something wife looking after an 80-something husband. Cold-hearted? Perhaps. But that's what I would be thinking about.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:33 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Default Ya Baby!

Hey Elvis would be 72 and I sure am not that old and believe me I would not be looking for a father figure! Thank you, thank you very much, TCB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships