Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 AM

881 posts, read 2,248,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Planned Parenthood
I was going to suggest the same. The health department might be another option.

You could also look into MDLabTests. The HSV test is just under $60. You get the order online and take it to the closest lab (usually some place like Lab Corp.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,284,237 times
While they can take blood and do an antibody test for the virus, it's not the most accurate way of testing. This is the type of test that will most likely be given to a person at a STI testing facility. This test may not even detect the virus if you are recently infected. The only 100% test, is when you get the fluid from blisters tested. You can get tested quarterly and after a year, if nothing is detected, you can assume you are good to go. When I used to get tested, it cost around 350, with results in 3 days. If you want to do this anonymously, I can highly recommend stdtestexpress......you find a lab locally and go in and get the blood tests, takes around 30 minutes.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,652,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
While they can take blood and do an antibody test for the virus, it's not the most accurate way of testing. This is the type of test that will most likely be given to a person at a STI testing facility. This test may not even detect the virus if you are recently infected. The only 100% test, is when you get the fluid from blisters tested. You can get tested quarterly and after a year, if nothing is detected, you can assume you are good to go. When I used to get tested, it cost around 350, with results in 3 days. If you want to do this anonymously, I can highly recommend stdtestexpress......you find a lab locally and go in and get the blood tests, takes around 30 minutes.
I was looking at the HSV test options on MDLabTest.com and they say that they won't be able to distinguish between HSV-1 and HSV-2 if I test positive. The people at stdtestexpress.com claim that they can (it is also a blood test). They also told me that I could pay for the test through my insurance and I would still not see an increase in my premium if I were to test positive (it is billed in an anonymous fashion). I thought that was a bit odd. What do you think?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,112,518 times
That site is a parked site not an active website. What's odd about the billing? Since when does your insurer ever get test results? When providers bill insurers they tell what services were provided not the outcome of those services.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:33 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,284,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I was looking at the HSV test options on MDLabTest.com and they say that they won't be able to distinguish between HSV-1 and HSV-2 if I test positive. The people at stdtestexpress.com claim that they can (it is also a blood test). They also told me that I could pay for the test through my insurance and I would still not see an increase in my premium if I were to test positive (it is billed in an anonymous fashion). I thought that was a bit odd. What do you think?
I don't know, I always paid cash, never involved my insurance, since it was done at my discretion. Well, IMO, they are full of it, because it's not a guarantee that they can find the virus, because when they take the blood test, they are looking for the antibodies that the body uses to fight the infection. If you recently had contact, then there is a good chance that the blood test won't find anything. It could be in your system and undetected. The only 100% test is when they test the fluid in a blister. So if you have a cluster, of blisters, you go to the lab, and they extract fluid from one.

The way that stdtestexpress does it, is you register online, go to the lab, pay the lab. Three days later, you log in, and your test results are online. So basically, unless you have blisters, you can't really tell for sure with one test.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,652,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
I don't know, I always paid cash, never involved my insurance, since it was done at my discretion. Well, IMO, they are full of it, because it's not a guarantee that they can find the virus, because when they take the blood test, they are looking for the antibodies that the body uses to fight the infection. If you recently had contact, then there is a good chance that the blood test won't find anything. It could be in your system and undetected. The only 100% test is when they test the fluid in a blister. So if you have a cluster, of blisters, you go to the lab, and they extract fluid from one.

The way that stdtestexpress does it, is you register online, go to the lab, pay the lab. Three days later, you log in, and your test results are online. So basically, unless you have blisters, you can't really tell for sure with one test.
How would you ever tell then if you are asymptomatic? Can't for sure? I have not had any blisters.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:07 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,809,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
How would you ever tell then if you are asymptomatic? Can't for sure? I have not had any blisters.

That may be the case. It is true for HPV with men as well. You may never know. Best consult with your physician though, I would hope detection methods are constantly changing.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,251,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh come off it, it is super common. I'm negative for it as of my last test, but have dated people that have it. Not that huge a deal and precautions can be taken (they both took meds for it). If you've slept with a handful of people in your life the odds are huge you've slept with someone that had it.

Anyway, OP, if you're near a major metro area (and probably most mid size metro areas), there are STD clinics at many of the largest hospitals that are free/donation only, and not tied to your med insurance / doctors office. This is the one for the Boston area:
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) Testing and Treatment- MGH

Look for something similar in your area. If you're having trouble, contact a local gay health alliance type group in your area and they'll know who offers what.

Right! I guess in some "clusters" of the population.

OP---I suggest if you test clean, that in the future you use some sort of barrier--- if you are gong to choose to sleep with carriers of disease.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,809,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post

OP---I suggest if you test clean, that in the future you use some sort of barrier--- if you are gong to choose to sleep with carriers of disease.

Across the population. Not in some "clusters". It is far more common than most people think with some estimates indicating over a third of the population has been exposed.

Oh, and there are no barriers that prevent the transmission of HPV or HSV2. Condoms, etc do not stop the spread. HPV at least has a vaccine now.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:41 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,716,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post

That is untrue, but, I can't help but to wonder what "clusters" of the population do you think has this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships