Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Women want rings and not the wedding because the man pays for the ring and the woman's family typically pays for the wedding. So... they'd rather the man spend a lot of money because they don't want to.

Why not just tell it how it is?
Does the woman's family still pay for weddings? I thought that went out a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 09:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Women want rings and not the wedding because the man pays for the ring and the woman's family typically pays for the wedding. So... they'd rather the man spend a lot of money because they don't want to.

Why not just tell it how it is?
This tradition is actually increasingly less common in contemporary society, particularly among marriages between established adults with professional incomes.

My husband and I paid for our wedding ourselves...it's not that unusual.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:40 AM

191 posts, read 485,718 times
This should not be a turn off.

My engagement ring was my MIL's ring however if my husband had proposed without a ring I would have been fine as well. He knows the type of person I am when it comes to "material" things. In my opinion, the marriage is more important then any wedding or engagement ring could ever be on any given day. It seems like the ring is just to show off to your friends/family (and I am not trying to keep up with the Joneses).

Old 01-02-2015, 10:45 AM

I don't think rings are necessarily about bragging rights (though some use them as such, it's why diamonds come in different sizes).

Rings, no matter what gemstone is in them, if they are plain bands, etc. have a lot of symbolism and tradition tied up in their use. Most of the time, the appeal lies in the tradition and symbolism. People who use big-ticket items as conspicuous status symbols are people who are going to be that way regardless of the presence of a ring or not. It's a personality flaw.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:48 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Does the woman's family still pay for weddings? I thought that went out a long time ago.
It did. It still happens on occasion, just as anything does...but it's definitely not the norm.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
It did. It still happens on occasion, just as anything does...but it's definitely not the norm.

Well that's what I thought. Nearly all the people I know mid 20's and older have paid for their own wedding. Most people I know have small affordable weddings.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:57 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
seen a couple of women here would prefer an "engagement ring" over a wedding

fascinating!

i'd like to discuss the details behind that thought process
A ring is an outward symbol of your commitment that anyone you meet can see. If you meet someone you have no way of knowing if they had a wedding by looking at them. If I had to chose, I would want a wedding ring more than a wedding. That said, my wedding was really fun and pretty cheap as far as weddings go. My engagement ring was, apparently, pretty cheap too if you believe the $10k numbers being thrown around on here.

I don't think it would have bothered my husband if I didn't want an engagement ring. I love jewelry though and my wedding set is one of the few pieces of jewelry I have that I didn't make.

I have a couple friends (as in, they are husband and wife) who got tattoos that fit together when they clasp hands instead of exchanging wedding rings. I could never do that (too wimpy and outward tattoos aren't great in the banking world) but I thought it was cool.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
A ring is an outward symbol of your commitment that anyone you meet can see. If you meet someone you have no way of knowing if they had a wedding by looking at them. If I had to chose, I would want a wedding ring more than a wedding. That said, my wedding was really fun and pretty cheap as far as weddings go. My engagement ring was, apparently, pretty cheap too if you believe the $10k numbers being thrown around on here.

I don't think it would have bothered my husband if I didn't want an engagement ring. I love jewelry though and my wedding set is one of the few pieces of jewelry I have that I didn't make.
I didn't care one way or another about an engagement ring.

It was important to my husband, actually.

I also had a less costly wedding, and, in all likelihood, a less costly engagement ring than most. I don't know what my husband paid for my ring (nor do I care to know), but based on the style and size, it was doubtless much less than numbers being bandied about on here, and that is 150% A-OK with me. The money that didn't get sunk on jewelry was put to good use, between things for our home and our honeymoon trip to the United Kingdom. My ring is beautiful, but spending a ton of money on a ring, to me, is silly.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I'm all for simple. Sans ring is not a turnoff.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:05 AM

894 posts, read 1,049,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Nowadays it's more common for couples to pick up some of the expenses, especially now that people are marrying at later ages. My fiancé and I are mid-thirties and we're just doing a small backyard ceremony with a cookout to follow and no gift registry. My father is deceased and my mom is retired and there's no way I would ever let her spend her savings on a big wedding. My mom stated she'd like to pay for some flowers, but we're taking care of everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships