Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:01 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,883,738 times

Advertisements

- have been hurt before (wah, wah, who cares)
- long novel about how great they are or poems
- LOL's (grow up)
- mentioning God (make your x at the religion box, that's enough).
- claiming to be soooo busy (why do you want to date if you are too busy???)
- "I spend every free minute with my kids.." (so what do you want from me?)
- remarks about wanting to date a specific race
- desperation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 11:10 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,322,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
- have been hurt before (wah, wah, who cares)
- long novel about how great they are or poems
- LOL's (grow up)
- mentioning God (make your x at the religion box, that's enough).
- claiming to be soooo busy (why do you want to date if you are too busy???)
- "I spend every free minute with my kids.." (so what do you want from me?)
- remarks about wanting to date a specific race
- desperation
Can't rep you at the moment, but

Old 01-08-2015, 11:23 AM

13,609 posts, read 9,647,657 times
My only incontrovertible dealbreaker is the question of children. The woman in question must not have any children, or wish to have any. Everything else is negotiable… age, race, appearance, money, even religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
For what it's worth, you don't have to approve of the person to appreciate something they might have said.
Indeed.

"Man is a fighting animal"

"Quantity has a quality all of its own"

Brilliant and pithy quips, from two men of perhaps the greatest turpitude in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The phrases:

"I'm seeking a partner in crime"
"I'm as comfortable in jeans and a ball cap as I am in a dress and heels"
"I hate drama and don't want it in my life" (Defensiveness in general is a turn off: no liars, don't contact me if you want sex, etc etc)

Talking about their relationship with Jesus...
Agreed, at least nominally. But isn't at least one of the above statements featured in the vast majority of profiles? I've observed that the local quirky/secular/iconoclast types, who don't profess affinity for Jesus, tend to describe themselves with cliches from the opposing extreme, such as the "seeking a partner in crime".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
  • Anything negative - what he didn't want, what he wasn't looking for, dislikes.
Why not? What if the profile states, "I detest negativity"?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,842,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Agreed, at least nominally. But isn't at least one of the above statements featured in the vast majority of profiles? I've observed that the local quirky/secular/iconoclast types, who don't profess affinity for Jesus, tend to describe themselves with cliches from the opposing extreme, such as the "seeking a partner in crime".

Yes, but that isn't relevant. I was just looking for one person, and rarely messaged more than person a week.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Apart from being a cliché, the phrase, "Seeking a partner in crime" is just STUPID.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:35 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,322,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

Why not? What if the profile states, "I detest negativity"?
Not this quirky/secular/iconoclast. I'm a writer. I rigorously cleanse cliches from my profile. *shudder*

Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,883,738 times
Quote:
The phrases:

"I'm seeking a partner in crime"
"I'm as comfortable in jeans and a ball cap as I am in a dress and heels"

whats wrong with that???

Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,842,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Apart from being a cliché, the phrase, "Seeking a partner in crime" is just STUPID.

Well, it is, unless they really mean it. I responded when people wrote me with that in their profiles with something along the lines of "what crimes would you like to commit together".

If they came back with something witty, there was hope.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,569,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
List is different for everyone.

if she doesn't even fill out the essay questions and puts in 'ask me' in several fields
its auto-skip for me.
I don't write "ask me", but I wrote very little in my OkCupid profile because I personally don't like reading long ones. If you tell me everything about yourself up front, there's not a whole lot I can ask you in the small talk phase. Also, I answered quite a few public match questions, so I figured that should make up for my lack of profile information.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:45 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,991 times
Quote:
Well, it is, unless they really mean it. I responded when people wrote me with that in their profiles with something along the lines of "what crimes would you like to commit together".

If they came back with something witty, there was hope.
Well first I would do something banned in San Antonio, Texas...then something illegal In Georgia. Following that we could do something banned in Indiana and to top it all off we would do something very banned Cincinnati, Ohio

And if you figure all those out we're a match made in heaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships