Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:21 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I'm all for that. The woman shouldn't act aloof or off-putting either. But moreso than the woman, the guy should be making an effort to make sure she's having a good time.
Why, exactly, should more burden fall on the guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 03:23 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Because he's the man. Chivalry.

I think a lot of guys have been so burned by women that they're reluctant to give anything upfront anymore. They come into it untrusting. But that defensiveness only turns the woman off.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,025 times
First let me say that personally I do all these things when dating as well as picking up the check and talking about her interests/job, etc. With that said, your post kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Not once did you mention about making HIM feel special too. It was all me, me, me. Sorry, but if I'm the one having to do the bulk of everything there won't be another date.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,421,377 times
Quote:
yeah its on both people, a little more the male sure, but its on both

Old 01-19-2015, 03:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
I think she probably did NOTHING to make the dude comfortable. Even if you believe in that chilvary BS, the woman should do SOMETHING to let encourage the dude to put his guard down.

17,869 posts, read 20,987,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This thread is going to be awesome. I can tell.
Like the thread you totally didn't make but you became the OP earlier this morning. I still don't understand how that happened, but it did.

and BTW, I have to actually get a date, to get to date 2. Therein lies the improbable task.

1,823 posts, read 2,844,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
First let me say that personally I do all these things when dating as well as picking up the check and talking about her interests/job, etc. With that said, your post kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Not once did you mention about making HIM feel special too. It was all me, me, me. Sorry, but if I'm the one having to do the bulk of everything there won't be another date.
If you read a couple posts down, I do agree that the woman should put in effort as well. But what I'm saying is, the guy sets the tone. If a guy does what you do on a date, he sets the stage for making the woman feel comfortable, and then she is much more likely to reciprocate those things.

7,454 posts, read 13,421,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
well said

Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Because he's the man. Chivalry.
Good luck dating with these expectations.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,304 times
My best female friend said that a lot of dates she goes on with men results in them taking charge of the entire conversation. In other words, they tend to talk exclusively about themselves and make it difficult for the woman to join the dialogue.

The vibe I get is that women love to talk about themselves. So one of the better strategies on the first few dates is to keep them engaged by asking them questions about their job, hobbies, family, friends, etc. When the time is right, you can segue into talking about something in your life or move on to the next topic.

That said, there's a lot of give and take during a date. I've went on dates with women who were offputting because they did not engage enough. I understand shyness, but if you can't open up during any point of the date, you probably need to work on your social skills before you get on the dating market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships