U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 01:44 PM

13,230 posts, read 11,758,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Good point, I can see that too.. lol
I just feel like if the person I'm dating insists on being friends with their ex, it should also be no problem for me to have male friends too no matter who they are or when I met them. I know Timberline would probably be cool with this, but not everyone would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 01:46 PM

32,716 posts, read 22,666,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I just feel like if the person I'm dating insists on being friends with their ex, it should also be no problem for me to have male friends too no matter who they are or when I met them. I know Timberline would probably be cool with this, but not everyone would be.

If a guy tries to dictate to you that you can't have male friends I hope you would tell him to kiss your ***.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:54 PM

13,230 posts, read 11,758,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If a guy tries to dictate to you that you can't have male friends I hope you would tell him to kiss your ***.
My experience having male friends hasn't been a good one. They pretended to be my friends but it was all fake. They wanted more from me and when I made it clear that I wasn't interested (not like I hadn't been telling them that for YEARS), they moved on. Honestly, I wouldn't even want any male friends if I were in a relationship (and I don't want any while I'm single either unless I'm interested in them romantically) but I'm just making a point.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:25 PM

4,549 posts, read 3,502,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Funny. Current partners hate when you're remotely friends with and ex. Lol

That's the reason why I don't stay friends with ex's.
I agree with this. if I broke up with a partner, I would want no further contact. Even if it's amicable, because sometimes it's awkward for a new partner when an ex lover is still around. And me personally, I am someone who would feel awkward about it. So, I wouldn't do it myself. But this is friends, people you hang out with alot and are still super close to. But an ex you see now and again, and/or are cordial to, that's fine,a nd mature.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,144,875 times
It really depends. Can totally be casual if ran into each other

Old 01-27-2015, 01:29 AM

3,343 posts, read 2,495,903 times
Quote:
Sure, in some cases, exes can have a healthy friendship and there's nothing more to it than that. But that doesn't mean I have to approve of it or encourage it.
No one said you have to approve of it or encourage it. Generally speaking your position should be to keep your nose out of it. And you likely do. But this is a discussion forum - you asked outright why people without kids would do this - and I gave you an answer. Your only reply was to reject the answer and declare there was only ever one answer you were going to accept anyway. Which makes one question the reason you would have asked in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with maintaining a relationship with an ex - nor have you or anyone else managed to give a reason why we should think there is anything wrong with it. You disapprove of it for no apperent reason other than "Just because".

Quote:
But if your exes are so important that you'd refuse to cut contact even if it made a current partner uncomfortable, therein lies the problem.
Not seeing a problem there at all. As the user said there are numerous people who will not have a partner dictate to them who their friends can or can not be. Some people are happy to have this dictated to them - and there is nothing wrong with that either. Like Timber however - myself and a multitude of other people - would simply not enter into a relationship where someone tried to decide who are friends could be.

Quote:
Yes, I think a partner who you're serious about should take precedence over your friends.
"Take precedence" is a vague phrase which can mean too much and too little. My partners "take precedence" over my friends too - to a degree. But not to a totality where being with my partners precludes me being with my close friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or