Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I just think there are more options for people than ever. Those options are more acceptable today than they were 30 years ago. Divorce is even more acceptable and the norm.

It isn't the norm though. Most people that marry, remain married, by a good number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 02:47 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkergraduate View Post
That's "male" energy. If both you and your mate are equal then sex with them would be like incest or homosexuality.

Um..... NO.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM

103 posts, read 100,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They marry over thirty because they're finally in an economic position (they finished school, possibly grad school, and are into their careers), they've matured (20 somethings are generally (not entirely) pretty immature emotionally) and they met someone they wanted to marry. This is a great thing. People with a BS (at least) and who marry in their 30s or later have very low divorce rates. they also tend not to have too many children. Its a great stabilizer for society.
Thanks a lot for your comment. According to your comment most of people have üniversity degree in US(open to question, it depends on the unemployment of graduateds) and the economy of USA is not as well as we thought.. It's a big problem seems so senseless. You got a 78(average) year life and the beginning of puberty 13(I assume as the average) you have to live single in most part of your life (I certainly don't criticize sexually)

Old 01-28-2015, 02:53 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaskedaddle View Post
I'm not able to comprehend that.. Why does a person marry over 30?(no problem average 35 for you) It's too late,isn't it? It's really too late. Actually we should talk about age at first marriage.. It's a problem or not in terms of everything, personal phsically,psychologically and for the state(you know population) The average of age atfirst marriage is 29 in US. I actually don't live in US but this rate is close to my country's.
Why are you not able to comprehend that? What's to comprehend? Too late for what? Most of my friends got married around 31-33 years old. I have some friends that got married much later and some that got married much earlier.

Quote:
They marry over thirty because they're finally in an economic position (they finished school, possibly grad school, and are into their careers), they've matured (20 somethings are generally (not entirely) pretty immature emotionally) and they met someone they wanted to marry. This is a great thing. People with a BS (at least) and who marry in their 30s or later have very low divorce rates. they also tend not to have too many children. Its a great stabilizer for society.
I agree. I got married at 28 but I was the first out of most of my friends. My husband was the last out of his college friends but they were all from the south.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Both sexes are vital, of course, but historically men have always been the most expendable (less valuable). If push comes to shove and we are talking about the survival of the human race, then the woman is more valuable. It takes nine months for a woman to develop and deliver a single baby. While one man is enough to fertilize many many women.
Hmmm! If there was a scenario where a handful of men are running around impregnating hundreds of women each, wouldn't we then have numerous unrealized half siblings running around and potentially committing incest in the next generation?

Genetic realities seem to indicate the value is in gender balance.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
why do people care so much about what others decide to do together?

Live your lives and worry about your own "mistakes"

Old 01-28-2015, 02:58 PM

103 posts, read 100,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
why do people care so much about what others decide to do?

Love your lives and worry about your own "mistakes"
Everybody is here and most of they pretend everything it's ok, though..

Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Bob and Sue get married and divorce. Then Bob and Sue remarry (Bob to Jane and Sue to Bill). That's 3 marriages.

If Bob and Sue don't get divorced and stay married, that's just 1 marriage. One marriage is less than three marriages, and that makes the marriage rate lower.
This is why a more relevant statistic is the percentage of adults within some age-bracket who are married, those who are cohabiting, those who have romantic relations but are not living together, and those who are genuinely single (unattached to anyone romantically).

By way of analogy, a brick thrown through a window increases GDP, because it generates economic activity in the form of insurance claims and construction to rebuild the windows and to clean up the mess. But it is not productive economic activity. In the same way, divorce and remarriage increases the number of marriages.

Quote:
I agree that lower divorce rates is stabilizing for society, but I'm not sure about delay of marriages. Married couples drive the real estate industry and its associated industries (home furnishings, home repair and so forth). Delay of marriage in many cases means delay of consumption, curtailing the consumer activity that drives some 75% of our economy.

Also, how many Americans have a 4-year college degree, let alone a graduate degree? Many of us have social circles where the vast majority have impeccable educational credentials. But this is not the mainstream. At my workplace, nearly everyone has a BSE or above; some one fourth of us have PhDs. But in the township where I reside, local statistics show 16% of adults over 25 have a 4-year degree, and less than 5% have a graduate degree of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I just think there are more options for people than ever. Those options are more acceptable today than they were 30 years ago. Divorce is even more acceptable and the norm.
The having of options is a mixed blessing. It means greater potential happiness for the enterprising and the energetic, but more stress and uncertainty for the phlegmatic and aloof.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:02 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna1343 View Post
Scientists have discovered how to reproduce the chemical in spermatoza that causes the egg to divide and the female to reproduce. They've created successful pregnancies in rats without a male.

Juuuuust gonna let that hang in the thread for awhile <please insert ominous music in the background of this post>.
But have those scientists followed the process all the way through yet? Sure they have gotten cell division to occur but are there other substances in the spermatoza that are critical and come into play later in the reproductive process? That chemical may initiate cell division but can it replicate the DNA and do whatever else required to turn an egg into a little human?

I'm no scientist but I believe that reproduction from only one set of DNA (in this case the mother's) would have worse consequences that what normally occurs from incest.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:14 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,233 times
Why do you guys like to quote studies and use them as excuses to not even get into the game?? Who cares if the divorce rate were 90%? I sure as hell wouldn't think that chances are that if I got married, I'd probably end up divorced...I'd get married and put the effort in, to be in the 10%....Why? Because out of all relationships....guy friends, female friends, family, children, colleagues.....a healthy relationship with a woman, is the most satisfying. Because of that, it shouldn't matter what the studies say...you do what it takes...

Some people really should break their google....that's the excuse engine for fail. Instead of searching about life, why not live it....and if you make a mistake, learn from it.....experience is more rewarding that searching for relationship stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships