Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 02:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmuggler View Post
Yes, most women do marry up. You're just wrong.

Sorry not sorry.
Oh because you say so?

Whatever.

The Upside of 'Marrying Down' - WSJ

More Women Are 'Marrying Down'

Women Are Marrying Less Educated Men

Record number of educated women are 'marrying down' - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:10 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:

Sorry not sorry.

Men pay 97% of alimony.
Gotta cut in here. One (men/alimony statement) does not prove the other (women marrying up). One, or both could be true, but one doesn't prove the other.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:12 PM

376 posts, read 317,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I really, really disagree with the underlined. I think there's a strong desire for many to get married. If the scenario you propose became true, I suspect that women would "settle" (so to speak) to get married.

Edit: There's also a significant difference between WANTING to marry up, and actually doing so.
I think your theory has equal validity as mine. That is probably my number 2 scenario.

The part that I think is inarguable is that, the well of higher-earning, higher-status men for women to "marry up" to will dry up. It has to.

College graduation skew is 60/40 now and is only going to widen.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:12 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
My theory is that the marriage rate will continue to decline, for the reasons you, I and others are outlining.

Women may end up with young, hot stud muffins, as you put it, but why would they marry them?

This is the crux of the issue. Women "marry up" almost exclusively, and when that well starts running dry, they simply won't marry. Indeed, I feel that a lot of women feel that "marrying up" is the ONLY reason to marry, or at the very least, the most important reason. So when they can't do that, they simply won't marry.
I wouldn't necessarily say women marry up as women don't so much marry down or at least way down. Most people I know are fairly equal in education and earning potential.

Anyway, why do you believe that women would just not marry. Men seem to have no problem with it. Why do men marry women that will never measure up financially?

Old 01-30-2015, 02:13 PM

We're talking averages here. Most women still marry up. Marrying down may be trending, but is nowhere near the norm, nor will it ever be, IMO.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:15 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
I think your theory has equal validity as mine. That is probably my number 2 scenario.

The part that I think is inarguable is that, the well of higher-earning, higher-status men for women to "marry up" to will dry up. It has to.

College graduation skew is 60/40 now and is only going to widen.
You'd think, wouldn't you? But men are stupid creatures, particularly when it comes to social relations. As long as there are men with money, there will be men that don't mind being taken advantage of. The more money one has, the less value each dollar has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say women marry up as women don't so much marry down or at least way down.
This is a good way to put it. The desire to "not marry down" appears stronger than the desire to "marry up", in my experience for women.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say women marry up as women don't so much marry down or at least way down. Most people I know are fairly equal in education and earning potential.

1. Anyway, why do you believe that women would just not marry. Men seem to have no problem with it. 2. Why do men marry women that will never measure up financially?
1. Because there's nothing in it for them. Women marry primarily for financial gain, security and stability.

2. For sex/companionship.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:18 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Men pay 97% of alimony.
But alimony is only awarded in around 10% of divorces, so for the vast majority of divorced men there isn't enough income inequality to call for alimony. Like tends to marry like.

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

Sorry not sorry.

Men pay 97% of alimony.
You realize that with the average divorced couple alimony is rare. Alimony is usually a burden of very wealthy men marrying down and of course there are more very rich men marrying down than the other way around so skews the 97%. And women paying alimony is on the rise.

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Men and women just aren't interested in dating anymore. The modern dating world is a joke and so many decide it's not worth the effort. Add in the fact that men and women are becoming less attractive to each other.
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships