U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,142,291 times

Advertisements

Have you been in a forbidden relationship where your family or friends did not approve?
Did work in the end ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 12:15 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,477,619 times
Nope. I generally find if my family or friends don't approve of someone, I probably don't either.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:36 AM

33,556 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Nope. If many people see the same red flags, then the relationship is not going to happen. Love is blind, but "bystanders" can assess such relationship without personal emotions.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 AM

468 posts, read 341,861 times
I don't know what you mean by 'forbidden', but if two ADULTS who are SINGLE/UNMARRIED get together, it nothing forbidden at all.

Me 30 and my BF 29, we are two adults who both are single/umarried, no kids. MORALLY there nothing wrong with us getting together, our only sin was he is not Chinese.

My ignoratnt Chinese mother just simply hate him, and disapproved him. Mom doesn't even care to know his name, let alone know anything about him or his life. She doesn't even want to hear anything related to him, she refused to meet him.

What funny is mom still want to CONTROL me when I been out on my own for more than a decade.
I move out of her house and survive on my own without a penny help from her for the past 12 years. Yet she still think she have full control over my life like when I was a baby.
She still trying to control who I date, her 'dictatorship' ways until today still haven't change.

Well forget her, and I don't need my family to approve my relationship neither. They have to get out of the old traditional mindset of their Chinese cutlure, and accept that "Interracial Relationship" happened alot here in USA.
If they force their daughter to married a Chinese man, well move back to China then.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:39 AM

1,287 posts, read 889,033 times
If you are going through a phase of experimentation, then I'd suggest not letting the 'rents/family in on the whole situation. I can tell you that in most cases...Forbidden...cheating based relationships tend to not work out. It would bode the third party to not get emotionally attached at all, since you will be the one who gets surprised when that lover doesn't want to play anymore. If you are going to dip your toe, do so with an understanding, that you are sport/recreation/distraction...if you can do that, it can be great, no strings, casual, nobody to have to answer to, just fun.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:30 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,785,952 times
My girlfriend is Chinese, from a traditional family in Hunan. We met here in China and fell in love. We're quite happy together, but her parents have spoken their disapproval. We haven't met yet; they *do* want to meet me, though, and we will most likely meet over the Spring Festival in late Feb.

We basically just go about our business as per normal and she tells her parents to stop if their phone conversations ever get on the topic of how she needs to dump me and move back to Hunan to marry their friend's son. Thankfully, they've mostly gotten the point. Her friends and brother like me. It's just the parents... also, my family is totally OK with her.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:29 AM

245 posts, read 162,361 times
It's 2015, the only "forbidden" relationships are if you are >18 and she is <18 or inter-species...

Who gives a rats a$$ about interracial stuff these days. If you love each other, who cares. If your folks or her folks cant get behind you, f-them!

Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Have you been in a forbidden relationship where your family or friends did not approve?
Did work in the end ?
Define forbidden.. is one of you married? Under age?

if you are both adults....I can't imagine a forbidden relationship.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Nope. I generally find if my family or friends don't approve of someone, I probably don't either.
So if you family and friends only approve of guys from a certain area of the world...you are going along with their prejudice...or are you just prejudice as well?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:10 PM

13,485 posts, read 11,027,157 times
Never! because I simply dont care what anybody thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships