U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-11-2015, 07:39 PM
 
366 posts, read 295,436 times
Reputation: 876

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
Do you understand the concept of economies of scale? It is best summarized in the old colloquial saying "two can live as cheaply as one."

Broken families have to pay for two homes, two phone bills, two cable bills, two electric bills, two gas bills, two mortgages, two sets of property taxes, etc.

That's why broken families are the road to serfdom. That's why so many people these days are having so much trouble getting by these days.
Broken families are 2 families. Each pays their own bills- 1 home, 1 phone bill, etc. It's not one family paying 2 sets of bills.

Anyway, it's beneficial to society when men marry single mothers. 2 incomes and 2 parents in the home are better for kids than just 1. In fact, it's alarmingly close to a "traditional" setup that you seem to idolize.



Quote:
I dont care how you live. I just will fight you tooth and nail when you claim it is as desirable as living in a tradtional family unit. It isn't and never will be. It is a Marxism and there are a lot of people who listen to the echo chamber and are aactually stupid enough to believe this nonsense. They need people like me to tell them there are other ways to live and that those ways generally result in better outcomes.
Who claimed that?

Do people always react this well when you enlighten them? Lol.

 
Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,540,398 times
Reputation: 47459
When they stop raising somebody else's kid who is paying her for the job
Watch out she might be trying to collect her pay but have u do the job
 
Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 PM
 
6,849 posts, read 4,441,657 times
Reputation: 12014
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
...the road to serfdom.
Before this thread gets locked, and before we segue into debate over Friedrich Hayek, a few incendiary points of my own:

1. For well-educated, affluent, heterosexual white men, indeed things were "easier" 50 years ago (unless they were Jewish, handicapped or otherwise ill, adherents to a marginalized creed, etc.).

2. From a purely selfish viewpoint, if single moms and single dads WERE to be marginalized in the dating-market, those of us without children would enjoy comparative advantage. I don't advocate enslaving my neighbor so that I personally may be enriched, but we ought to admit that some aspects of life are, in fact, zero-sum.

3. To WheresTheBeef's point, in a Marxist society, to the extent that such a thing could ever be implemented, mates would be selected by the State, divorce would be forbidden, and adultery would likely be a capital offense. In essence this would be a secular form of Sharia law.
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
27 posts, read 16,745 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
All this talk of single moms being undateable and undesirable...

Will it always be the case for single moms? Do you ever become desirable again in the dating pool?
Yeah, What's all this talk? I married young and have two children. It didn't work out because of many reasons... Long story short, I don't have a problem when it comes to dating. I get asked out a lot, but I'm not ready for a serious relationship right now.

To each his own. Everyone has a preference. If you don't want to date single moms, don't do it. If you do, more power to ya!
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 PM
 
252 posts, read 246,963 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

3. To WheresTheBeef's point, in a Marxist society, to the extent that such a thing could ever be implemented, mates would be selected by the State, divorce would be forbidden, and adultery would likely be a capital offense. In essence this would be a secular form of Sharia law.
Marx advocated these things both to weaken religious discipline and to divest people of capital. In other words, bring the haves down to the level of the have nots. Whether this was by design or not, it made people dependent on government.

I have trouble believing Marx was smart enough to think through all the various unintended consequences that we're going to result if people adopted the things that he was advocating. nevertheless the closely related sexual revolution types sold people on a life of shunning delay of gratification and seeking pleasure over discipline. Society is a mess because of it.
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:36 PM
 
3,037 posts, read 2,348,568 times
Reputation: 3568
Look op I'm sorry about your experiences but they aren't representative of my own. As far as my life has been, my options remain the same as they were before I had my son. I don't consider myself undesirable and have not had an issue with men finding me undesirable either. Frankly I don't care that there are men that don't want single moms, good for them. I'm only concerned with dating the men I want and from my experience it's been mutual because thus far the men I want also want me. The men that I don't want-welp I don't care if they don't want me or if they do, because they are blips on the radar. Perhaps the blips are also the men who don't want single mothers-since as of yet I have yet to meet a man that I desire that is turned off by the fact I'm a mother.

Perhaps I'm also unique in that my sons dad wants to be with me and has continuously made it clear despite the fact that I no longer want to be with him. Yes I could save the family and all would be well but i would rather be single than be with him. My happiness matters more to me than saving the family unit and upholding morals taught to me by this society that I i live in, certain morals that I myself don't care much about.
Beliefs create reality. You believe your undesirable that is how you will be treated and it will show itself to you in all your dating experiences.

Last edited by Faith2187; 02-11-2015 at 08:45 PM..
 
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 PM
 
379 posts, read 313,769 times
Reputation: 345
Default When she is as hot as Sofia Vergara

http://quotes.whyfame.com/sofia-vergara-damn-good-2246
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,879,665 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
This is the part I object to when people say they won't date single parents. It's totally fine to not want to take on the extra responsibility or not want to be around kids, but why do you have to put down or make negative generalisations about people who do? Just because YOU don't see the value in a person with children doesn't mean there is something wrong with people who do.

Why does it have to be a superiority thing rather than just a preference.

That's like me saying I don't want to date red headed men, and anyone who does is stupid and doesn't know what attractive is.
I wouldn't give it any thought at all if these men had ignored me and people hadn't judged me for not dating single dads. However because I don't date dads I have been called all kinds of names.
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 PM
 
10,026 posts, read 8,879,665 times
Reputation: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
When they are legally adopted -by law, by religion and by tradition- they are the same as my kids. Usually they have to be adopted because their parents don't want them and the adoptive parent does want them.

That's a different concept from someone's baby momma, or daddy divorcing mommy because the new secretary looks pretty hot. Not anything I want to get involved with. Wallow in your own poverty because of your bad decisions. It's not up to me to plug the financial gap!!!
This is what people don't get. Adoption means there is no ex or whatever unless one adopts their spouses kids. Otherwise sure the birth parents might be around but in a limited way. The baby mama/daddy may be around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
So it doesn't bother you that society over the last 50 or so years has become a mess because too many people loosened their standards and adopted Cultural Marxism? Whether you like the traditional way of doing things or not, at least most people knew who their blood relatives were. The situation wasn't always perfect, but overall? Things were far better than they are today in a world of 40% divorce rates, baby mommas and "blended" families.

Live your live however you want. It isn't my business. Just don't elevate this to some kind of superior lifestyle, because it isn't. It is the path to impoverishment and a lifetime as a wage slave.
While I am glad the women's movement happened and gave us rights I don't like the mess we have now. Kids deserve to have both parents and not what we have now with single unwed parenthood, divorce, etc. I realize sometimes it happens but other times it shouldn't (especially in cases of multiple kids out of wedlock). I work with kids and I see a difference between kids with divorced parents. I know people who had kids without marriage and in most cases this does hurt the mom more than anything and taxpayers usually too. Taxes go up along with crime, gangs etc.
 
Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM
 
252 posts, read 246,963 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
While I am glad the women's movement happened and gave us rights I don't like the mess we have now. Kids deserve to have both parents and not what we have now with single unwed parenthood, divorce, etc. I realize sometimes it happens but other times it shouldn't (especially in cases of multiple kids out of wedlock). I work with kids and I see a difference between kids with divorced parents. I know people who had kids without marriage and in most cases this does hurt the mom more than anything and taxpayers usually too. Taxes go up along with crime, gangs etc.
I have mixed feelings on the women's lib thing, but too long to get into here. But you are correct about kids with two parents who prioritize their welfare above everything else, which is the way it should be at least in the Christian world. Marriage isn't about sexual infatuation and great sex. Its about friendship, partnership and creating a strong family unit. The things Christianity teaches (and I'm no holy roller) are to be selective with who you share body fluids with in order to facilitate a strong emotional bond which, in turn, creates the strong family unit. (In my experience, this is the foundation that results in great sex, not what position you read about in Cosmo.)

People in the 1960's thought all that stuff was stupid and look what we have today: We have a fairly robust upper middle class that generally follows those traditional ways and prospers. But the lower you are on the educational or economic scale the more likely it is that you bought into all this shyt that the leftists were shoveling and we have a lot of messed up lives these days as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top