U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 PM

252 posts, read 245,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Blood relatives molest kids, too.
They do, but it is nowhere near the level at which non-blood relatives do it. This is not to knock non-blood relatives as being all bad. Its just human nature and biology, with a lot of instigation from our hyper sexualized culture.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,856,225 times
My ex best friend and a former roommate were both raped by their fathers and I believe (not sure but I read this somewhere)that most child molestation has to do with relatives.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You sound really charming.
So I should just hand over my wallet to someone else? It takes a village, right? Uh huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My ex best friend and a former roommate were both raped by their fathers and I believe (not sure but I read this somewhere)that most child molestation has to do with relatives.
You have to be careful with this stuff. The key word is "father" or "family". Like marriage, those words have loose meanings these days. Common sense tells you blood relatives will not do that at the same rate because of a variety of factors ... And research backs me up -- research has provided evidence of a 5-fold increase in risk of child abuse for step-children compared to biological children.

I learned this in a family law class 20 years ago -- with a leftist professor!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 PM

Wheresthebeef, just curious if you ever dated a single mom? I dated a few single dads and this is why my issue is a dealbreaker. It was horrific for me so I avoid.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:32 PM

38,751 posts, read 37,920,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
So I should just hand over my wallet to someone else? It takes a village, right? Uh huh.
You could have said your views up above without the dripping condescension and nastiness........ My thought was the same as Redzin's when I read that rant about someone else's kids you posted........ and I don't even have kids myself.......

Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
You have to be careful with this stuff. The key word is "father" or "family". Like marriage, those words have loose meanings these days. Common sense tells you blood relatives will not do that at the same rate because of a variety of factors ... And research backs me up -- research has provided evidence of a 5-fold increase in risk of child abuse for step-children compared to biological children.

I learned this in a family law class 20 years ago -- with a leftist professor!
No these were their biological fathers which makes it worse.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 PM

33,055 posts, read 26,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You could have said your views up above without the dripping condescension and nastiness........ My thought was the same as Redzin's when I read that rant about someone else's kids you posted........ and I don't even have kids myself.......
The wallet thing is hilarious. Plenty of single moms can pay their own bills.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Wheresthebeef, just curious if you ever dated a single mom? I dated a few single dads and this is why my issue is a dealbreaker. It was horrific for me so I avoid.
A couple of setups, but it wasn't a place where I wanted to be. Catholics don't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, there was no condescension - I was just stating fact. If they are my kids, I put up with those things ... because they're my kids and that's part of the deal. But when they're YOUR kids? I have no interest in any of that except maybe in a Brady Bunch kind of setup (two widow/ers).

You are fighting human nature here. 80% of men think the same way. They may want to boink you, but no way they want to get stuck with the bills for your kids. Children's Services was even running ads on the radio a few years ago. The gist of the ads was that "just because your boyfriend may love you, it doesn't mean he also loves your kid. Beware when leaving your child alone with your boyfriend or something bad might happen to your kid." Yes those ads were from Children's Services, ie a unit of your friendly local government. My jaw dropped when I heard them -- I couldn't believe they had the guts to do it!

Last edited by WheresTheBeef; 02-11-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
A couple of setups, but it wasn't a place where I wanted to be. Catholics don't do that.
I'm Catholic too and this is one reason I would never marry a divorced or never married dad. I wouldn't even marry a divorced man (no kids)unless he got an annulment. Many people don't understand that the Catholic Church doesn't approve of this lifestyle for the most part (though it's changing).

Old 02-11-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
No these were their biological fathers which makes it worse.
I understand I'm just saying beware when you read the word "father" or "family member" in any kind of media. Lefties think family isn't defined by blood and "father" in that context could mean anything from biological father to anything you can imagine.

Quote:
I'm Catholic too and this is one reason I would never marry a divorced or never married dad. I wouldn't even marry a divorced man (no kids)unless he got an annulment. Many people don't understand that the Catholic Church doesn't approve of this lifestyle for the most part (though it's changing).
It will never change. My priest says none of us are perfect and everyone is loved but if you want the church's blessing you should probably find another church. These rules and these traditions exist for a reason, Christianity was essentially rebelling against pagan society because the very same issues we are experiencing today had basically destroyed Roman culture. (Romans accused Christians of being atheists because they shunned the pagan gods.) Christianity proved a far better way to live and that's one of the main reasons it took root in the West.

Last edited by WheresTheBeef; 02-11-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.