U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 PM

10,026 posts, read 8,864,398 times

Advertisements

I don't know, there is talk to make the church less strict about divorce. There is good and bad about this of course.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
All this talk of single moms being undateable and undesirable...

Will it always be the case for single moms? Do you ever become desirable again in the dating pool?
Depends. If she has her life together, she can be very dateable and desirable.

The single mom that I currently have an interest in was very desirable when she was married and when she got divorced she became very dateable. When she told me that she just got divorced I immediately thought, "Too bad for him..."

[]

Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 PM

252 posts, read 246,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is quite true, and very ironic. In modern America, the people with the most sophisticated education tend to lead the most conservative lives.

But there's a noxious and unfortunate flip side. Those members of the upper/upper-middle classes who do divorce, find themselves in a marginalized minority amongst their peers. Because nearly all of their peers remain married, the "dating pool" is very limited.
Interesting point. A good read that you would never guess is related to this topic is "The Millionaire Mind". One of the main points made by this book is that one of the key factors to success for these people was their selection of mate, personal integrity and adherence to traditional values.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 4,422,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
..."The Millionaire Mind". One of the main points made by this book is that one of the key factors to success for these people was their selection of mate, personal integrity and adherence to traditional values.
Though admittedly we're veering far off topic, I'm constantly reminded of the analogy between success in business/finances/career and success in dating/relationships. The former, I think, is easier. Why? Because that success is largely a matter of self-control and self-discipline. With relationships, two people are involved. A choice of partner might be wise at some given time. But people change, and even good choices can sour. Timeless values such as delay of gratification, patience, perseverance and so forth, might guide a novice investor in the stock market - and might trump technical knowledge such as analysis of ROIC and so forth. But they don't work as well in relationships. It's hard enough to be wise about one's own self. It's incomparably harder to be mutually wise about two selves.

And going yet further off topic, Stanley and Danko's next-door-millionaires are utterly helpless if for whatever reason they find themselves thrust back into the dating-market.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 PM

252 posts, read 246,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
And going yet further off topic, Stanley and Danko's next-door-millionaires are utterly helpless if for whatever reason they find themselves thrust back into the dating-market.
LOL - yeah.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,239 times
Default Total BS

Single moms are as desirable as all other women. It's the men who are to blame here, if they find single moms any less desirable than those without kids. Well, that's at least my point of view.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:18 AM

750 posts, read 606,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastian36 View Post
Single moms are as desirable as all other women. It's the men who are to blame here, if they find single moms any less desirable than those without kids. Well, that's at least my point of view.
You can't be serious. The financial burden and factor of taking care of kids that aren't your own is definitely at play here.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 AM

12,685 posts, read 9,451,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
When you have your "act together" and have the drama in your life under control.
Also when you look and feel your best it will show.
^^^ this ^^^

Old 02-12-2015, 07:40 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,293,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
You can't be serious. The financial burden and factor of taking care of kids that aren't your own is definitely at play here.
It might be for people who are thinking of getting married (and I can see that). But for a lot of us, we are divorced people dating other divorced people with no intention of marrying anyone (at least, I have no intention of marrying anyone). In those cases there is no "financial burden" unless you count getting the occasional birthday gift or Christmas gift as a burden (in which case I would argue that maybe you shouldn't be dating if money is that tight). Although truth be known, I have yet to even see/meet the kids of any man I dated (and vice versa) let alone start shelling out money for someone else's child.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:53 AM

366 posts, read 294,627 times
I have a different view. IF I marry someone, we become one household. Meaning 1 financial pool to take care of his/mine/our kids. If I were to marry a man with kids I would have no problem contributing to their financial upkeep and stepping into a parental/mother figure/whatever they need role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships