Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroux View Post
So, I went on a date last weekend and another date with a different guy last night. I've known both guys for a year or so through professional avenues.

I find them both attractive and while I enjoyed my dates with both of them, I literally felt nothing.

I've been single for 2 months now and am not looking for a relationship, but I might as well have been on a date with my mother. What's wrong with me?
It's normal. Why wouldn't it be? Were you expecting to hit it off with both guys? That's an unrealistic expectation. Is there a reason you don't know this? Have you been in a relationship since HS that recently broke up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I understand where you are coming from...

On the rare occasion I find someone attractive whether it's due to their appearance or personality characteristics, I try and consider if they would be suitable for a relationship. 100% of the time, I feel nothing. Most of the time I wouldn't even be able to consider them to be suitable as friend, but more of an enhanced acquaintance where sex could be mutually exchanged.
I say this with all due respect, but in your case, maybe it's you that's the issue. There might be some underlying psychological problems that are preventing you from feeling anything towards these other people since it's 100% of the time.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:37 PM

743 posts, read 831,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I understand where you are coming from...

On the rare occasion I find someone attractive whether it's due to their appearance or personality characteristics, I try and consider if they would be suitable for a relationship. 100% of the time, I feel nothing. Most of the time I wouldn't even be able to consider them to be suitable as friend, but more of an enhanced acquaintance where sex could be mutually exchanged.
Good luck with your STD/pregnancy goals of 2015. "enhanced aquaintance"? Call it what it is: a hookup

Old 01-29-2015, 03:23 PM

818 posts, read 917,040 times
OP maybe you are still hung up on your X ??

Old 01-29-2015, 03:44 PM

179 posts, read 294,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I say this with all due respect, but in your case, maybe it's you that's the issue. There might be some underlying psychological problems that are preventing you from feeling anything towards these other people since it's 100% of the time.

Cool. I better go kill myself then.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:57 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,638 times
Quote:
Are you also Anonymous725? Because that's who I was responding to there.

However, I responded twice specifically to your OP and follow up response. I indicated that A) it doesn't sound like you're ready for dating and B), the so-called "dates" you went on seem more like you were just hanging out with a couple of friends. Since neither of you were looking for anything romantic, that's usually the definition of "friends hanging out".

Before you go off killing yourself over trivial matters, try this national suicide prevention hotline out: 1 (800) 273-8255.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 PM

179 posts, read 294,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Are you also Anonymous725? Because that's who I was responding to there.

However, I responded twice specifically to your OP and follow up response. I indicated that A) it doesn't sound like you're ready for dating and B), the so-called "dates" you went on seem more like you were just hanging out with a couple of friends. Since neither of you were looking for anything romantic, that's usually the definition of "friends hanging out".

Before you go off killing yourself over trivial matters, try this national suicide prevention hotline out: 1 (800) 273-8255.

No, I'm not anon. I do apologize, I was reading quickly and didn't realize you were responding there.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
What's so hard to figure out?
  1. You've only been single for a couple months (I have no idea how long your prior relationship was)
  2. You picked work "friends" to date - probably a bad idea on both counts....
  3. You're not even looking for a relationship

So what's the rush? Wait until you're at least a little excited about going on a date. Did someone tell you that you "ought to be over" the last person or "you need to get out there"? Do what YOU want to do...or at least listen to yourself after the fact.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:

So it wasn't a match with either one.

It doesn't have to be a character flaw.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,844,712 times
Quote:
So, I went on a date last weekend and another date with a different guy last night. I've known both guys for a year or so through professional avenues.

I find them both attractive and while I enjoyed my dates with both of them, I literally felt nothing.

I've been single for 2 months now and am not looking for a relationship, but I might as well have been on a date with my mother. What's wrong with me?
Two months is a very short time. You may still be "recovering" from your last relationship, sort of in a state of numbness.

Also, just because these guys were attractive and there was familiarity there, doesn't mean that they "do it" for you. Chemistry is something that either IS or ISN'T. It's often based on very random things. Looks are only a part of it, and sometimes looks don't factor in at all.

So, don't beat yourself up over not feeling anything for these two. Rather, give yourself some time alone, to settle back into yourself, and start dating again when you find someone who really sparks your interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships