Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 01:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I sent a message to this girl on a dating site and left her my number so we can talk. So she called me but I noticed her number was blocked on the caller id and was like........."ok she probably needs to get a feel for me first before giving out her number" So we talked for the first time tonight on the phone and then after about 40 mins she was about to get ready for bed. So then I said........"Ummm can I have your contact #"

Then she went through this whole thing about how she had scary experiences with guys she met through the site and would rather meet me face to face before giving her me her number. So now I am going to sleep on this and will most likely wake up and decide I no longer have interest. I thought the purpose of talking to someone the first time on the phone was to determine if you WANT to give the guy your number.

And I don't think she understands that she is not the only woman on the site and once someone who gives me her number who looks just as good as her or better I am moving on lol Something won't allow me to meet a woman face to face if I don't have their contact number so we probably won't meet.

Any other guys come across any paranoid women like this online?
1) Nope, that is not overly paranoid. She is being safe.

For many years I did not give out out my number before meeting with someone. Then I had a first meet where I could not find the coffee shop, was about half an hour late, and tried to call him but had the wrong number. He couldn't call me to see where I was. I waited about 15 minutes, drove home and found the correct number, and texted him, but he was DONE. I felt super tacky.

So now I give out my cell number when I set a time and place for a first meet. I've been doing this long enough I can screen out the weirdos better.

2) not everyone wants to get acquainted by chatting on the phone. I don't like talking on the phone with people I DO know. I'm a little bit ADD and have a hard time staying focused. If I talk to someone I don't know, I can't see their body language and facial expressions, and to me there is no point in that. So just because she doesn't want to chat---doesn't mean she is paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 03:01 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
1) Nope, that is not overly paranoid. She is being safe.

For many years I did not give out out my number before meeting with someone. Then I had a first meet where I could not find the coffee shop, was about half an hour late, and tried to call him but had the wrong number. He couldn't call me to see where I was. I waited about 15 minutes, drove home and found the correct number, and texted him, but he was DONE. I felt super tacky.

So now I give out my cell number when I set a time and place for a first meet. I've been doing this long enough I can screen out the weirdos better.

2) not everyone wants to get acquainted by chatting on the phone. I don't like talking on the phone with people I DO know. I'm a little bit ADD and have a hard time staying focused. If I talk to someone I don't know, I can't see their body language and facial expressions, and to me there is no point in that. So just because she doesn't want to chat---doesn't mean she is paranoid.

Well for a shy guy like me talking on the phone is mandatory instead of meeting someone in public without developing any kind of rapport.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Well for a shy guy like me talking on the phone is mandatory instead of meeting someone in public without developing any kind of rapport.
So, it's okay for you to have rules that make sense to you but not for other people to have rules that make sense to them?

Old 02-02-2015, 03:06 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Quote:
Of course not, I am seeking new female friends
Huge red flag. That screams "I'm looking for a F Buddy!" Why do you care if your friends are male or female, and why would you go to an online dating site to find a friend?

Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
What are you afraid of, OP? She's just a girl, not the big bad wolf.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Jesus. Just freaking go talk to a person IRL. Talking too much, more than once, on the phone before meeting with OLD is a bad idea. It creates expectations and false intimacy, and it doesn't indicate RL chemistry as all.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
So, it's okay for you to have rules that make sense to you but not for other people to have rules that make sense to them?
The norm for 99% of women on dating sites when talking to a guy has always consisted of 3 stages

1. Stage 1......exchanges messages online

2. Stage 2.......talking on the phone

3. Stage 3.........Meeting face to face

So that girl wanted to leap frog stage 2 and that's not the norm because when meeting someone face to face you want to be able to text to let them know where you are in the area. Plus it avoids getting stood up which is something most people want to avoid when trying to meet someone.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
The norm for 99% of women on dating sites when talking to a guy has always consisted of 3 stages

So that girl wanted to leap frog stage 2 and that's not the norm because when meeting someone face to face you want to be able to text to let them know where you are in the area. Plus it avoids getting stood up which is something most people want to avoid when trying to meet someone.
And for all you know she's a person who dislikes talking on the phone and you missed getting to know a wonderful woman...but hey....it's her fault anyway.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:

When/if you ever re-read what you write does it never occur to you that just maybe perhaps you're the one with the problem? Your "norm" is not the norm. Your "norm" is fashioned from a bizarre and convoluted set of rules which are all about you and with not a shred of regard for the other person. Utterly selfish to the nth degree. It's no wonder at all that you have such a hard time getting to a first date and never get to a second ... and so the saga continues, year after year after year.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:49 PM

619 posts, read 652,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Going to a dating site to find good-looking friends is pretty silly.
That's like allowing only the ridiculously good looking to be your friends on CD....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships