Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

I guess there's a reason for certain things and how people show their affection, like buy each other birthday presents and Christmas presents, call each other "babe", "hon", PDA, etc. Do we do these things because it's expected since that's what we see from society all the time? Are you the type of person who automatically feels like it's wrong to not do those things? How do you deal with it when you're with someone and you both really like each other but their expectations are different from yours? What are your expectations when you're with someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
See if it truly bothers me, if not I can deal.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,288,251 times
I've never been with someone, who had high expectations for birthday/christmas presents. If someone sets expectations at a level that you aren't comfortable with, then don't comply. If it's something that you can do, and find yourself wanting to, then do it. Relationships are tough enough, no need to worry about petty things.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM

20 posts, read 17,512 times
This seems like a strange question. From my past relationships, it's a fluid thing and changes over time. If your expectations differ over minor things, that can be fun. If they differ over major things, it can be a deal-breaker. It all depends!

Old 02-03-2015, 10:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I guess there's a reason for certain things and how people show their affection, like buy each other birthday presents and Christmas presents, call each other "babe", "hon", PDA, etc. Do we do these things because it's expected since that's what we see from society all the time? Are you the type of person who automatically feels like it's wrong to not do those things? How do you deal with it when you're with someone and you both really like each other but their expectations are different from yours? What are your expectations when you're with someone?
I don't have expectations. At least not the kind that if they are not met then the relationship is not real.

[do what is natural and let it develop organically]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships