U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 PM

321 posts, read 269,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
1. They did have not pics that show their face well
This I can sort of understand, due to privacy concerns. Not everyone wants to be able to be easily identified by anyone in their vicinity using an app. Of course, if someone is too sketchy about maintaining privacy you have to consider that they might be hiding from their spouse or SO, but there are other reasons for privacy as well.

Quote:
2. shirtless pics
It's so funny to me that some guys do this on dating profiles. Maybe they think, "Well, I like seeing women in their bikinis, so I bet they like seeing me shirtless!" Or maybe they spend a major portion of their lives at the gym in the hopes that it translates to attracting more or better women, and they feel the need to prove this.

I did see a study from OKC a few years ago showing that shirtless pics did help some guys (presumably the ones who look good with their shirts off) with women under 30, but not with women over 30. So, maybe these guys know their target demo-- particularly on Tinder, which by its very format encourages the superficial/visual over everything else. Perhaps it attracts more people who are just looking for hot bodies, regardless of gender, than sites with more substantial profiles.

Quote:
3. too many group pics
Woman do a lot of this on dating sites. I don't mind a couple of group pics to show that she actually has friends, but I've seen a lot of profiles where literally all of the pictures are group pics, and she doesn't label which one is her. That means I have to try to figure out the common denominator between all the pics, and sometimes there is more than one (if the pics are all with the same "bestie," for example), and by then I've grown frustrated and given up.

Also, I will say: If you're the least attractive woman in the picture, don't use that picture. It may be sad, or unfair, but it's our natural instinct when we see a group of women that our eyes are drawn to the more attractive ones, and in a split second we think, "Ooh, I hope it's that one!" We can't help it. That means if you're a 7 standing with a group of 9's we're going to be disappointed, but if you're a 7 standing with a group of 5's we're going to be excited. That's just how the brain works.

Quote:
5. creepy pics
I'm curious, what makes a pic creepy? Maybe he's just a creepy dude, and his pics are an accurate reflection.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,145,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
This I can sort of understand, due to privacy concerns. Not everyone wants to be able to be easily identified by anyone in their vicinity using an app. Of course, if someone is too sketchy about maintaining privacy you have to consider that they might be hiding from their spouse or SO, but there are other reasons for privacy as well.

It's so funny to me that some guys do this on dating profiles. Maybe they think, "Well, I like seeing women in their bikinis, so I bet they like seeing me shirtless!" Or maybe they spend a major portion of their lives at the gym in the hopes that it translates to attracting more or better women, and they feel the need to prove this.

I did see a study from OKC a few years ago showing that shirtless pics did help some guys (presumably the ones who look good with their shirts off) with women under 30, but not with women over 30. So, maybe these guys know their target demo-- particularly on Tinder, which by its very format encourages the superficial/visual over everything else. Perhaps it attracts more people who are just looking for hot bodies, regardless of gender, than sites with more substantial profiles.

Woman do a lot of this on dating sites. I don't mind a couple of group pics to show that she actually has friends, but I've seen a lot of profiles where literally all of the pictures are group pics, and she doesn't label which one is her. That means I have to try to figure out the common denominator between all the pics, and sometimes there is more than one (if the pics are all with the same "bestie," for example), and by then I've grown frustrated and given up.

Also, I will say: If you're the least attractive woman in the picture, don't use that picture. It may be sad, or unfair, but it's our natural instinct when we see a group of women that our eyes are drawn to the more attractive ones, and in a split second we think, "Ooh, I hope it's that one!" We can't help it. That means if you're a 7 standing with a group of 9's we're going to be disappointed, but if you're a 7 standing with a group of 5's we're going to be excited. That's just how the brain works.

I'm curious, what makes a pic creepy? Maybe he's just a creepy dude, and his pics are an accurate reflection.
1. Then the person should not go on Old if they are worried their safety or they are taken
2. I believe modest dressing
3.I know women do it too
5. They look like they are going murder you or their pics look like mugs shots

Old 02-10-2015, 06:43 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 48,447,759 times
Quote:
Yea another problem I had guy had bad pics
1. They did have not pics that show their face well
2. shirtless pics
3. too many group pics
4.too dark pics
5. creepy pics
Yup sometimes it can just be a bad picture and you have to start the rotation process.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:54 PM

321 posts, read 269,122 times
Quote:
1. Then the person should not go on Old if they are worried their safety or they are taken
2. I believe modest dressing
3.I know women do it too
5. They look like they are going murder you or their pics look like mugs shots
Wow, thanks for such a detailed, thoughtful response.

I was agreeing with much of what you're saying. I wasn't telling you about women doing it because I didn't think you knew. I was just sharing my experience to contribute to the topic, and my experience involves dating women, so that's all I can share.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
Wow, thanks for such a detailed, thoughtful response.

I was agreeing with much of what you're saying. I wasn't telling you about women doing it because I didn't think you knew. I was just sharing my experience to contribute to the topic, and my experience involves dating women, so that's all I can share.
No problem!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Yup sometimes it can just be a bad picture and you have to start the rotation process.
I am okay with one bad picture but bunch of them are not.
1-2 pics on your profile are not either okay

Old 02-13-2015, 01:14 AM

5,244 posts, read 3,404,534 times
From what I've read the shirtless pics are more successful in guys getting hookups. Women, while not as visual as men - are still visual. I've always interpreted the shirtless pic as saying "my primary goal is one night stand / fwb and I'm good looking, choose me!"

Like I said, I think it works.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:34 AM

2,827 posts, read 3,057,661 times
Went out for dessert with a girl I met on Tinder last night. Went good and we want to hang out again.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 AM

13,238 posts, read 11,784,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Went out for dessert with a girl I met on Tinder last night. Went good and we want to hang out again.
Is "dessert" a euphemism for a hookup since some people here insist that's all Tinder is for?

Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 AM

2,827 posts, read 3,057,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Is "dessert" a euphemism for a hookup since some people here insist that's all Tinder is for?
No, it's exactly what it sounds like. No hookup was involved, lol. We were both bored and ended up meeting somewhere to hang out. Well, she was bored. I was going to read.

She paid for her half also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships