Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Of course many do but many others are too busy with work and life.

Just like everyone else. The pool is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,609 times
Online dating and facebook have created an artificial scenario in which women get far more attention than they deserve. It increases their self perceived value in the sexual marketplace.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matforn View Post
Online dating and facebook have created an artificial scenario in which women get far more attention than they deserve. It increases their self perceived value in the sexual marketplace.

Always funny to see the bitter, clueless guys who only see things from their distorted view of how much better women have it and fail to realize that the same things that make things better for women also make it better for the guys.

Makes me wonder, did the cluelessness cause the lack of success or did the bitterness cause it. Probably both.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:42 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Men paying "too much" attention to women is pretty much caused by men paying too much attention to women. "Men" is the subject of this sentence, "paying" the predicate, so men are doing the action.

I'm not just being a grammarian. Men do try too hard and too indiscriminately, which leads to low quality efforts which don't really make women feel all that special (c'mon guys) and still mess things up for men who are being somewhat focused. Everybody loses.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 PM

641 posts, read 405,546 times
OLD is an extreme version of the dating world or like the bar scene. 20% of men get 80% of the women and the women can't get the commitment they want from them and complain that they're being used because those men have so many options. Most men are invisible on there and get nowhere.

It works best for women who want attention and easy access to dates and the top men who don't need to use OLD anyway.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:11 AM

914 posts, read 737,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
OLD is an extreme version of the dating world or like the bar scene. 20% of men get 80% of the women and the women can't get the commitment they want from them and complain that they're being used because those men have so many options. Most men are invisible on there and get nowhere.
I am genuinely curious where this 20%/80% claim comes from, as I keep reading it on CD. Is there a study?

Whenever I read about this "20% of men get 80% of women" thing, I have to think of a study conducted by OKCupid, on attractiveness and message patterns.

It found that women rate 80% of men below average on attractiveness. However, women still message with below average-looking guys anyway.
Men seem to be a more generous when it comes to rating women's attractiveness - it follows more of a bell curve. However, when it comes to actual messaging, 2/3 of male messages are going to the top 1/3 of women.
Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends

Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 AM

854 posts, read 585,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
I am genuinely curious where this 20%/80% claim comes from, as I keep reading it on CD. Is there a study?

Whenever I read about this "20% of men get 80% of women" thing, I have to think of a study conducted by OKCupid, on attractiveness and message patterns.

It found that women rate 80% of men below average on attractiveness. However, women still message with below average-looking guys anyway.
Men seem to be a more generous when it comes to rating women's attractiveness - it follows more of a bell curve. However, when it comes to actual messaging, 2/3 of male messages are going to the top 1/3 of women.
Your Looks and Your Inbox « OkTrends

Yep, the whole "hypergamy" thing is clearly projection. Men are far more "hypergamous" than women are. That's why it bothers some men so much that the "top 20%" of men are getting the corresponding top 20% (in looks) of women - because those are the only women they are paying any attention to.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:26 AM

641 posts, read 405,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
There's that, but even more significantly for my female friends are the guys with absolutely poor dating etiquette. There seem to be a lot of guys who are just very bad at dating. And some of them are straight up weirdos. One guy who my friend dated came over with painted toe nails, and then proceeded to criticize HER about having a viewpoint about pre-defined gender roles even though she really didn't say anything good or bad about them. This was on a 2nd date. Who the hell does this stuff? Another guy just wanted to sit around and talk about sex with her. He also would bite her profusely and somewhat roughly during make out sessions. Another guy who dated my other friend went off on a political rant and then got upset with her and wanted her to pay him back for the date.

It seems to me that women tend to get bombarded by a bunch of weirdos and old fat guys, whereas men probably get more of the "Mama Junes" as you put it. I can at least say that I've never dated anyone as obnoxious as the men above.
Not saying it's always the case by any means, but a lot of men are brought up by single mothers now and it doesn't prepare them for women and dating. They lack a strong father figure who can advise them properly.

Mothers advise daughters what to do, fathers advise sons what to do. Without the strong father figure guys are clueless if it doesn't come naturally.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:16 AM

24 posts, read 14,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
Yep, the whole "hypergamy" thing is clearly projection. Men are far more "hypergamous" than women are. That's why it bothers some men so much that the "top 20%" of men are getting the corresponding top 20% (in looks) of women - because those are the only women they are paying any attention to.
No the top 20% of men are getting 80% of the women. That's why STDs are more common among women, because they're sharing the same small pool of men.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matforn View Post
What if we women actually DO have value?

I know, crazy, baffling and subversive. But just humor me. What if?

I hear so much on here about how women shouldn't think we're wonderful, valuable, deserving and so on. I wonder why the possibility that we ARE those things, and not just walking boobs that deliver sex, do dishes and add a second income is simply not entertained by some individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships