U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:19 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,709,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Once again, apples and oranges. A woman wanting equal pay for the SAME JOB doesn't have anything to do with how she wants to conduct her romantic life. I suggest you ask all your dates how much they make, ask them if they want equal pay for the same job, and then give them a chart showing them how much of the date they have to pay based on their income. Because dates are all about how women want to be treated by the government and now how two people are compatible together.
This statement does not make any logical sense. I can't explain it to you any simpler than I already have though.

Women were taken care of in the past because they did not have the same opportunities as men. But now, they're working towards closing that gap and they still expect that they should be taken care of.

I can't expect to collect welfare after I win the lottery. That's what some women seem to want though.

Anyway, this is veering away from the OP. This will be my last post on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Doesn't make sense to me. One is purely a social convention. The other is a matter of legal rights. Two completely different arenas and fundamentally different issues. There are some issues where they (the social and legal) intersect (aka civil marriage), but dating is not one of them.
It's a social convention that existed because women were far more dependent in the past. They didn't work as much. They were homemakers. So it makes sense that men took care of them. That was their role in society. Those standards are changing though as women close the gap in terms of opportunity equality.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM

21,199 posts, read 20,108,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
This statement does not make any logical sense. I can't explain it to you any simpler than I already have though.

Women were taken care of in the past because they did not have the same opportunities as men. But now, they're working towards closing that gap and they still expect that they should be taken care of.

I can't expect to collect welfare after I win the lottery. That's what some women seem to want though.

Anyway, this is veering away from the OP. This will be my last post on this matter.
If you have a beef with a few women being spoiled - that's fine. But it is about them being spoiled. Wanting equal rights and equal pay but still wanting to feel special and like a woman in your dating life isn't a double standard. I mean, I think people should get the same pay for the same job regardless of their gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc. - that doesn't mean that I think that people want to be seen as genderless, religionless, orientation-less in their dating life. Wanting a man to shower her with gifts while she gives nothing in return doesn't have anything to do with wanting equal rights. The fact that you are making a spoiled issue into an equal rights issue is what I find so baffling and frankly, a bit repellent.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
The fact that you are making a spoiled issue into an equal rights issue is what I find so baffling and frankly, a bit repellent.
Because it's an example of a double-standard. I find double-standards repellent.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Because it's an example of a double-standard. I find double-standards repellent.
For it to be a double standard, it would have to be concerning the same issue or arena in society. This isn't.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
For it to be a double standard, it would have to be concerning the same issue or arena in society. This isn't.
That's how I see it as well.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
That's fine if you want to think this.

All I've maintained throughout this discussion is that I'm opposed to people thinking they are entitled to things they have not earned. If you're a woman who thinks a man should take care of you because you're a woman, I don't agree with that.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
That's fine if you want to think this.

All I've maintained throughout this discussion is that I'm opposed to people thinking they are entitled to things they have not earned. If you're a woman who thinks a man should take care of you because you're a woman, I don't agree with that.
Dating isn't about "earning." If you are dating a woman that wants to be taken care of financially - then she is not the woman for you simply because you don't want to take care of a woman financially. That's enough. End of story. Bringing equal rights and equal pay into the conversation just makes it sound like you have a huge chip on your shoulder that women want equal rights and equal pay.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM

245 posts, read 162,321 times
Get used to double standards... life is full of them, lol. You have obviously not lived much or have lived a sheltered life

Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM

21,464 posts, read 22,698,975 times
Quote:
If you're a woman who thinks a man should take care of you because you're a woman, I don't agree with that.
But in a dating context, everyone wants to feel like they're special to the one they're with. So it's not so much about a man taking care of a woman because she's a woman, it's a guy wanting to show the woman with whom he's on a date that he thinks she's awesome. And she'll be doing things to show him her appreciation, as well.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-11-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or