Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I had asked him out.
Then YOU should pay for BOTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM

186 posts, read 238,642 times
I prefer 50/50 no matter what. There are guys that ask you then wait for you to pay which is like why ask me if you can't pay. If I ask then I'm assuming I'm paying. So I always make sure I have enough for both.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
Bring enough money to cover you both. If you invited him out, you should pay or go Dutch, but if he insists on paying let him.
This. Be prepared to pay for everything. Insist on paying for the movie, if he offers. When the check comes at dinner, offer to pay. He may be uncomfortable with that. If he offers to pay, you can say you've got your part of it covered. See what happens next. Play it by ear.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
People make dating so difficult these days, especially when it comes to who pays and where to go

If you asked a person out, you should expect to pay. And when setting up the date (via phone or whatever) make it clear that you're paying for it, or agree on going dutch, so there's no confusion when the tab arrives.

Pretty simple stuff
Yep. I can not believe so many grown adults find this concept difficult.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:03 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I had asked him out.

Then you pay, unless he offers.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 PM

621 posts, read 1,032,890 times
The date him and I had today went over well. We hung out for 4 hours, he paid for our lunch, and we each paid for our own movie tickets, and both enjoyed the movie.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:32 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
My policy is to always offer no matter who invited who or how the date is going. The tab comes and I reach for my wallet and offer to split the check. I've been on a lot of first dates and I've never had the guy accept my offer to split the check, but I'm sure most of them appreciate the offer. I think it's rude for either party to sit there and assume the other person is going to pay for them.
It's nice to have the intention to contribute to the expenses and therefore offer to pay so what if the guy accepts your offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
The one who asks out, pays. That the rule on my book. However it will a nice gesture if you contribute, for example at the movies, you pay for the popcorn, the sodas and whatever it is at the counter, that way he feels you are helping him a bit.

We men love when a woman contributes, even if we ask out, that the way of saying you aren't selfish.
This. It says a lot to me when a woman contributes. Doesn't have to be the EXACT amount of what I paid for whatever. It's her way of telling me she's not selfish, having a good time with me, also wants to show me a nice gesture, etc. Same thing when I have been asked out while living in Japan. I want to be there as much as the girl who asked me out so why not show a nice gesture from my part regardless of me being the one asked out?

Old 02-07-2015, 01:44 PM

34 posts, read 38,829 times
Men should always pay, period.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:05 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
This. It says a lot to me when a woman contributes. Doesn't have to be the EXACT amount of what I paid for whatever. It's her way of telling me she's not selfish, having a good time with me, also wants to show me a nice gesture, etc. Same thing when I have been asked out while living in Japan. I want to be there as much as the girl who asked me out so why not show a nice gesture from my part regardless of me being the one asked out?
Hmm...I'm a woman, 55... back in my heyday (my 20's), if I paid for my share of a date, it was because I decided I really didn't want a second date, and the the guy figured that by my offer. So, no hard feelings or problems with the guy "expecting" something in return.

Times have changed. Glad I read this thread. Have begun dating again and will start offering to cover something when a man asks me out.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:38 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Hmm...I'm a woman, 55... back in my heyday (my 20's), if I paid for my share of a date, it was because I decided I really didn't want a second date, and the the guy figured that by my offer. So, no hard feelings or problems with the guy "expecting" something in return.
Times have changed. Glad I read this thread. Have begun dating again and will start offering to cover something when a man asks me out.
Good for you that you will have the decency and courtesy to offer. Even better if you mean it instead of just a “I tried.”

What I find interesting is how many women will say that if a guy dares himself to not pay for all of a woman’s expenses then he will be seen as a friend. Well guess what, that’s great! You can’t see a guy you are barely dating as a husband, provider, daddy, etc. He’s just a friend and that’s how relationships start. So treat him like a friend and pay for your expenses, share expenses, or take turns right off the bat. He’s your friend after all, no pressure. If things go farther and a relationship blossoms then it will be easier for women to continue doing that as they will care for the guy more than before and continue to not see the guy as an ATM but as their loving guy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships