Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 06:20 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
And some women will. I've already said that I've paid for dates before, but I will not pay for the entire first date because I have no interest in breaking that tradition.
The only time I'm going to accept money on a first date from a girl who I asked out is if I think she's boring or unpleasant. If she doesn't offer any money, then she just won't be hearing from me again and that's the way it'll end.

And this is why I'd always advocate a very cheap first date. Ice cream, coffee, a few drinks perhaps. Nothing over $20 for the entire date, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
The only time I'm going to accept money on a first date from a girl who I asked out is if I think she's boring or unpleasant. If she doesn't offer any money, then she just won't be hearing from me again and that's the way it'll end.

And this is why I'd always advocate a very cheap first date. Ice cream, coffee, a few drinks perhaps. Nothing over $20 for the entire date, that's for sure.
I don't see a problem with this. I don't even know what you guys are talking about when you mention "fancy dates" because I've never been on one. A casual, non-extravagant date shouldn't be a big deal to pay for. Heck, I take my mom out to eat every weekend and I always pay and it's really not difficult at all.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 PM

321 posts, read 372,057 times
Quote:
And some women will. I've already said that I've paid for dates before, but I will not pay for the entire first date because I have no interest in breaking that tradition.
Fair enough. I was just clarifying that you are, in fact, saying the person with the penis should pay. There's nothing wrong with sticking with that if it's working for you, but let's not deny what it is.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UC18 View Post
Fair enough. I was just clarifying that you are, in fact, saying the person with the penis should pay. There's nothing wrong with sticking with that if it's working for you, but let's not deny what it is.
I'm not saying he should. I'm saying my belief is that if he liked me enough, he would. I don't think most men here are disputing that.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying he should. I'm saying my belief is that if he liked me enough, he would.
If you don't see the contradiction in that statement, i don't know what else to tell you.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I don't see a problem with this. I don't even know what you guys are talking about when you mention "fancy dates" because I've never been on one. A casual, non-extravagant date shouldn't be a big deal to pay for. Heck, I take my mom out to eat every weekend and I always pay and it's really not difficult at all.
I, for one, have made the mistake of paying way too much on a first date. But that was my fault for allowing it to happen. Fancy dates don't happen until well after we've gotten to know each other. One of the "fanciest" dates I've had for my most recent romantic interest was a nice salmon dinner at my place, with wine and cocktails for later.

For a first date, I'd propose a walk in the park with ice cream or coffee, a free museum day in town, happy hour drinks, etc. That way you can focus on the real importance: talking and getting to know the person. Money spent should not be a concern at all on a first date.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
If you don't see the contradiction in that statement, i don't know what else to tell you.
I'm sure if she actually met someone who she thought was great, she wouldn't care either way who paid. But from what I gather from her post history, she hasn't really had much luck with dating. I could be wrong though, but that is what I've gathered.

If all you've been exposed to are a bunch of frogs, of course you're going to have this sort of mentality. However, if you met someone who blew your socks off, do you really think you're going to pass on them because of something so trivial, especially considering what you've had to go through to get to that point? I doubt it.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Would and should don't mean the same thing.

Quote:
I'm sure if she actually met someone who she thought was great, she wouldn't care either way who paid. But from what I gather from her post history, she hasn't really had much luck with dating. I could be wrong though, but that is what I've gathered.
I've been on lots of first dates. Sometimes the guys paid and sometimes we split. I never decided not to see anyone again based on the fact that he didn't pay for the date, but I probably thought to myself that he wasn't that interested in me (which was probably true).

Quote:
If all you've been exposed to are a bunch of frogs, of course you're going to have this sort of mentality. However, if you met someone who blew your socks off, do you really think you're going to pass on them because of something so trivial, especially considering what you've had to go through to get to that point? I doubt it.
Yet you'd be willing to pass on a great girl because she doesn't pull out any money on a first date?

Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sure if she actually met someone who she thought was great, she wouldn't care either way who paid. But from what I gather from her post history, she hasn't really had much luck with dating.
Interesting. That's why I clarified that there is nothing wrong with her stance if it's working for her.

If what she's doing isn't working for her, then it's time to try a different approach. This goes for anyone in dating, or in any life endeavor, really.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Interesting. That's why I clarified that there is nothing wrong with her stance if it's working for her.

If what she's doing isn't working for her, then it's time to try a different approach. This goes for anyone in dating, or in any life endeavor, really.
Regardless of how many failed first dates I have, I'm not going to start offering to pay for more than my half of the date. Men aren't going to think "Oh that's cool she paid for me. I have to ask her out again!" They're going to take out the woman that they actually like and pay for the date. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships