U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:15 AM

621 posts, read 794,577 times

Advertisements

I've gone on first dates like anyone else, some where the guy paid a good portion of the time while others they didn't pay or we went half and half.

Its been a month since I've been on a date so I am wondering tomorrow is a movie, walk around, and dinner, should I pay for 1 of these or just wait and see if this guy pays for everything or what to do?

What is the proper and right thing to do in today's world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 AM

10,026 posts, read 8,869,914 times
Did he ask you out of did you? If you asked out you should expect to pay, though I find this doesn't happen too often. They usually insist on paying. Then again I've had guys ask me out and expect me to pay for them which I thought was tacky. I don't think there is a set rule anymore. I always take enough to pay for myself (and him if I asked him).

Old 02-04-2015, 01:38 AM

621 posts, read 794,577 times
I had asked him out.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:22 AM

13,606 posts, read 11,087,868 times
People make dating so difficult these days, especially when it comes to who pays and where to go

If you asked a person out, you should expect to pay. And when setting up the date (via phone or whatever) make it clear that you're paying for it, or agree on going dutch, so there's no confusion when the tab arrives.

Pretty simple stuff

Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 AM

2,146 posts, read 1,111,432 times
The mannerly thing to do is to treat someone on the date that you invited him on.

Manners are not as important to some people as they are to others. Hopefully, you'll both share the same line of thinking on the subject and wil have a great date. Enjoy!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 AM

9,871 posts, read 8,028,136 times
Real men always pay...everything, until you are dissatisfied with the product quality. Remember, you always get what you paid for.

Of course, there's no reason why this shouldn't apply to women as well.

Equality is too ambiguous.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:53 AM

1,287 posts, read 891,266 times
Whoever asked the person out, should assume they are paying. If it's a woman, the guy may or may not offer to pay the bill. I don't feel comfortable letting a female pay for a date, unless we are in an exclusive relationship, and it's for my birthday or similar. If I am going out to a restaurant, I am going to order what I want, if someone else is paying, I end up compromising my meal, by ordering the least expensive item. I have worked too hard to get to where I am, to eat something I don't want, I prevent that by paying for all dates.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:00 AM

12 posts, read 7,711 times
I dont mind paying normally but in my culture normally the women expect the guy to pay everyhing for them !! I would rather pay the bill and feel quite happy and relaxed with no hard feelings when the bill comes over and the girls show ATLEAST signs or willing to pay and I would just persuade her to just leave the bill on me. I feel the lady has shown some respect or does have a sense of understanding unlike other females who think ur a bloody gold mine of some sort !!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:08 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
I've gone on first dates like anyone else, some where the guy paid a good portion of the time while others they didn't pay or we went half and half.

Its been a month since I've been on a date so I am wondering tomorrow is a movie, walk around, and dinner, should I pay for 1 of these or just wait and see if this guy pays for everything or what to do?

What is the proper and right thing to do in today's world?
The one who asks out, pays. That the rule on my book. However it will a nice gesture if you contribute, for example at the movies, you pay for the popcorn, the sodas and whatever it is at the counter, that way he feels you are helping him a bit.

We men love when a woman contributes, even if we ask out, that the way of saying you aren't selfish.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:02 AM

366 posts, read 294,899 times
Bring enough money to cover you both. If you invited him out, you should pay or go Dutch, but if he insists on paying let him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or