U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:14 AM

4,549 posts, read 3,504,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
They can't smell themselves anymore. Some people never learn correct hygiene.

I don't mind a little work out sweat, but if it is old sweat...yuck!

Bad breath is less bad, because sometimes people just ate something smelly. Once they brush their teeth and floss the issue goes away.
Yeah, you would think someone may have told them at some point. But who knows. If people are on the heavy side, then it's possible they need extra work to maintain hygiene. The ones I note with bad smell tend to be overweight. But one skinny guy I knew smelled bad. So anyone can have the problem if they don't care enough.

Bad breath is tricky. As you mentioned, food plays a role. Or not talking for a long time, then it's like your mouth gets clammy.So I could make a pass for that one time, but if breath continues to smell bad, they're either not taking care of their oral hygiene, or have some issues that's leading to the odor. Neither of which is desirable for kissing. So, I could write it off as a fluke for a first meet. if it stinks next time we're out, something is up.

Last edited by HappyRain; 02-05-2015 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-05-2015, 07:53 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,472,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
...Smelly Man or SM for short. ... She gets closer and realized he smelled... Bad BO, bad breath and his shirt was stained with sweat. ...take a shower and wear fresh clothes.
Too bad friend was not kinky, because this guy sounds like "Mr. BDSM" (Bath-deficient smelly man)

Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 AM

3,023 posts, read 1,989,051 times
This is why I not only bathe frequently, but use deodorant! And by all means, wash my clothes even after just one wear! There is a system - shower (plenty of soap and water), deodorant, body spray. And clean clothes, not something I slept in. I hate body odor, unless I've been working out or other physical activity.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,288,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
(YAZ coming back from the restroom after eating brocoli and stuffing the floss back in his pocket)................"What'd I miss?"

Y'all are kinda young so you wouldn't remember the personal ads in the newspaper. Heck, we couldn't even put up a picture of ourselves much less than an old one back then.....

We baby boomers were an adventurous bunch...
Do you like Pina Colas?

I don't remember personal ads, but I love the song.

As for the topic, smell can be a deal breaker for me. I tend not to be a very visual person (in general... I think it's because until I was in high school, no one noticed I had horrible vision. I think what threw everyone is that poor grades is usually a sign, but I was an honor student with great grades. I didn't need to see the front of the class because I pictured everything in my head. It was only when I got to 9th grade Algebra that I couldn't do that anymore and my terrible eyesight stood out. Until I got glasses, to me, the world looked a whole lot like a Monet painting).

Anyway, the point is, I made up for lack of sight with good hearing and a very good sense of smell. Everyone has a unique smell (no matter how much they wash or try to hide it). If a man doesn't smell appealing to me, I just can't get into him. And powerfully smelling people overwhelm me. But some men just smell good (and I mean their natural scent, it's not cologne... put that in the over powering smell category).

Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 AM

366 posts, read 294,371 times
I like it when people smell like people. Like, cologne/perfume/soap scents offend me. People shouldn't smell like vanilla. Of course they also shouldn't smell like butt.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:20 AM

20,071 posts, read 13,751,682 times
I love how the guy (SM) turned it around to be his date's problem. IMO, the guy should have apologized profusely and asked for a second chance to make a good impression. Then HE should have worked on improving those areas which were pointed out to him. It's doubtful he would have been given that second chance by that gal, but he would have improved his future chances with other women.

The reality is that the majority of human beings won't/don't appreciate strong/bad smells. Most of us are hard wired that way. If you are stinky and don't wish to change, then find your stinky counterpart and spare the rest.

Sadly, in this world of any thing, way, look, smell, attitude, thought process goes, he will probably just stay in the blame game and land of denial.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 AM

38,756 posts, read 37,929,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You would be surprised at how many adult males have bad hygiene like 12 year old boys
I had a co-worker one time that was just awful. He just stunk all the time, had dirty fingernails wore the same clothes 3 or more days without washing them.... I didn't get it.

He did strike me as a good old boy redneck, but I can't say all good old boy rednecks I've met have ever stunk like this kid did.

We'd go to lunch together and he's chew with his mouth open making obnoxious smacking noises, I got to the point that I didn't look at him during lunch, he was so horrendous.

He walked past me a couple of times and I almost gagged. I wrestled with saying something to him, but it's not like I was his supervisor or his daddy or even his friend for that matter just a coworker. It was just awkward as ass being around him and not saying something.

He used to tell tall tales about all the girls he'd been meeting and how he's got so and so on the hook... I was like right... whatever...

Thankfully he decided to get go back home and he quit after only working for us for about a year.

This kid was around 25 or so, surely he'd been informed of his smelliness at some point. He was in the navy and they are pretty good about making sure they keep guys regimented about things like that, so I'm wondering where the smelly-ness came about.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:25 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,074,011 times
Sounds disgusting and terrifying at the same time.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:29 AM

10,026 posts, read 8,858,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Oh well.

Probably. I know one guy knew he did. Guy I went to school with, and one of our teachers came to our class to tell us, she didn't know who it was, but someone needed to take a good bath because they stank. Everyone knew who it was, and his cousin told him he stank, and he replied "I know." Guy named Allen. But everyone called him "Big Al."

Then another,, went to school with this one as well, who smelled really badly, worse than the former. Many people in class laughed about how bad he smelled, so not like he wasn't told he stunk, but again, he didn't care, since he continued to smell that way.

So some don't care really, unless it's an issue they need extra help for, like some who sweat more than others, and a strong deodorant may be needed or an issue that may warrant a professional's help. So really no excuse to smell horribly other than indifference.

I couldn't date anyone who constantly stank, and doesn't care to be clean a 1st meeting. I probably would have suffered through the meet to be cordial. I need to work on that lol
I was reminded of a guy I knew years ago. He was obese but he never bathed or changed clothes. He couldn't figure out why I wouldn't date him. He was the one I mentioned who was 40, lived with his parents, was unemployed yet wanted a woman around 25 who was in shape. He died alone having never married.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 AM

13,492 posts, read 11,034,499 times
What a thread, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or