Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 01:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,419,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I think you should be more honest with yourself. All living things have the instinct to reproduce. You are alive therefore you have that instinct. One expression of that instinct is the desire to have sex. Your body causes you to have that desire because, as a living thing, it would like to reproduce.
That seems really mental and extremely fallacical. Living beings also have the natural urge for pleasure, which sex provides. People don't masturbate because they secretly want to reproduce. They masturbate because it feels good. Same with sex.

Many people find the idea of reproducing genuinely repulsive. It's really annoying to have people constantly tell us that we don't really feel that way. Hey, maybe it's you who doesn't actually feel the way you feel, ever think of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 01:45 PM

22,237 posts, read 29,276,194 times
I'm child free and was very desired when I was single. I don't have an ex to deal with and my life is spontaneous. I don't have to answer to anyone..

Old 02-21-2015, 02:43 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,056,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
That seems really mental and extremely fallacical.
Actually part of the common accepted definition of life is that it reproduces. It's a fundamental aspect of all life on Earth including man. You know, "the birds and the bees" and all that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriam-webster defintion of life
an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction
Life - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Online Introduction to Biology - The Basics - Defining Life

Life (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Anyway I definitely couldn't be with someone who says no one should reproduce because there are too many people or whatever. If you don't think you would be a good parent or never found the right circumstances to have kids, like me, that's different. The key is, the person has to agree the people who would be good parents should reproduce, and that humanity should remain in existence to carry on the stewardship of the Earth. Anyone who supports antinatalism to any extent...we just couldn't be together, even if I felt romantically drawn to them.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:22 PM

8,916 posts, read 6,213,310 times
Quote:
The key is, the person has to agree the people who would be good parents should reproduce, and that humanity should remain in existence to carry on the stewardship of the Earth.
So how many people are required to provide stewardship to all life on earth? I would think less is more because larger populations tend to create problems of their own that would distract people from their stewardship responsibilities. A rural farmer usually takes better care of larger mammalian animals (horses, cows, etc.) than urban people ever could.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
So how many people are required to provide stewardship to all life on earth?
The human race has to be perpetuated. That is the important idea. Thus people have to keep having kids.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:37 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Quote:
The human race has to be perpetuated. That is the important idea. Thus people have to keep having kids.
Do you have any clue how many people in the world are having babies..... there's no fear of the human race dying out... trust me on this... I've been reading your drivel here for a few pages and to say you're delusional about this subject would be an understatement.

if anything you should worry about 1st world populations from under producing, the third world nations are making up for it in leaps and bounds.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,875,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm child free and was very desired when I was single. I don't have an ex to deal with and my life is spontaneous. I don't have to answer to anyone..
This, only many people without kids are also desired by people with kids and don't get when they aren't desired back.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Do you have any clue how many people in the world are having babies..... there's no fear of the human race dying out... trust me on this... I've been reading your drivel here for a few pages and to say you're delusional about this subject would be an understatement.
People have been having a lot of babies since the dawn of man. The planet isn't overpoulated. We're just not using available resources efficiently enough.

Being against people having babies is sick and wrong.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,617,653 times
Quote:
People have been having a lot of babies since the dawn of man. The planet isn't overpoulated. We're just not using available resources efficiently enough.

No, denying that the world is overpopulated is sick and wrong. Yes, humans evolved to enjoy sex so that we'd keep having it. But there are a lot of things evolution favored that don't necessarily make sense in today's world. The human species isn't going to disappear from the Earth just because more people decide they don't want kids. And really, who has sex with the goal of ensuring the species survive? Maybe next time I have sex, I'll tell my partner that we're helping to ensure humans don't die out. Given that neither of us want kids, I'm sure she'll be thrilled with me saying that. What a turn on.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Quote:

Tell that to the Chinese government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships