Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
The poor have been overbreeding since the dawn of time. Since we no longer provide positions suited to their low skill set it is our responsibility to care for them with social safety nets.

Not everyone is smart or capable. That's just a sad fact of life. Shell out your taxes, shut your mouth and be glad it's not you born into poverty with an IQ of 90.

All "yous" general, of course.
At the risk of sounding like a snob, it seems these days the least educated people who cannot afford to raise children are the ones who are having them. The people opting for childfree lifestyle sadly are the ones with more going for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpa View Post
The poor have been overbreeding since the dawn of time.

Since we no longer provide positions suited to their low skill set
it is our responsibility to care for them with social safety nets.
Like pets? No thank you.

The sad reality is that the sorts of jobs that used to support most will never exist again.
Our responsibility, like charity, begins at home. If reducing their number isn't the core element
of whatever help we might provide we're doomed.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:20 AM

366 posts, read 411,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Like pets? No thank you.

The sad reality is that the sorts of jobs that used to support most will never exist again.
Our responsibility, like charity, begins at home. If reducing their number isn't the core element
of whatever help we might provide we're doomed.

We can't sterilize them. We can't kill them. The only thing we can do is save the children who are capable and hopefully teach them there is a better way to live. I think we do an ok job of that with programs for the poor.

Yeah kinda like pets. But people pets with rights.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:24 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The Midwest is definitely a factor in your frustration. You are more likely to find childfree people in liberal areas like Washington DC. I'm childfree and live in DC but far too young for your taste (26.)
I agree with Dissenter. Religion and childfreedom generally do not mix well. The OP will need to relocate to a liberal city or the suburbs of a liberal city to increase her chances of finding childfree men. I am childfree at 40 and live in the far outskirts of Boston MA. My best suggestions would be somewhere in or bordering the Bos-Wash corridor, the west coast cities or perhaps Denver.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Not true about everyone. I am past my child bearing years with no children and would gladly connect with a man who had kids and would gladly share my life with this man and his children. I would much prefer a man who already had a family to someone who had none.
But there is a difference between childless and child free. Child free chose not to have kids. Why would you prefer a man with kids? I'd never date a dad. You maybe an exception but very few people I know without kids want a parent. Some will if the parent is good looking or they are desperate but if people have a choice they will generally avoid.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I could not be with someone who subscribes to the "child free philosophy". It is evil. I am aggressively and actively against it. How can someone want the human race to commit suicide by ceasing all reproduction?? It is profoundly disturbing.

I personally do not want to have children, anymore. I wanted to when I was in my teens or early twenties but at this point, I feel that emotionally I would not make a good father, and financially and logistically it would be a disaster.

But those who are in a good position emotionally, fiscally and logically, and desire to have children, should have children. We need to continue the human race. We are morally obligated. We are the stewards of life on Earth. We need to take care of it and spread humanity and life to other worlds, in our solar system and beyond.
So it is okay for you to be childfree but it is not okay for other people to be childfree?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I knew at about age 10 or so that I wasn't going to have kids... just knew it in my heart and I haven't deviated since.

I have moments where I sometimes wonder if I made the right choice, I see some little cute kid with their parents and I have a moment where I think... damn.. I know I'd have been good dad...... but it fades quickly and only happens every so often.... I'm comfortable with my choice....

Based on my childhood for me to have that level of confidence that I would have been a good dad is funny thing..........
Wow, you were an early articulator. I did not come to the same conclusion until I reached 16-17.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
I could not be with someone who subscribes to the "child free philosophy". It is evil. I am aggressively and actively against it. How can someone want the human race to commit suicide by ceasing all reproduction?? It is profoundly disturbing.

<snip>

But those who are in a good position emotionally, fiscally and logically, and desire to have children, should have children. We need to continue the human race. We are morally obligated. We are the stewards of life on Earth. We need to take care of it and spread humanity and life to other worlds, in our solar system and beyond.
I found some flawed logic. Childfree people by definition do not desire to have children. Therefore childfree people should not have children. What is this poster's beef with childfree people? They are acting in compliance with this poster's guidance as outlined in the first sentence after the snip, look at the section I put in bold font.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Does it really matter at the end of the day?
it all works itself out

Old 02-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
So it is okay for you to be childfree but it is not okay for other people to be childfree?
I'm not "childfree".

I can't afford children or even a girlfriend right now. Emotionally I feel that I would not be a good father, also.

But UNLIKE the EVIL "childfree philosophy" people, I do think the human race needs to be perpetuated and I do think people should have kids. I would love to be a sperm donor for a lesbian couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships