Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinsPad View Post
Yes, I agree. I think people expect things from others that are out of this world.

Most expect something from others that they themselves are not willing to provide.
There is no perfect human, never has been, never will be.
There is also no perfect relationship, never has been, never will be.
Humans are their own worst enemies when it comes to what they expect from others but refuse to provide from themselves.
They set themselves up for failure with a self fulfilling prophecy because the only expectation they have about themselves and a relationship is that they will fail however, it is never their own fault because they are perfect, it is always the fault of the other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:36 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,973 times
My friends talk about finding relationships and not dating sometimes. They do complain somewhat, but I've never complained to them or even discussed my own frustrations. A few of my friends do know the kind of crap I've went through though, so some of them won't even bring up the idea of dating to me anyway.

But, if anyone here knew me IRL, they wouldn't even know I had frustrations because it's not something I talk about or even show.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 PM

535 posts, read 515,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Pretty much ALL disappointment and frustration can be traced to unmet expectations.
I think there's a religion based around that

Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Wow, being halfway through your adult life and NEVER having a romantic relationship seems OK?

I personally would call that dysfunctional. Sorry OP I mean that in a clinical way not a mean sort of way.

It's natural and healthy to wish to bond with the opposite sex.

Have you ever analysed why you haven't had one? Has anyone IRL ever mentioned it as a problem to you?
I think your post says more about you than about the OP. Why is it dysfunctional to not want a relationship? A lot of people are perfectly happy being single. They can date, have sex, etc. without actually entering into a relationship. Your post reminds me of the people who judge those who haven't been married by a certain age and it perfectly ties into what I was saying above, about how people decisions in part on what others will think. I firmly believe that many people enter into relationships because they worry that others will think there's something wrong with them if they're still single. It's no wonder so many people fail at relationships. When you get into one because you're embarrassed at being single, that relationship is doomed from the start. I applaud the OP for not caving into this societal pressure to get into a relationship, as if being single is such a horrible state of being.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:27 AM

29 posts, read 25,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think your post says more about you than about the OP. Why is it dysfunctional to not want a relationship? A lot of people are perfectly happy being single.
Seriously, I don't get certain people, what's wrong with being single as a life choice?

Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,413,622 times
When people date, they tend to idealize or self-project certain qualities they see in themselves onto other people. When they realize that their fantasies of that person (e.g., moral character, personality, values) don't mesh up with reality, when they hit the pavement sooner than the honeymoon phase ever began.. sure, unmet fantasies, desires, expectations can crush a person, because that's what crushes do- crushes crush them because they place their crushes on a pedestal.. and when the bust falls on their heads, it falls haarrd.. heheh.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:27 PM

111 posts, read 112,632 times
Yes. It is all about expectations. One end of the spectrum is hooking up- no expectations, the other is a controlling relationship. When you commit you need to communicate what it is you need from the relationship. It's about compromise. The benefit is you get to share things with someone and have companionship. It works if there is an equal give and take. It doesn't work if only one person is giving or taking.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:30 PM

718 posts, read 615,746 times
We accept the love we think we deserve.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfICould View Post
I think there's a religion based around that
I think it's a part of many.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:35 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
^^^
This.

You have to HAVE a standard (expectation) before you can have a disappointment.
One can't happen without the other.
This is correct. Once I realized this years ago, and started managing my expectations better (including having little or zero expectations when meeting a new person, seeing a movie, etc.)...I seldom felt disappointment. It was much easier to just see (and sometimes appreciate) things for what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships